Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Precision Customer Service Total Fail

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Precision Customer Service Total Fail

Some time ago i won at auction a nice haul which I described in another thread. Included in it was a Lee 4 20 Pro that had been modified into a dipper and was missing all the bottom pour stuff plus the heat shield . After making sure it worked i thought id ask lee about the parts mostly the heat shield. If they had the parts in stock etc.thinking at worst i had a working melter.

So i sent a message about that asking if they had parts in stock describing the Pro noting that it had been modified into a melter and if they had parts on stock for it. I got a response from "Ann" asking for pictures. Thinking they wanted to nail down what it might need i took several and off they went. To my surprise a few days later Ann asked me to send it in for free repair or replacement and provided return shipping labels if i paid the shipping. I was stunned at this above and beyond customer service but said heck yeah!

$30 boxed up sent. A few days later got a call from "Betsy". The unit had been modified and couldnt be fixed but they would sell me a new one half price at $65 plus shipping. Uh...no kidding it was modified as i said that in the original message and all i wanted was parts not shell out over $100 as i had 3 pots already Back and forth told her to throw it out and i would consider the $30 a lesson learned.

Next day got an email from Ann that i could have a $56 gift certificate for the modified melter, they were quite fixated on that cyoa term. I replied to cancel that as i had no intention of buying anything from them again

So $56 - $30 = $26 for something i wasnt interested in buying in exchange for a pot that worked and I sent in at their request which i would never have done on my own.

A company should not promise something out of the blue then realize their mistake and offer a half baked solution. Remember, all i wanted was to buy a heat shield and other parts if in stock. Now i have no pot and am out $30.
    Last edited by jonp; 09-24-2021 at 04:21 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Know the feeling, I quit anything lee a long time ago when I got a bad set of .223 rem dies from them. Someone had put a .244 expander in the sizer die so you had a fun time getting the case in and back out. Stupid young me I called lee told them the problem and wanted to buy a correct size expander only to be told I didn't know what I was talking about thats the correct size and I MUST be doing something very wrong. The joker on the other end of the phone got it back just as fowl as he gave it , the dies went in the trash , and its been rcbs ever since.

Moderator Emeritus

I stumbled into a used Pro 4-20 pot that needed some help...this was in the "before times" so parts were in stock. They offer many of the parts to rebuild a pot for free, you just pay shipping. So I ordered everything I needed, plus a few other parts for a Pro-Disk measure, also free. A large box of parts arrived and I had to pay was $21 shipping.
    I realize this doesn't help you at all, but anyone else reading here with a lead pot project, don't bother to call, just order their free parts online.
    That's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Some time ago i won at auction a nice haul which I described in another thread. Included in it was a Lee 4 20 Pro that had been modified into a dipper and was missing all the bottom pour stuff plus the heat shield . After making sure it worked i thought id ask lee about the parts mostly the heat shield. If they had the parts in stock etc.thinking at worst i had a working melter.

So i sent a message about that asking if they had parts in stock describing the Pro noting that it had been modified into a melter and if they had parts on stock for it. I got a response from "Ann" asking for pictures. Thinking they wanted to nail down what it might need i took several and off they went. To my surprise a few days later Ann asked me to send it in for free repair or replacement and provided return shipping labels if i paid the shipping. I was stunned at this above and beyond customer service but said heck yeah!

$30 boxed up sent. A few days later got a call from "Betsy". The unit had been modified and couldnt be fixed but they would sell me a new one half price at $65 plus shipping. Uh...no kidding it was modified as i said that in the original message and all i wanted was parts not shell out over $100 as i had 3 pots already Back and forth told her to throw it out and i would consider the $30 a lesson learned.

Next day got an email from Betsy that i could have a $56 gift certificate for the modified melter, they were quite fixated on that cyoa term. I replied to cancel that as i had no intention of buying anything from them again

So $56 - $30 = $26 for something i wasnt interested in buying in exchange for a pot that worked and I sent in at their request which i would never have done on my own.

