Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite revolver for 38 Special?

Boolit Bub
    tazman, carelesslove here !

I agree with your selection of a S&W Model 14 as a favorite, in .38 Special !!!

I have the "Target Pair" - a K-22 and a K-38, in 8 3/8" barrels - bought them new, over 40 years ago. I have shot the K-38 more than all the rest of my guns.

In it's early years, I shot it with a whole array of .38 Special loads, but over the last 10 years, or so, I have consistently loaded it one way - a ~158 grain Cast SWC over 3.5 grains of Bullseye, for ~800 fps. The accuracy is downright boring - ~1 inch at 25 yards.

The action is slick from use and performs well in both single and double action. I like to call it my "stock PPC" gun.

Whenever I have a less than average range day, with other guns, the next range trip involves the K-38 and it's steady, standard loading. After this, all is right with the world again, and I shoot better with whatever I shoot - next time.

I have matched headstamps, and trimmed all my cases to length and pretty much standardized on a firm roll crimp to produce these results and I hope to shoot this gun - just like this - until I expire.

There is something to the phrase - "in harmony with nature". The .38 Special, in more or less standard form, a slick bore & action, tight & consistent cylinder throats, and excellent sights is harmony that is very hard to beat!

You are where you need to be - in .38 Special. The trick is to approach & experiment with increasing calibers, until you achieve the same results.

Thanks, Tom "carelesslove" Love

If there was ever a classic load for the 38 special, the 158 grain SWC over 3.5 of Bullseye is it. That load shoots accurately in every revolver I have tried it in.
    The other classic would be a 148 grain wadcutter over 2.7-3.1 of Bullseye. It seems that Bulleye and the 38 Special are an excellent combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    My old LE service revolver; a S&W M15 with a 5" heavy barrel.

Attachment 289261
    With a 5" barrel! In my yrs of snooping for S&W revolvers, that is the 1st I have seen.
    Last edited by murf205; 11-11-2021 at 08:20 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    Mine is a 66-2 that I bought as a derelict at a gun show around 2000. It was a mess. It got a complete overhaul including a yoke stretching and a barrel set-back to correct the gap and end shake. Installed a Weigand DX front sight base and rear target blade along with a .500 target trigger and after all that a bead blast to clean it up.

I also enjoy my stock Model 14 and a Stainless Blackhawk but the 66 gets the most use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66.1.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	291594

My 6 inch bbl Colt New Service from 1925. It’s been worked on so it’s got a great trigger.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Love my 1967 S&W 10-5. With 3.4 grains Bullseye under a Lee 358-158-RF it is laser accurate and easy to shoot. My 10 came from a cop's estate, I bet it could tell some stories!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

My personal favorite is a 1968 S&W 14-2 K-38 with a 6” barrel.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master
    I just reread this whole thread (I need to get a life!) and thought I would sum up my thoughts. Unlike my dear friend Dale53, I regard rubber as useful for tires and Mexican sandals, not gunstocks! The K38 I mentioned still wears its original service type magna grips. If I were going to compete with it, I would probably add a Tyler T-grip, but I love it enough to maintain its originality. The 60-4 OTOH was bought to be carried and shot, so grips are critical. I have a custom Thai made smooth finger groove combats and closed rear (in deference to Dale53). The fact that they are made of a very dark ebony like wood also makes them contrast nicely with the stainless finish of the 60-4.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I love the looks of wood grips on steel handguns. My problem is, I have never found a set that gives me the comfort and control a set of Pachmayr grips do. They just work for me so that is what I use.
    I have never handled a K frame that had a Tyler insert in the grips. That might make me change my mind. I am not in a hurry to find out though.

Boolit Master
    Yep, the K frame with wood service stocks and the Tyler T-Grip is hard to beat.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

For me a 4" L frame or K frame is about perfect. I used 6" guns on both frames for a lot of years and a lot of matches. I switched to 4" guns, the balance is much better for me.

Last week a 4" model 67 went to the range with me. (Pachmayr Presentation grips, Large, held on with speed tape.)

https://i.imgur.com/ilt2fth.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yhWQenK.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master

No love for the SP101? I bought my 3" new and it was a train wreck. I recrowned it, polished the cylinders, fire lapped the barrel, shimmed the cylinder, put a spring kit in it, corrected the POI by removing a small amount from the side of the front sight, and had Doug work his magic on the throats. Now it shoots almost as well as my longer barreled revolvers and I really like the way it sits in my hand with the Diamond Pro grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    No love for the SP101? I bought my 3" new and it was a train wreck. I recrowned it, polished the cylinders, fire lapped the barrel, shimmed the cylinder, put a spring kit in it, corrected the POI by removing a small amount from the side of the front sight, and had Doug work his magic on the throats. Now it shoots almost as well as my longer barreled revolvers and I really like the way it sits in my hand with the Diamond Pro grips.
    What you now have is a custom revolver and still "shoots ALMOST as well as my longer barreled revolvers".
    Seems to be a lot of effort to spend on a revolver that should be good when it leaves the factory.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    What you now have is a custom revolver and still "shoots ALMOST as well as my longer barreled revolvers".
    Seems to be a lot of effort to spend on a revolver that should be good when it leaves the factory.
    I agree that Ruger dropped the ball on this one. I could have sent it in, but I decided to fix it myself and picked up some knowledge/skill along the way. Only reason it doesn't shoot quite as well as my longer revolvers is sight radius and my eyes. I made a belt holster for it, but usually just slip the holstered gun in my pocket. The compact size and the pride of my (and Doug's) workmanship make it my favorite even if it isn't quite as accurate (in my hands) as a 6".

Boolit Buddy

S&W Model 15

Name:	boxofbullets-1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	291905
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master
    Tazman, I too find that rubber grips work best for me but my preference is for the old Uncle Mike’s. I have them on my 686-1 and my M10-6. I just wish I had some for my 27 but I’ve only seen them for K/L frames.

Boolit Buddy
    For me its a toss up between the Colt Officers model w/Heavy barrel or Shooting Master. I think I prefer the Shooting Master as the grip frame is larger, but if I am going to be shooting a bit its weight does become tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    I agree that Ruger dropped the ball on this one. I could have sent it in, but I decided to fix it myself and picked up some knowledge/skill along the way. Only reason it doesn't shoot quite as well as my longer revolvers is sight radius and my eyes. I made a belt holster for it, but usually just slip the holstered gun in my pocket. The compact size and the pride of my (and Doug's) workmanship make it my favorite even if it isn't quite as accurate (in my hands) as a 6".
    I have a model 60 S&W 3 inch. It is an older version and is 38 Special only. I was expecting the sight radius to make a difference in accuracy but for some reason, this revolver shoots just as well as any of my others. It just isn't my favorite.

Boolit Master

I've got 2. Both are pre-war S&W M&P's that have family history as law enforcement carry sidearms. My family have a deep history with the Southern Railway Police and these two were carried by a Grandfather and a Great Uncle. I cherish them and shoot them regularly.

Name:	20141122_143445.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	291928

Semper Fi.

Boolit Man
    As a 38 Special: I swap between a K38 based Clark Light Revolver, 6", 19-5 and a 586 no dash. I did take out my 1953 vintage Combat Masterpiece to our little match last Wednesday. The gun was otherworldly accurate. The revolver I have been using most recently is the 586 6" I like the older Smith's. Revolvers rule.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast