Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Nice Soviet Nagant Revolver I would Like to Shoot

Boolit Blub Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang's Avatar

Nice Soviet Nagant Revolver I would Like to Shoot

I managed to get a nice Soviet Nagant revolver, original finish, no import mark . I would like to shoot it now even though I don’t have a mold yet (any recommendations?). I have some .308 jacketed hp bullets 110 gn for the M1 carbine. Will these be ok to use? I will use a 30 carbine die set following what I have read here and elsewhere and run the finished round into the sizer until it fits the cylinder easily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6593a.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	289136

Name:	IMG_6595a.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	289137

Name:	IMG_6598a.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	289138

Boolit Master
    Howdy, I personally haven't ever used true jacketed bullets in mine. My bore I 0.310+/- and I use an ancient Lee mold that casts a semi wadcutter in the 97gr range. I have also used some plated bullets from Graf's that are pretty close to that also. I would imagine that the 308 diameter would rattle down my barrel, but perhaps mine is of looser tolerances than yours.
    They are very fun to shoot!!!!
    I would like to hear how your bullets do in it, as well as anyone else that's used them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    ... I would imagine that the 308 diameter would rattle down my barrel, but perhaps mine is of looser tolerances than yours.
    If you had a smooth bore that would be the case but there is rifling that cuts in to a bullet down to .300 in .308 barrel, I don't know about Russian guns but I imagine close to that.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Banned

They worked okay in my Nagants with 4 grains of Bullseye!

Boolit Buddy
    I've stocked on Graf's brand plated DEWC which are 98 gr and if I'm not mistaken sized to .310. I seat them few thousands below case mouth and use crimp die to close case mouth. It doesn't look like factory but behaves same way (creates gas seal).

I usually shoot mine with any old 32 H&R or 32-20 bullet and a full case of black powder. Really works well and considerably more powerful than any smokeless load within the pressure limits of the revolver.
    BTW, has anybody noticed how expensive those things are now? I gave $75 for a brand new one about 10 years ago, now they're getting bids over $350!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    If you had a smooth bore that would be the case but there is rifling that cuts in to a bullet down to .300 in .308 barrel, I don't know about Russian guns but I imagine close to that.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    I know, it was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Boolit Blub Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang's Avatar
    I’ll probably work up a few rounds and see how it goes with the jacketed bullets.

When I first got set up for my Nagant pistol, I had a box of half-jacket 100 gr .308 Plinkers (Hornady?.) They shot reasonably well with moderate charges of Red Dot. Nowadays I use the Lee 311-100-2R mold, tumble lubed. Current load is 4.3 gr Unique. It is a strong action that will take a heavy load, but extraction is a bear. Also use the 30 Carbine dies, and reduce the case mouth with the taper crimp die.

I was once given a can of 4F black powder which I successfully loaded in this cartridge. I got a few looks from other shooters at the range.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free