A company should not promise something out of the blue then realize their mistake and offer a half baked solution. Remember, all i wanted was to buy a heat shield and other parts if in stock. Now i have no pot and am out $30.
    Not a ding on you as I was not there to witness the interaction but; I bet if you had requested to talk to "Ann" this would have been corrected right off, or, if explained to "Betsy" that you had an email explaining the modified condition was stated before you shipped it, she too would have made things right. Most times customer service folks (not just Lee) will try and make their company take the least amount of loss, but in the end will make things right as their reputation, reputable companies anyway, is worth more to them than even a new piece of equipment.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I stumbled into a used Pro 4-20 pot that needed some help...this was in the "before times" so parts were in stock. They offer many of the parts to rebuild a pot for free, you just pay shipping. So I ordered everything I needed, plus a few other parts for a Pro-Disk measure, also free. A large box of parts arrived and I had to pay was $21 shipping.
    I realize this doesn't help you at all, but anyone else reading here with a lead pot project, don't bother to call, just order their free parts online.
    That's my 2˘
    Good advice.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    That's my 2˘
    Words to the wise. That is what I should have done.
    I bought a used Lee O Press and the linkage busted after some use. A few back and forths and i paid cost for a couple of the parts but the most were updated parts free except shipping. More than fair
    Last edited by jonp; 09-24-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Banned
    I wonder if the deal they offered you is transferrable..I'll take it if it is.

Boolit Grand Master

If I made $26.00 on a deal ... I wouldn't complain too much .
    Could have easily lost $30.00 and then had something to complain about .
    As Deals go ... you win some , You loose some and some get rained out !
    This deal got rained out .
    At least you didn't get burned .

I would have asked about a deal on a Lee Magnum Melter ...Call Ann and see if she can help you .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I kind of get what you are saying, that they should not have asked you to send it in if they were not certain they had the correct parts. On the other hand, what you had was essentially worthless, modified, who knows how old, and they were willing to give you a $56 credit for a brand new one. You bought an unknown, used, low price melting pot sight unseen, and the chips didn't fall in your favor this time. You won't convince me that Lee did anything wrong here.

Boolit Master
    I have a lee 10 pot, and tried ordering the parts from Lee. They wouldn't take my order, cuz they would have to collect sales tax, since I live in Michigan, and the state wants their cut. I'm left wondering what sales tax when the parts are free to me, except the shipping. Go figure.

Boolit Master

Well, my experience was better than I expected. I broke off a drill bit in the spout of my 10 lb pot. I called them and might have talked to Ann, anyway she suggested I send it in and since they had parts on hand for that pot they would repair it at no cost to me and mail it back as a plan A, Plan B would be to sell me a replacement at the 1/2 retail cost.. I insisted it was my fault it needed fixing. She said it didn't matter. They did exactly what the promised ,Plan A, and now I have two pots because I had already bought another one. I have had other items replaced also and do recommend Lee products.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I kind of get what you are saying, that they should not have asked you to send it in if they were not certain they had the correct parts. On the other hand, what you had was essentially worthless, modified, who knows how old, and they were willing to give you a $56 credit for a brand new one. You bought an unknown, used, low price melting pot sight unseen, and the chips didn't fall in your favor this time. You won't convince me that Lee did anything wrong here.
    No, that is not what I am saying. I wrote to them asking if they had the parts in stock intending to purchase and install them myself. That's all I wanted. They replied asking for pictures then telling me to send it to them at my expense for "fixing or replacing it for free" which was not something I was looking for. I sent it to them with this promise in mind and then they backtracked as fast as they could from it. They should not have said something they didn't intend to follow through on but they could have just sent it back to me and apologized stating they didn't have the parts. I'd have been out the $30 due to them but ok. Now I am out the money and don't have a functional melter. To "make it right" and offer to let me spend another $75 to get something I didn't want then compound that by offering a gift certificate for $26 is ridiculous. Can you buy a melting pot for $26?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    Well, my experience was better than I expected. I broke off a drill bit in the spout of my 10 lb pot. I called them and might have talked to Ann, anyway she suggested I send it in and since they had parts on hand for that pot they would repair it at no cost to me and mail it back as a plan A, Plan B would be to sell me a replacement at the 1/2 retail cost.. I insisted it was my fault it needed fixing. She said it didn't matter. They did exactly what the promised ,Plan A, and now I have two pots because I had already bought another one. I have had other items replaced also and do recommend Lee products.
    I would have taken that deal, too. Ann did not offer that. If they did not have the parts in stock after receiving the pictures then she could have just said so. At that point if she had offered to sell me a new one at 1/2 price I would have declined as I don't have a need for a 4th one. Done.

