Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New normal? I hope not.

Boolit Master

New normal? I hope not.

Local reloading shop has powder.

231 $36 per pound
    5744 $54 per pound
    Reloader 7 $45 per pound

Who do they think they are, Bass Proshops?

Boolit Master

I hate to be the one to break the news, but that is the new normal.
    Any powder less than $40/lb is a good deal.
    If there is none available, just about any price is a good deal.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Looks like Hodgodon made powders are all in the mid-high $30.00 range, direct from Hodgodon. Yeah, I guess that's the new normal...until it goes up again.

Boolit Grand Master
    Powder cost is not a big driver for my needs. Most of my shooting is with 9mm and .38 pistol calibers. I average about 5 gr of powder/round and at $25/lb it costs $.90 a box for powder, if it doubles to $50/lb another $.90/box is acceptable. If I shoot 5000 rounds a year, that is 100 boxes, so another $90...big deal.

Quite a few folks have posted they will stop shooting if primers are over $75/k. Not sure where the "breaking point" is with powder cost. Going from $37.50/k to 75/k for primers adds $1.88/box of pistol rounds.

I certainly hope people do not stop shooting. Primers are the top issue as there is no practical alternative to using primers, and we use the same cost primer for a mouse phart .38 Spl or 375 H&H Mag.

Powder costs can be mitigated somewhat in recreational pistol and rifle shooting. For example, using "The Load" (12 gr of Red Dot/Promo) in many military .30 (and similar) calibers yields a load adequate for 200 yard target shooting.

IMO people who enjoy shooting will find ways to continue the hobby. Folks who are/were borderline will have a "valid" excuse to move onto other interests, and that would have occurred anyway. The cost of primers and powder will make that decision sooner.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Just left our local sports store and they have H110 in for
    $28.95 a pound

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Looks like Hodgodon made powders are all in the mid-high $30.00 range, direct from Hodgodon. Yeah, I guess that's the new normal...until it goes up again.
    Most Hodgdon powder is out of stock.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    Most Hodgdon powder is out of stock.

True, but the price is listed from the factory which is what stores should be selling in it at, not scalper prices. My local gun store has about 50% of what he usually stocks, and his price is under the list or retail price. He's not making a living at it, it's his hobby business, he's only open 13 hrs. a week and deals in cash.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    $30 plus shipping & hazmat.
    so paying forty something dollars local is about right today, and maybe a good deal.

Boolit Master
    Almost everything I saw at the shop today was around $50 a pound. If it had been $40 I would have walked out with a canister of H110 and Titegroup. Shelves were full and prices were sky high on everything... hopefully things will get more normal...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    At our gun show this past weekend, one table had a bunch of powder, but it was all $50/lb. Other tables were from $25 and up.

[QUOTE=762 shooter;5268927]Most Hodgdon powder is out of stock.

10 days ago Guns Unlimited in Omaha had 20 different Hodgdon and Winchester powders in 1# and many larger containers in stock. Few IMR and no Alliant in stock.

Boolit Buddy
    I won’t stop shooting. As someone above stated, 200 yard target rounds are plenty doable and affordable using pistol powders, and they can really be stretched, for that.

My bigger concern is that of my kids, as well as the shooting public in general. Maybe it’s just me, but I see reloading equipment for sale out there at very affordable rates. Lee, RCBS, etc., won’t stop producing equipment. My hope is that this drives many folks to at least consider reloading, so that a whole new (big) generation of folks become acquainted with reloading.

I also think that the industry will ramp up production to meet the demand, eventually. Already there are companies that I’ve never heard of producing components for the market. Just the other day I saw that there’s a company out of, I think, Arkansas, selling excess primer production on Gunbroker. Not inexpensive. But it’s a new entrant in the marketplace. If I had the get-up-and-go, and know-how, I’d consider establishing a component manufacturing company. This country could do with more of that, in it’s own right.

8mmFan

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Local reloading shop has powder.

231 $36 per pound
    5744 $54 per pound
    Reloader 7 $45 per pound

Who do they think they are, Bass Proshops?
    Welcome to European prices.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Welcome to European prices.
    And I hear their taxes & rates are something to behold.
    It's like you have taxes, on your taxes.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

There is only one Gun Shop here in Long Beach WA. The only Ammo they have is limited to Shot Gun ammo only sold to people who buy a Shot Gun from them. No powders/primers of any kind. The next nearest Shop that used to have primers, powders to sell is 180 mile round trip, but no sense making the trip without calling first. Lead I have, Musket Caps I have, time to start shooting the Muzzle loader a bit more.

The last powder I bought was FFFg (Goex) locally at $25.00 Lb.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Local reloading shop has powder
    5744 $54 per pound
    If you can find it, Shooters World "Buffalo Bore" is the same powder and much cheaper
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master

Many folks start reloading to stretch their ammo money. When Walmart was selling 9- 115 FMJ for $10 / box I was loading mine for < &5. 9 mm Ammo is well over double that now. But with the component prices we’re seeing I could load 9-115 FMJ target ammo for $10 / box. So the economy is still there. More so with rifle ammo. With inflation, raw materials, shipping and regulatory fees pushing ammo prices up we won’t see Fiocchi 9 mm at $10 / box again. Just hoping when supply catches demand, primers will be less than $65 / thousand.

Back in the old days,
    I figured I could cast & reload for the common handgun stuff for about the same price per each as buying premium .22s like CCI Stingers.

At todays prices for components, and high end .22s--- I think that idea is still pretty close to being true.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I've got enough powder, primers and brass to see me through this latest shortage. History has taught me that these things go in cycles. That's why I stocked up during the good times. But this is the worst shortage that I or anybody else has seen. Because of this I've made up my mind: once things get more "normal" I'm not buying powder in 1 pound increments anymore. From now on I'm going to be saving up and purchasing 8 pound jugs. Also, (it may take years - so be it), but once primers become widely available again I'll save up and buy them by the case. Not the box or the "brick", but by the case. There's the old saying "Buy once, cry once". Save up the coin and stock up the provisions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast