Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite revolver for 38 Special?

Boolit Master
    Have a 1952 Heavy Duty 4" that is a joy to shoot with any .38 Special load from wadcutters to full .38-44s...

#2 would be a S&W 649 stainless Humpy....

Last edited by RJM52; 09-30-2021 at 10:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Favorite would be hard to designate because it depends on what I am shooting. For centerfire Bullseye shooting I am still undecided. My Python shoots the most accurate but for shooting timed and rapid fire, it just doesn't fit quite right because the hammer for me is not in the right place for easy shooting. My Model 14 is as accurate but more finicky about loads but my knuckle hits the front of the trigger guard and starts to hurt but it is easy to cock with one hand. My model 27 or 28's are the easiest for me to shoot with one hand but they can not be made as accurate. For Bullseye I usually shoot the Model 14 and put up with it. If I shoot steel plates, my Model 10 4 inch barrel is the best. I like it better than my Model 15 4 inch even though it has adjustable sights. If I shoot bug gun I shoot my 64 3 inch but don't care a lot for it. When I bring all these guns to a shootout where most hardly ever shoot any guns, they also prefer the Model 10 after trying all of them. The first one they go to is the Python because it is pretty and the second is the 27. Just like me the Model 15 is the least liked and I have no idea why. It is all up to what some one likes because we are all different as far as this is concerned.

Boolit Grand Master
    RJM--

One of my Grail Guns, sir. NICE!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    On my previous post (#59) I mentioned the Model 15 that got away years ago. It came back to me today just out of the blue. Sometimes the stars seem to line up just right.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    S&W M10, only I couldn't find one so I got a S&W Model 64-3 and it seems great But I'd happily use an M27 if "forced to" LOL

All of them are fun, TBH

Boolit Grand Master

curiousgeorge;
    I am happy for you. My Model 15 was given to my daughter-in-law as she needed a house gun. She shoots it well! As I have stated before, a Model 15 is a most useful (as well as desirable) piece both “On the Range and In The Field”. They are a genuine pleasure to shoot AND carry!

Dale53

Boolit Mold
    I have several but my favorite is a Gp-100 4 inch. It’s just a fun gun to shoot specials in and it’s crazy accurate with a medium load of w231 and a 158 grain cast.

My choice for a good .38 special is actually two: both Smiths...models 66 & 19. I particularly like the added benefit that they'll take .357's if that's what's available. Mine are equally accurate with 3.5 gr of BE in Spl brass & Lyman's 35891 as well as 4.0 gr of BE in Magnum cases, same bullet. 4" bbl'd Chrono data (850 fps) is virtually the same for both loads. I size them to 0.358" with ACWW alloy for those of you interested.

Dale: The model 15 you describe was the USAF issue revolver for flight crews during my 1st tour in Vietnam, 1970. Mine was an almost new one, but suffered (or I should say I suffered, from its Magna grips that left the 2nd finger unsupported while firing).

The gun was primarily a signaling device with small .38 Special flare rounds that we were supposed to fire up through the triple canopy when shot down! Unfortunately, they looked a lot like US tracer which the VC had in abundance, so I know of no one that actually used them as designed. Several weeks into my tour, I returned it to the squadron armorer at Bien Hoa and acquired a .45 1911, courtesy of the 5th Spl Forces guys I was flying for and living with. Later, my predecessor left his Hi Power when he DEROS'd. Flying O-1E Bird Dogs, (Army = L-19), our primary weapon, ground or flight, was a CAR-15...predecessor to the M4. Slung from the cockpit door ejection handle with two bandoliers of magazines, it was a hellofa weapon if needed.

Best Regards, Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 10-03-2021 at 08:49 PM.
    Rod

Boolit Man
    My 4" Model 15 is my favorite,

but I would take a 5" Model 15 in a heartbeat!

Mackay, that's a well worn but obviously well cared for, & ACCURATE Model 15. Ever tried it with one of the grip adapters (Tyler-T, Smith or Redfield), that fill in the space behind the trigger guard? So fitted they really fit me to a "T" and are perhaps the best 'feeling' grips on any S&W for my hands. Rod
    Rod

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodfac View Post
    Mackay, Ever tried it with one of the grip adapters (Tyler-T, Smith or Redfield), that fill in the space behind the trigger guard? So fitted they really fit me to a "T" and are perhaps the best 'feeling' grips on any S&W for my hands. Rod
    Agree with Rod. Have Tyler T-Grips on several of my Smith & Wessons.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

The only true 38 special I have owned was S&W -K 38 6” from the 50’s. I didn’t appreciate it well enough because I traded it and a nice LC Smith featherweight 16 ga. for a large custom gun safe from Smith safe Co.
    I was given a snub nosed Taurus to hold for someone and did finally get that person to take it back so I never felt it was mine. I have owned several 357 revolvers but the K 38 was the only one.

