RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Newbie lube question

Newbie lube question

Hello, I'm a newbie luber. I've been using White Label 2500+ in my Saeco with no issues other than the bullets tend to stick a bit when I store them. So far I'm only casting low velocity handgun rounds, 44spl, 45 acp and the like. I'm considering something a wee bit harder. Possibly Carnuba Blue, or LBT's Soft Blue. I'd appreciate any ideas or comments. Thanks.

Boolit Master

If your not having issues i wouldn't change lubes for just sticking. All bullet lubes i have used will stick to each other. Doesnt hurt the lube though.

You could give them a light tumble lube of 45/45/10. When it dries it puts a hard shell on the bullets and they wont be sticky. I have done that before. Works great.

I think i read some where on here about dusting the bullets with mica or baby powder. I have not tried that though.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You may want to consider making your own lube. It’s not that hard and a lot cheaper. That way you can experiment with different ratios to get what best suits your needs.

Banned

i used to max felix lube. it looks alot like javalina or 2500. I switched to cornuba blue and found it worked as well at any velocity and was alot less messy. Actually if you have to buy beeswax to make your own lar's lubes are about as cheap as just the beeswax. What i did right before i discovered pc was buy a bunch of sticks of carnuba and mixed it 5050 with my felix lube. Made it alot less messy. Ive got a whole crock pot of it sitting on the bench. It will last me forever because i cant see myself doing much of anything using conventional lube instead of pc.

I would not go harder on the lube, could start you down a road you don't want to travel.

I agree with Rcmaverick about a coat of tumble lube. Either Ben's Liquid Lube or 45/45/10. Whatever is quickest and easiest for you.

I do like to add 1% carnuba flakes to my tumble lube. Makes a harder non sticky outer layer, does great things for your bores.

The other thing to consider is to set those lube grooves inside the brass where they are protected.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have had good results with WLL carnauba blue in rifle and pistol. It is very reasonably priced and Glen will get it to you as quick as the USPS can get it to you.

Boolit Grand Master

It also helps to use small plastic containers and set the boolits base down and side by side untill the small container is filled ...then cutting a thin piece of carboard to cover the first layer and stacking a second layer neatly base down and side by side untill the top layer is filled . snap on lid and lable box ... the boolits stay nice and neat and don't stick ... if they do , Motor-Mica or Baby Powder dusting will do the trick .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

If you have a heater lubesizer I can heartily recommend Lyman Orange Magic especially if you wind up lubing and sizing bullets featuring gas checks. Orange Magic is pretty nice to work with gas checked or not and it is not sticky. If you have a heater lubsizer but are not going to
    use gas checked bullets, Thompson Red Angel works great too. A tad sticky when fresh out of the lubsizer but it firms up quickly and is not at all sticky then. I use both.