Boolit Master

On a side note they treated you much better then S&W treated me a few years ago when I had a defect return . Not only did they say they could not repair it but they refused initial offer of lower cost replacement besides a series of outright lies to me.
    I have a dozen of their guns I guess I can find another company to do business with from now on.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post

I have never thought much about Lee's replacement guarantee. Their parts replacement isn't too bad. But I have notice that by the time you pay the shipping both ways and the half retail price, you can usually buy a new one cheaper.

I went out and checked the price of a new 4-20 and several places had them listed for under $80.00, out of stock but back order OK. So, you take the initial $30.00 to send it back, the $65.00 half price offer and return shipping (let's say $15.00 since they ship a lot) that's $110.00 for an $80.00 pot.

Now don't get me wrong, I use a lot of Lee molds and have several of their loading dies and have a ten pound bottom pour that I have been using for over 40 years. I am not against Lee, but their warranty sucks.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    It sounds like Lee made a contract with you and broke it.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

It would be very nice if the initial customer service rep that you first dealt with is the one that would see the entire process through.

Boolit Grand Master

I would have not been angry if she had emailed or called me the next day and said she made a mistake and couldnt honor that. We all do it and i wouldnt be out anything.

Boolit Master
    Lee has always been very good to me. I’ve gotten many replacement parts and I’ve never had to pay a dime for shipping. Or anything else for that matter. I even had a Lee hand press that had a crack in the Area of the threads where you were screw a dying. After a phone conversation with a tech I sent her some pictures of the item via email and they sent me a shipping label to ship the whole press back to them! The press I sent them was the old style where are you screwed in a die. The tech explained to me that they no longer make that model so they sent me a breech lock hand press and even included a breech lock bushing! I’ve heard others that I’ve had problems and I certainly don’t have an answer. Maybe I’m just lucky. But like I’ve said Lee has always treated me very very good!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    This thread typifies the long term Lee customer service consistency I've seen for at least 25 years . One customer is just happy as a pig in mud and the next one gets the "non-transferable warranty" shuffle .

Their warranty does state that it is full replacement for 2 years and 50% of MSRP after that so an origin unknown pot is outside of the written standard .

Yep I concur that the manor in which it was handled is inappropriate . The promise to make the modified pot right shouldn't have been made and the assy should have been at least returned at their expense if you decided to keep it as is .

I've only used RCBS and Redding for minor parts . You can't get better service than and inquiry about a tool line and age ending with current production refit parts for a 50 yr old die set RCBS or alternative seating stem for a 30 yr old die set from Redding in all 3 cases on their dime . RCBS and Redding cost 2-3 times as much , some items much more . It seems to me that their service is just expected .

Hornady seems to be hit and miss and I've never read that CH or Forster did anyone a super great "I broke it , sure no problem we got you" Friday at 4 phone call parts in the mailbox Tuesday deal .

Lyman ........ I don't know that I have ever heard a brag on their service either , seem like begrudgingly was more the word indicated .

If I didn't have the ram prime dialed in on the little slopped out Partner press I'd send it off for most likely an R&R on the 25+ year old press , I don't think I'd get that on the Hornady Red , Pacific 008 . Lyman won't send you an over size ram for your worn Spartan either . I don't know what RCBS is replacing the Big Max presses with but I'd bet it's only a discount towards something in the new line up .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast