WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I want to make a few 44mag wrist breakers.

Wrist breakers are also gun breakers. Newer guns have an Endurance Package. My OLD 29-2. Repaired in 2018.

Boolit Master
    l would say just buy a box of .44 mag hunting loads but they want and arm and a leg anymore for those loads.
    The heavier the bullet, the heavier the recoil.
    Load a few 300 grain starting loads from the reload recipes,then try a few reloads halfway between those loads and the max loads listed.
    I'll bet that will satisfy you and not hurt the gun any.
    Just make sure you get a good crimp on those .44 mag 300 grain loads for complete powder burn and you will get plenty healthy recoil.
    You also need that crimp to keep the last couple loads in the cylinder from being pulled out of the cases from the recoil of the first four shots.
    I would reserve the full blown max loads shown to shoot from a super Redhawk.
    The max loads will pein the crane and cylinder holes on a Smith and ruin any accuracy the gun possessed as well as reducing that fine gun to rattily junk. All IMHO. Seen it done by others.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 09-26-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    …and after “one” pull of the trigger with a power load it’s not fun imo anymore…its punishment on your hand and your pistol. Here is my S&W 329NG next to my Anaconda…

Most people I know have the 4.5” barreled version of the 329NG. To be honest I wish mine was since the longer barreled version has adjustable sights. My 2.5” version is pretty accurate out to 30 yards. I’ve never tested it at longer distances. A mild to starting load in the 329NG with a 240 grain bullet is more than most can tolerate for recoil.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-26-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Boolit Master

I really can't give my comments on this thread...I'd be banned for doing so.

But giving load advice to a person seeking this type of load is playing with fire.

We're a litigious society, I fear that sooner, rather than later, someone is going to lose their house because they foolishly gave load advice on a thread like this.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I agree. I WILL mention names of individual powders and weights/designs of boolits but NEVER EVER give out specific loads for anything! There is enough proven data in load books and maker's websites to provide anyone with a computer and half a brain enough actual tested load data to keep them busy for a long time.

Boolit Master

Recoil is a very subjective thing. It can be a rush, and I got hooked myself. I went big with the .500 Linebaugh. Full house load with that, are my limit. I am man enough to admit that. It is the only gun that I own that I typically wear gloves when firing it. If there is something out there much worse, I want no part of it.

Boolit Master
    There is no need to build heavy wrist breaking loads unless YOU are going to shoot them. If some one wants to shoot your gun just say NO. there is no need to make some one hate to shoot, It doesn't do our sport any good at all.
    Last edited by tdoor4570; 09-30-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice to hear a few voices of reason and common sense.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We throw people off our ranges who intentionally make hot loads for new shooters. Great way to make new anti-gunners. Don't be a jerk.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Wrist breakers are also gun breakers. Newer guns have an Endurance Package. My OLD 29-2. Repaired in 2018.
    I sure need to send mine in for the same work I bought it in the mid 70s I have put a shim kit bandaid in it to fix the end shake but but it needs that fixed properly and the barrel set back and the forcing cone recut.
    You have inspired me

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I simply would not do that to a novice shooter.
    I agree.

But if you are willing to see somebody get hurt or your gun flying across the range, knock yourself out...maybe even literally.
    Last edited by bowfin; 09-30-2021 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added last sentence

If you want max recoil go 300-320gr pushed by max load of W296/H110. Recoil & blast are impressive.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I agree 100%. Other than showing how tough one is, and scaring off potential new shooters, I fail to see the point. A couple of years ago I let a buddy shoot my Ruger BH in 44 Special. He had never shot one before. It was running about 894 fps with a 240 grain swc's. He was grinning after the first couple of rounds. H was afraid it would be a thumper. He went ahead and shot some more rounds. He had no idea it would be so pleasant to shoot.
    Well that is because you didnt give him a 44mag to shoot. I agree though about new shooters & surprise magnum loads. Its just stupid.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Whose idea is it to intentionally give somebody something that could hurt them that's really stupid!!

Who would think that they could sue somebody, somebody who repeated data, what they saw in a book? Why don't they just follow the money, sue hodgdon and lyman if their gun pops?

I was under the impression that this thread was to seek a consensus for safe load data as a demonstration of what 44 Magnum is safely capable of.

Loading 44 magnum dangerous off the reservation max loads and handing them to somebody who's not expecting them is so incredibly stupid... is that what this thread is about??

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Whose idea is it to intentionally give somebody something that could hurt them that's really stupid!!

Who would think that they could sue somebody, somebody who repeated data, what they saw in a book? Why don't they just follow the money, sue hodgdon and lyman if their gun pops?

I was under the impression that this thread was to seek a consensus for safe load data as a demonstration of what 44 Magnum is safely capable of.

Loading 44 magnum dangerous off the reservation max loads and handing them to somebody who's not expecting them is so incredibly stupid... is that what this thread is about??

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Sounds like it to me:

"I want to make a few 44 MAG wrist breaker cartridges as a "That's not a knife, this is a knife" type thing for the guests that I bring to the range that want to shoot "the big stuff". It has to be something that a six inch Smith and Wesson 629 can handle as I know the 629 is a little more delicate when compared to the Ruger revolvers that are built like tanks.

What powder and bullet combinations have you all had success with when it came to making a few punishing cartridges?"

The OP hasn't been back to clarify but it sounds like he wants to laugh like a ******* while a 'guest' of his tries to shake the pain out of their wrist and elbow.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I think there are a lot of assumptions being made in this thread, perhaps based on negative previous experiences. The scenario presented by the OP does not require that the guest shooter of these loads be a hapless victim of a cruel joke. In fact, what they describe can be very useful in illustrating the wide range of power that can span across guns or even a single cartridge. It is common for some types of shooters to be curious and want to try "the big stuff," and as long as they are given sufficient warning and instruction in recoil management there is no reason to deny them the experience.

I have had guests that were excited to shoot my Mauser, for instance, precisely because it is a powerful cartridge. Honestly, I don't enjoy shooting full power 198gr loads out of it, but they certainly did. I have seen similar things elsewhere - an older gentleman with a Contender pistol in 45-70 was constantly being asked if he would let others shoot it at the range precisely because the recoil was visibly extraordinary.

The key here is information. In the Crocodile Dundee scenario in the OP, the very nature of the demonstration is contingent on the fact that the shooter has been informed of the impressive power of the gun before shooting it. I think it's a mistake to assume that the OP is a jerk based solely on the evidence in the thread.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123