Jedman

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA280139.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	289709

My 3' m60

Boolit Master
    Have a 1956 vintage 4" K-38 that is a sweet cast shooter. Likes a .358" boolit. Put a 13# trigger return spring in it and the action is sweet.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

I suppose it would depend on my intended purpose for the gun. A plain old Colt 4'' Official Police would suit me just fine for most occasions.

I have only one 38spl gun now and is my favourite...a 5" Model 10 Smith. Of my L frames I do have a 105.14" barreled Model 686 No Dash which is the shortest barreled gun I can legally own up here. Apparently anything 105MM or less barreled guns are Baby killers. Stupid gun laws.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I'd have to go with my one and only item in my collection that uses .38 Special, my S&W Model 10-5 from the late 60's. Upon further inspection, the thing didn't exactly come externally pristine from the pawn shop I got it from, but it's internally pristine and functions like it's brand new! I have a T-Grip on mine since I don't have 1899 sized hands. I am certainly spoiled for choice with grip styles, I'm partial to the Houge Monogrip I have handy, as it's super comfy and supportive. But for looks, I like the Magnas or the M1917 style ones I got from a fellow castboolits member. oddly enough, the grips that it came with are actually mismatched. It only took a look at Jim Supica's book for me to figure out that one of the grips was from a different era altogether.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	105 with TGrip.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	289732

I know this thing's nice and accurate, but I guess I have to be the one to make use of its potential.

I have been lucky to pick up a couple of K frame Smiths that were poorly stored for cheap. The outside finish was rusted and some pitting. The cylinders and bores were pristine. Apparently, whoever owned them left them set in the bottom of a desk drawer or in a case for long periods of non use.
    Both of these revolvers shoot great. They are just not as pretty as some.
    Then again, pretty is as pretty does. Both of these shoot very pretty targets.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rodfac View Post
    My choice for a good .38 special is actually two: both Smiths...models 66 & 19. I particularly like the added benefit that they'll take .357's if that's what's available. Mine are equally accurate with 3.5 gr of BE in Spl brass & Lyman's 35891 as well as 4.0 gr of BE in Magnum cases, same bullet. 4" bbl'd Chrono data (850 fps) is virtually the same for both loads. I size them to 0.358" with ACWW alloy for those of you interested.

Dale: The model 15 you describe was the USAF issue revolver for flight crews during my 1st tour in Vietnam, 1970. Mine was an almost new one, but suffered (or I should say I suffered, from its Magna grips that left the 2nd finger unsupported while firing).

The gun was primarily a signaling device with small .38 Special flare rounds that we were supposed to fire up through the triple canopy when shot down! Unfortunately, they looked a lot like US tracer which the VC had in abundance, so I know of no one that actually used them as designed. Several weeks into my tour, I returned it to the squadron armorer at Bien Hoa and acquired a .45 1911, courtesy of the 5th Spl Forces guys I was flying for and living with. Later, my predecessor left his Hi Power when he DEROS'd. Flying O-1E Bird Dogs, (Army = L-19), our primary weapon, ground or flight, was a CAR-15...predecessor to the M4. Slung from the cockpit door ejection handle with two bandoliers of magazines, it was a hellofa weapon if needed.

Best Regards, Rod
    Rod;
    Good to see you here (again)! My solution for the grip problems with nearly every revolver I shoot (mostly Smith's and Rugers) are Pachmayr rubber grips. Many slam them for their looks. I am MUCH more interested in performance, and many, many years ago, I realized I just flat shot Pachmayrs better and WITHOUT pain!

I have long fingers and need the back strap covered and also protection behind the trigger guard. Pachmayrs give that to me. The Model 15 is completely comfortable for me to shoot both "On the Range and in the Field!" Right now, as I stated in an earlier post my most shot revolver in .38 Special, right now, is my Smith Model 520 (with target sights, compound barrel and Titanium cylinder). Mostly I shoot the .38 Special full charge wadcutter that you do - 3.5 grs. of Bullseye or equivalent behind a 148 gr solid wadcutter (either the H&G #50 or the H&G # 251 dbl ended w/c. They cut clean holes and shoot under an inch at 25 yards, and have excellent terminal effect and cut clean holes in the target (paper or meat). So, AGAIN, we are pretty much in agreement

Dale53

Hard to have just one favorite. I love my smith 19s and 66s especially my 6 inch versions. Yesterday I shot some 1 inch 6 shot 148 grain wadcutter loads off a rest with a 6 inch 686 no dash. Damn close to that with a 6 inch ruger security six. I won’t even talk about my 4 inch Smith 15 or 6 inch model 10 with ppc conversion. I did not satisfactorily answer the question did I?��

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast