RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Pacific beam scale

Boolit Master

Pacific beam scale

At an auction recently I acquired, amongst other items, a Pacific beam scale. So now I'm looking for instructions on just how to use it. There are no graduations to be found, so after giving this some thought I take it that one puts the equivalent weight of the powder charge, in what I think of as check weights, onto the pan and then adjust the 'nuts' on the threaded rod until the pointer is where you want it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pacific beam scale.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	289101
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds reasonable to me.

I bet with no damping that takes forever to settle down once you place a charge in the pan.

Robert

Boolit Master
    It does take a while to settle down, and I'm wondering if the placement of the beam on the uprights has any affect on the determined weight. Anybody have any printed instructions???

Boolit Master

Proper technique will minimize settling time. Put a charge in the pan, press the pointer down to the zero mark, touch the pan and slowly release the pan to stop swinging, and then slowly release the pointer end. Seems like a lot when reading it, but it will settle much quicker than just dumping a charge and then waiting.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Banned
    I don't show instructions for this press in my library. Pacific never printed operating directions in their catalogs as they did for some of their tools.

It is a substitution weight scale. Zero it with the supplied weights for the correct charge. You are fortunate to have the factory weights.

Beam swing can be quickly stopped by placing the tip of a No2 pencil under the pointer at the zero mark.

These are good, accurate scales that have been around since 1935 or so. 1961 was their last year.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like the small lead (?) squares are numbered and as Pressman noted used to "set" the scale for a specific powder charge. Put a weight in the pan, zero it, and match charges...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Thanks to everyone for confirming my thoughts. I'm not paid to think anymore, but there are times ...
    I'll find an appropriate sized box and put it on a shelf. I have other scales and don't have the room on the bench.
    Brian

Boolit Buddy
    I have a set of these with the weights and also a later Pacific one that oil damped.

Boolit Master
    Had one of those as my first scale, came with a Pacific ' Reloading Kit ' - press, scale, and powder measure (1964?). I remember how tiresome it was for a 14(?) year old to set the scale, the Pacific powder measure had an adjustable removable chamber, no markings anywhere. First the Scale then the Powder Measure replaced with Herter's stuff.

Re those "little lead squares". Aren't those called scruples and used to adjust various beam balance scales? As an aside, my parents were pharmacists and I have a complete set of their brass and square weights (not lead though) with which I set my RCBS 5-0-5 scale and sometimes my Pact electronic scale

Banned
    Those "little lead squares" are aluminum.

Scruple definition, a moral or ethical consideration or standard that acts as a restraining force or inhibits certain actions.

Exactly Pressman! Ergo they are a weight standard from which we derive the other, more common meaning.

Boolit Grand Master
    One good point about it, you can't accidentally bump a little counter weight on the beam and suddenly end up with a widely differing powder charge.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Knowing my interest in beam scales, someone from Australia sent me some photos of a locally produced similar "scale". I've certainly never seen one of these but it works on the same principal, this one is oil damped and, looking at the photo, it looks like the knife edge in fitted the wrong way up (unless it's double edged)

Boolit Master
    My parents were also pharmacists and a quick visit to Kyles Converter shows that:

1 Scruple is equal to 20 grains.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Banned
    1066, that is interesting, thanks for posting. It follows the pattern of some of the Webster models and yes it appears the knife edges are top side down.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    1066, that is interesting, thanks for posting. It follows the pattern of some of the Webster models and yes it appears the knife edges are top side down.
    There's a few more photos of the Oz scale here: https://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/9...m_balance.html

Here's one I'm currently rebuilding, picked up cheap in a really sorry state - not a reloading scale I know but a classic bit of mechanical engineering. This one resolves down to .1mg (.0015 grain)
    Stanton AD4, 1955'ish.

Boolit Master
    1066 that is to pretty to be a tool

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Czech_too View Post
    Thanks to everyone for confirming my thoughts. I'm not paid to think anymore, but there are times ...
    I'll find an appropriate sized box and put it on a shelf. I have other scales and don't have the room on the bench.
    Brian
    GOOD move!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !