Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite revolver for 38 Special?

What is your favorite revolver for 38 Special?

There are many revolvers out there in which 38 Special will work just fine. Any 357 mag revolver will handle them as well as any revolver chambered for the 38 Special itself.
    So many have been made over the last hundred years that nearly anyone who shoots has fired one at some point.
    I am not going to limit this question to revolvers chambered only in 38 Special. Any revolver that can handle the cartridge counts, including those chambered for 357 Max/etc.

What I want you to talk about is your favorite revolver to shoot the ubiquitous 38 Special and why?

Mine is my S&W 14 of which I have two. I shoot them more than any other handgun I own. I don't necessarily shoot them better than others. It just feel right to me.
    I have other revolvers in both 38 Special and 357 Mag, but the Model 14 gets the call most often.

Boolit Master

2 inch S&W Model 60. Fits comfortably in a back pocket with holster, or in a jacket pocket, or even on a belt holster. Good for 15 Yards; although many years ago when the eyes were better; and equipped with a Tyler T-Grip to better fit my large hand - I could hit 4 of 5 and often 5 of 5 Twelve Gauge Shotgun shells sitting on a target stand at 25 yards.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had 10 .38/.357 revolvers, but none were as sweet as my first...Colt Officers. And not too far behind that a S&W M52.

Yea...I know the M52 is not a revolver.....so I guess second would be the K-38
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

WOW, I have a lot of choices but would have to go with my 2" model 36. My model 10 is fun to shoot as well as my 66, 586, 19, 642. But the 36 is just so danged handy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36 642.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	289234
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Ruger 3" LCRx 38 SP+P. I know it is not "pretty", but the OP asked about favorite gun to shoot, not look at.

The LCR series was designed for double action with a DA trigger that just "feels right" to me.

The LCRx added single action capability, adjustable sights and a 3" barrel. Shooting to point of aim with different loads is no problem and in my opinion the 3" adds to both usefulness and fun factor without making the gun too big.

With light loads, the gun is just plain fun to shoot in both SA and DA.

It shoots fine with +p 158 gr loads, but I seldom shoot them. They are not so much fun - recoil is more than I like. This make sense given the gun only weighs something like 16 oz. But it nice to know it is rated to handle unlimited quantities of the +P loads.

Cost was very reasonable.
    Last edited by P Flados; 09-25-2021 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have had 10 .38/.357 revolvers, but none were as sweet as my first...Colt Officers. And not too far behind that a S&W M52.

Yea...I know the M52 is not a revolver.....so I guess second would be the K-38
    The M52 and the Colt 1911 Gold cup, both in 38 Special, were the reason I specified revolvers. I have never fired either of those two pistols and probably never will. I wouldn't be able to shoot them any better than I do my revolvers, so what would be the point.
    The 38 Special was made for revolvers and that is the point of this thread.

Boolit Master

COLT Official Police 6" bbl,
    purchased by My Dad new in 1954. Same year I was born. Wanted that revolver since I was old enough to say "Revolver".
    He gave it to me 2 weeks before He passed in June 1988.
    Yep it's My favorite.
    But I sure do Love My old S&W Model 14, and 1976 Colt Cobra.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

My wife's S&W Model 15 4" barrel and my S&W Model 13 with 3" barrel. I really like the K frames. james

Banned
    S&W Model 65 3" bobbed hammer, trigger job, Pachmayer grips, clip draw. Been edc since 1993. Fits my hand, comfortable at 4 o'clock, more accurate than I am.

Moderator Emeritus

I like the model 14 for range work and the 15 for field work. Basically the same other than 4" vs 6".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I had a S&W M60 (2", 38spl only in SS) when I was working that would out shoot the issued 4" S&W M10's. Made the mistake of selling it when I retired. Right now it would be a S&W M10, 2", that I was issued and able to purchase when we switched to Glocks.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the 4 or 6in S&W's (pre-lock only) in .38. Got tired of scrubbing the ring out of a .357 so I load light .357's for those now and keep the 38's in 38's.

GP100 or 586/686

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master
    For a range toy, its a tossup between a Colt Officer's Model Match or a S&W K-38, depending on how I shoot that day.

For a duty gun role, it is awful hard to beat a three or four inch K frame. Although I would like to have a 4" Model 12.

For concealed carry one of the DAO Airweights makes a lot of sense to me.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

My favourite is a 1980-manufactured 4" heavy pin-barreled Smith & Wesson Model 64! While it has no adjustable sights to possibly get misaligned from wear, its fixed sights are easily recalled (e.g., a tad on the "high" side with my ammo) for good accuracy. With rubber (Hogue, or Pachmyr? I do not recall which) grips a great amount of recoil is absorbed. (Factory wood grips are stored in box revolver came in) I have a Galco holster which fits it "better than a glove" -- and... to me both the revolver as well as holstered revolver -- are most pleasing to the eye!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    1952 S&W Outdoorsman (pre-Model 23) w/magna grips. Also S&W Model 27, essentially the same gun in .357 Magnum.

Boolit Man
    I have a S&W 10-8 RB with a 4" HB that I carry for duty and a S&W 15 that I carry working on the farm. I never could understand why someone would buy a k frame 38 when you could buy one in 357, until I bought one, then two. Now I am on the lookout for more. I am looking for a nice S&W 14 now.

Boolit Grand Master

My old LE service revolver; a S&W M15 with a 5" heavy barrel.

Attachment 289261
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Hello, My name is Glen and I am an addict. I cannot resist snub-nose .38 revolvers. My favorite is my Nickle Colt Detective special, but I love 'em all. I have been hankering for a model 12 Smith.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3819 (2).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	289254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3801.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	289255Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0480.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	289256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0472.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	289257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kids 131.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	289258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3753.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	289259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	289260
    I have several others not pictured.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

My real 'favorite' is the 4" Colt Diamondback that lives on my wife's side of the bed when it's not at the range. Otherwise, I lean toward the 3" SP101 with a kitchen-table trigger job and Hogue grips.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast