Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel with 357

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckJaxFL View Post
    I wouldn’t hesitate to try with bullseye or red dot.

I’m without actual knowledge, but my prediction for unique & 2400 is that you’d have a really high SD until you got enough pressure to strip the tiny ring of actual bearing surface, at which point you’d have lousy accuracy.

That’s an uninformed guess, though. Give it a shot!
    Thank you for give me a place to start , I work on going from there then . I was thinking maybe bullseye would work but was not sure.
    Also with this buck shoot you do not mess up much of the meat . Good shooting .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Nice shooting and a great set up!

Plus, learned that the 000 buck was an option for such use. Didn't think about that before.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    I wish I could try that, or something similar. But in Louisiana it is illegal to hunt squirrels with a centerfire.
    Isn't that crazy? Presumably it's to limit distance a stray bullet will travel, but wouldn't the OP's load be preferable to a 17 rimfire from a safety standpoint?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Any chance you happened to chrony those? How slow were they going that they failed to penetrate wood?
    I didn't chrony them. If you throw a round ball that is about how fast they were going out of a 5 1/2 inch barreled revolver. I don't remember the load. I think it was around 4 grains of Red Dot with a felt lube was between the ball and powder.
    Steve

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Isn't that crazy? Presumably it's to limit distance a stray bullet will travel, but wouldn't the OP's load be preferable to a 17 rimfire from a safety standpoint?

Sure. But can you imagine trying to write the law that would govern the use of 357 magnum, but if and only if you use a mouse fart load?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunseller View Post
    I didn't chrony them. If you throw a round ball that is about how fast they were going out of a 5 1/2 inch barreled revolver. I don't remember the load. I think it was around 4 grains of Red Dot with a felt lube was between the ball and powder.
    Steve
    Gotcha, thanks.

That’s kind of what I was going for. I wanted a super accurate slingshot with a 4x scope.

Boolit Master
    Sure. But can you imagine trying to write the law that would govern the use of 357 magnum, but if and only if you use a mouse fart load?
    You're of course correct.

Boolit Buddy
    Gotcha, thanks.

That’s kind of what I was going for. I wanted a super accurate slingshot with a 4x scope.
    I would be 5 to 6 grains of Red Dot if I was doing it again. I always put a felt lube wad between the ball and powder. The kind used in cap & ball revolvers. Been playing with a lite bullet in my 44 mag. The bullet is for a 44 Bulldog. It weights in at 150 grains. The mold has got to be around 150 years old. A round ball and it are the same height. It has a lube grove so no need for a wad. 6 grains of Red Dot. Fast enough I can not see it when shooting.
    Steve

Boolit Master
    As I understand it, the issue here for not allowing squirrel hunting with a centerfire is not safety concerns. We are allowed to hunt squirrels with a muzzle loader up to 36 caliber, which is similar in performance to the 357 mentioned by the OP. The reason for excluding centerfire arms for squirrels is to prevent the temptation to take a shot at a deer while squirrel hunting. Kinda dumb law in my opinion. People will do unscrupulous things while hunting and laws won't stop that.
    Last edited by high standard 40; 09-26-2021 at 08:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    As I understand it, the issue here for not allowing squirrel hunting with a centerfire is not safety concerns. We are allowed to hunt squirrels with a muzzle loader up to 36 caliber, which is similar in performance to the 357 mentioned by the OP. The reason for excluding centerfire arms for squirrels is to prevent the temptation to take a shot at a deer while squirrel hunting. Kinda dumb law in my opinion. People will do unscrupulous things while hunting and laws won't stop that.
    That IS funny. One of the reasons I felt this would be useful is that, when deer hunting, I’m often plagued with herds of nuisance gray squirrels.

I felt this might be a way to quietly dispatch them with the same gun I already have with me.

Banned

Somewhere around here I have a mold for a wadcutter which weighs about 60 grains. I would think that would do better than a round ball, I haven't cast with it in years. I just picked up a neat little rifle chambered in .357, I need to give these squirrel loads a try.

The .358 Winchester with a rb works, although the placement was a bit off here.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Somewhere around here I have a mold for a wadcutter which weighs about 60 grains. I would think that would do better than a round ball, I haven't cast with it in years. I just picked up a neat little rifle chambered in .357, I need to give these squirrel loads a try.
    Like this? https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod.../360-73-wc-v1/

I was about to buy that when I remembered I have a 000 mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The .358 Winchester with a rb works, although the placement was a bit off here.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Not so shabby. That’s still a dinner for you!

Boolit Buddy
    Texas- Now that is one good-looken rifle. Ain't nothing sexier than blued steel on gorgeous walnut!

Banned

Like this? https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod.../360-73-wc-v1/

I was about to buy that when I remembered I have a 000 mold.
    It looks a lot like that, but it's a Lyman mold, seems like it was a four cavity too. Dad gave it to me many years ago, I was planning on trying to load two in a .357 case. I may even still have a few, I remember I cast a pot of them and don't remember shooting many.

Yesterday at a gun show I had almost determined was a waste of time, I spied a little rifle in .357 built on a Martini cadet. Long story short, Bubba had gotten hold of it pretty bad and there are some things I need to do but the action and barrel are very sound and the trigger pull seems good. I need a light wadcutter load for it and the fox squirrels around the place are gonna be in real trouble.

Boolit Buddy
    …a little rifle in .357 built on a Martini cadet. Long story short, Bubba had gotten hold of it pretty bad and there are some things I need to do but the action and barrel are very sound and the trigger pull seems good. I need a light wadcutter load for it and the fox squirrels around the place are gonna be in real trouble.
    I demand pics!

There was a low wall in 357 on gunbroker not too long ago. I wanted it badly, but choked on the $2,600 opening bid.

Banned

Yeah, I need to get some.

Something else I thought os, a few years ago, I set up to load for .380 (waste of effort, but OK) along those lines, got a Lee mold of their 90 grain RFN tumble lube bullet. I'm gonna measure a few, if at least .358, it should make a good squirrel load.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, I need to get some.

Something else I thought os, a few years ago, I set up to load for .380 (waste of effort, but OK) along those lines, got a Lee mold of their 90 grain RFN tumble lube bullet. I'm gonna measure a few, if at least .358, it should make a good squirrel load.
    I’ve had good luck with the Lee .358 105 swc. Worked good on squirrel, opossum, armadillo and raccoons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Maybe I now have an idea what to do with the 215gr wadcutter 475 mold I picked up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast