RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Bushing Help Texan Autoloader M-IV

Bushing Help Texan Autoloader M-IV

I've got a Texan Autoloader M-IV and want to get it up and running. Only have the powder and shot bushings that came with it and would like to have more options than that lol. I know the company is no longer around and finding them online is as good as looking for hens teeth. Does anyone know anything on using other brands like hornady or mec bushings in this machine?
    Short of that does anyone mind sending the OD dimension and length of a hornady powder and shot bushing for reference?
    My last resort will be purchase and pray it fits lol. Thanks for any and all help!

Boolit Master

Anyone who reloads should have a caliper that would allow measurement of the bushings in a loader. By posting those measurement, anyone that has a different brand of bushing could determine if theirs would interchange or if it could be modified to work.

Posting the needed dimensions might allow finding 3D printed parts that would work.

P.S. In case it is not obvious enough, I have never used a shotgun loader or a powder dropper that uses bushings. If I were in the situation of needing such bushings I would draw a dimensioned sketch and then make the bushings on one of my lathes.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Moderator Emeritus

In the past people drilled out the bar to accept MEC bushings.....dont remember if there were any other problems....but a caliper should tell you what ya need to do......FYI I do have a copy of the different bushings available if you would like.......I saw bushings on Ebay last year....they are available but not when I need to find one....so the hunt is half the fun!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    My bushings for the Hornady Model 366 are .996 or 1 inch long for power an shot.
    The powder bushing is .870 dia. or roughly 7/8 inch dia., an the shot bushing is .996
    or about 1 inch dia.
    Please note the number on the Hornady powder bushing is the actual diameter of the hole.

One would be hard pressed to drill out the Hornady bar to take MEC bushings since the Hornady
    bushings are a weee bit larger in diameter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    My bushings for the Hornady Model 366 are .996 or 1 inch long for power an shot.
    The powder bushing is .870 dia. or roughly 7/8 inch dia., an the shot bushing is .996
    or about 1 inch dia.
    Please note the number on the Hornady powder bushing is the actual diameter of the hole.

One would be hard pressed to drill out the Hornady bar to take MEC bushings since the Hornady
    bushings are a weee bit larger in diameter!!!
    You are the man!!! Those are the same dimensions as the Texan originals that are in the machine already. So I should be able to use Hornady bushings in my Texan Progressive
    Thanks for the help and advise!!!

Boolit Buddy
    You will find that the shot bushings are 1" in the Texan and 13/16" for powder in the Texan. My Texan powder bushings measure about 0.810 so I don't know if there were two different powder bushing sizes for Texan but I never heard of it.

So you can usually use shot bushings from others, it's the Powder that's an issue.

I sent you a PM also.

Jason

Boolit Grand Master
    I have an adapter that lets me use MEC bushings in the PW loaders. Simple thing to make but IIRC is cost me $10 so it was not worth the effort. You should be able to make an adapter for your Texan.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    HEY GUYS

The Mark IV is a progressive press and doesn't use a charge bar. I has a rotating boss that moves the powder and shot bushings in a circular pattern within the tool head. I just picked up 5 a couple of weeks ago so I have a number of bushings. I'll get out in the garage and get you some measurements. Doesn't seem like it would be difficult to make or modify a bushing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Texan Manual.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	289175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reloader.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	289176

Boolit Buddy
    There's a guy on ebay advertising that he has multiple texan bushings.

Boolit Master

I have lots of Texan bushing, both shot and powder.
    Send me a PM
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I did a little search and found this discussion that might help.

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads...change.231479/

I found that Texan, Pacific and Hornady would work in an old Honey Bair I had. The Bair were steel dies.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    When I bought mine the guy threw in a complete set of like 33 bushings that he had made from delrin rod. Must have been a labor of love

Boolit Buddy
    Send me a PM as well, I have multiples of certain ones.