Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to make a few 44mag wrist breakers.

Moderator Emeritus

To answer your question, I would say to load the Lee 310 gr. boolits with a published Max load of H110. It should end up being an accurate load as well
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I guess for folks that want to experience recoil its just too bad you can't rent a 700 Nitro Express for a day.
    then the inexperienced can mess up wrist and shoulder at the same time

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I shoot a 250 gr. boolit over 12 gr. of HS-6 out of my Super Blackhawk. Good utility loading.
    Good Indeed!

As to heavy loads for the uninitiated or excessive loads in a 629, I don’t go there.

If you want a heavy load for yourself then a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk in .44mag. stoked with the Lee 310 gr GC and a full charge (per load manual) of H110 ought to cure the itch.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

24gr H110/win296 and a 240gr is about as hot as I'd go in a S&W

this is 31.5gr H110 over a 180gr XTP, less muzzle flip, more flash and velocity

the LEE 310gr FP is a monster with a max load of magnum powder ( note 45ACP brass for size comparison )

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    24gr H110/win296 and a 240gr is about as hot as I'd go in a S&W

this is 31.5gr H110 over a 180gr XTP, less muzzle flip, more flash and velocity

the LEE 310gr FP is a monster with a max load of magnum powder ( note 45ACP brass for size comparison )

The fireball pic is a GREAT shot!
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    Just a word of caution , I handed a young family member a 44 in the 80s that he wanted to shoot , he gripped it with both hands & let it rip . He is a grown man now with a scar on his forehead from the hammer - thank goodness it wasn't his eyes .

Boolit Master

I can`t speak for the S&W 629 but I had a S&W M29.
    This was the early days of IHMSA.
    It was totally wore out in 5K full house rounds.
    These are not tough guns.
    If you want to shoot a lot of hot 44 Mag loads buy a Ruger.
    The SBH or the RH will take it.
    Last edited by dale2242; 09-27-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaak View Post
    I want to make a few 44 MAG wrist breaker cartridges as a "That's not a knife, this is a knife" type thing for the guests that I bring to the range that want to shoot "the big stuff". It has to be something that a six inch Smith and Wesson 629 can handle as I know the 629 is a little more delicate when compared to the Ruger revolvers that are built like tanks.

What powder and bullet combinations have you all had success with when it came to making a few punishing cartridges?
    The 44 Mag is plenty big enough without pushing it. Why don't you hand them a gun full of your favorite loads; the stuff you like to shoot?
    Too many stories about people who tried it once and never tried it again because someone handed a new shooter Too Much Gun.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Pick up a S&W 329NG. It’s an extremely light, 2.5” barreled, titanium pistol. With mild loads it will feel like it brakes your wrist and throw fire balls like you’ve never seen. I put over 200 rounds through it in one session last year while I shimmed the rear sight. Normally after 6 rounds without gloves I don’t want to shoot it again. It’s my conceal and carry pistol.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I don't think this is the best idea. I dunno...Just don't see you getting much advice here on this.
    Looks like you underestimated our little band of enablers...LOL!!!

But I agree with you....this is not a good idea on so many levels.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Pick up a S&W 329NG. It’s an extremely light, 2.5” barreled, titanium pistol. With mild loads it will feel like it brakes your wrist and throw fire balls like you’ve never seen. I put over 200 rounds through it in one session last year while I shimmed the rear sight. Normally after 6 rounds without gloves I don’t want to shoot it again. It’s my conceal and carry pistol.
    Now you're talking! Or get the S&W 500 with the 4" barrel. Chop and recrown the barrel to get rid of the compensator. 500g JSP over 49g of Lil' Gun.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    H110 is the ONLY powder I use to make full-house 44M loads. The stuff was designed for it! I rarely shoot them except when a friend at the range wants to get up close and personal with "the most powerful hand gun made by man" according to Harry. I always have at least 20 available for demonstration to unwary onlookers (suckers)!

I mostly light load 44M and 44SPL cases to shoot like 45LC loads. My bone doctor agrees!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    The 44 Mag is plenty big enough without pushing it. Why don't you hand them a gun full of your favorite loads; the stuff you like to shoot?
    Too many stories about people who tried it once and never tried it again because someone handed a new shooter Too Much Gun.
    I agree 100%. Other than showing how tough one is, and scaring off potential new shooters, I fail to see the point. A couple of years ago I let a buddy shoot my Ruger BH in 44 Special. He had never shot one before. It was running about 894 fps with a 240 grain swc's. He was grinning after the first couple of rounds. H was afraid it would be a thumper. He went ahead and shot some more rounds. He had no idea it would be so pleasant to shoot.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

One thing I really like to do with 44 mag is to bring my three standard 44 mag loads.
    Trailboss: ~700 or so fps
    Unique: ~1100 fps
    W296: ~1450 fps

I put them in Trailboss, Unique, W296. This lets people know that the 44 magnum round can be very different things.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    When I take new shooters out and we get through .22 and light 38 loads and they want to shoot a 44 magnum then it’s Elmers gallery load of 5 grains of Bullseye with a 240 SWC. When they get comfortable with that then we start moving up to 44 special loads in 44 mag brass and some do get up to full magnum loads but that usually takes a couple of trips to the range.
    I’ve yet to have any develop a bad flinch.

Boolit Master
    I simply would not do that to a novice shooter.

FFFG to the base of the lubed lead bullets. Not bad recoil but oh, the show!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Best way I can think of to ruin a potential new handgunner.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Well said Thumbcocker. Why would anyone want to discourage a new shooter by doing this?
    Besides that, it looks like an accident waiting to happen. Don't do it....
    leadhead

Back when I was young and bulletproof I shot Keith's load of 22.0 grains of 2400 quite a bit out of a 6" 629. My wrist was pretty tender the next day. When I was just starting out with pistols and long before I got the S&W I had a boss that thought it funny to start me out with easy loads in a SBH for 6 rounds then gave me max loads the next 6. I just about had that front sight embedded in my forehead, I didn't much trust him after that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast