Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target load for 20 gauge

Boolit Bub

Target load for 20 gauge

Hi looking for 7/8 target load for Winchester super target powder load for a 20 gauge. Using Remington sts shells. I want to use this for cowboy action shooting. Thanks

Boolit Master

I load 20ga on a Lee Loadall. I use the load from the Loadall instructions. Their load is for plastic shell with a plastic or no base wad such as WinAA, Rem, RXP, and Federal Champions. For a 7/8 oz. load I use the .095 bushing which translates to 14.3 grains of Unique. I use Claybuster CB1078-20 wads. That is a WAA20 replacement wad. It is an easy shooting load.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Bub
    Hi are you saying that the load for unique (.95 ) will work for Winchester super target powder?

Boolit Buddy
    no no no he is telling you the load he uses
    and super target may be to fast for 20 ga ,go to the hodgdon reload data site and look up for your self and match the components you want to use , do the research before doing any reloading if there is no data for it it could be a dangerous load
    Last edited by oldsman; 09-23-2021 at 05:32 PM.

WST is a light 12 gauge/pistol powder. I doubt there are any published loads for 20 gauge as it is too fast.

Boolit Master

What Sig said. What other powders do you have?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

I'm looking at powder burn charts, and they are all putting WST just a tick slower than Green Dot. There's plenty of 20 gauge Green Dot loads, so why isn't WST suitable? I've shot powders faster than that. 700X is my old standby target powder. I just loaded a bunch of 7/8 oz dove loads the other day with 700x.

Boolit Master

Find him a published load then
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    ok, I'm guessing shotshell reloading is something that is new for you and you want to get into it? to be safe, which I really like being, and keeping all my fingers, eyes, face, my body and my gun safe. I follow load data exactly as it is published from reputable sources, such a powder manufacturers web site, or the Lyman shotshell loads data book, or published data from ballistic products company. the Lyman shotshell loading book will have just about everything you will need as far as information for this to become a great hobby and produce good ammo for your guns. Ballistics products has a load book also called "advantages manual" it is another great resource.
    A quick check of the Hodgdon/imr/winchester web site reloading data center, choosing 20 gauge from dropdown menu, then for shell type on drop down menu selecting 2 3/4" STS Remington it says there are no loads available for that gauge and shell combination. might want to send them an email and ask.
    . maybe it's a glitch in the system or maybe there are no loads. one reason I like printed books
    a quick look over at the alliant powder web site shows there are quite a few load options in 20 gauge using Remington 2 3/4"STS shell.
    shotshell reloading is different than metallic cartridge reloading. with metallic cartridges we work loads up using specific components and starting with the lowest recommended powder load and adding a little bit more till we get the best accuracy without going over the maximum published amount of powder.
    in shotshell reloading we follow exact recipes , as far as what shell, primer, exact amount of powder, wad and exact amount of shot and data will specify fold or roll crimp
    if you already knew all this, forgive me for rambling on, just thought it would be good to stay safe
    Last edited by farmbif; 09-23-2021 at 09:28 PM. Reason: hate auto correct

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Find him a published load then
    All I'm saying is it makes no sense that Green dot has been a primo 20 gauge powder for decades, and WST, which is even slower, is considered way out of the question.

Boolit Master
    ok curiosity got best of me, for the hodgdon web site to say there are no loads for 20 ga with the very common STS 2 3/4" Remington shell, just doesn't sound right.
    pulled out the Lyman 5th edition shotshell reloading book
    7/8oz lead target load and field loads as well as 1oz field loads--2 3/4" Remington STS---it shows quite a few loads, a few for WSF powder but none for WST powder.

Boolit Grand Master
    Farmbif offers good advice. It would be a bad idea to take ANY shotgun load data from a forum like this. I have the Lyman book, some stuff from Ballistic Products, and powder manufacturers data books/on line data.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by splotch View Post
    Hi are you saying that the load for unique (.95 ) will work for Winchester super target powder?
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing. Here is a link to the Loadall data. These are very conservative loads. I have a shotgun target that after you hit the steel paddle tosses a tin can up in the air. I use the Lee load I mentioned for my grand kids. I thought it would work well for your purposes.
    The guys here in the shotgun forum know shotgun loading in and out. Pay attention and learn. I certainly have!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Bub
    I guess I should state I am trying to find some target loads for the powder that I have left. I am running out of Unique which is what I usually use. All I have left is a small amount of 700x lots of blue dot and 2400 and some wst powder. If anybody has some loads using blue dot or 2400 for the 20 gauge that would be great. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Bluedot and 2400 work great, but they are for full power ammo, not 7/8 oz cowboy loads. 700X will probably do what you want. What are you looking for exactly? Are you looking for lower velocity, say 1000 fps 7/8 rounds? 700X is listed in Remington hulls in the old IMR manuals. They are topped out around 1150 fps or so, but if you are looking for less than that, you can use that. If you go to Bluedot, it's for 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    splotch,

WST is WAY too fast for 20ga. It’s made for sub 9/8oz 12ga loads to go fast. It’s almost as fast as Bullseye!

Decades ago I loaded a lot of 700x in 20ga for myself, and I’ve probably got 60 or 70 boxes of 7/8oz 20ga loaded with light loads of Green Dot in the house for the Grandkids.

700x is a high pressure powder in 20ga., they don’t even list loads for it anymore as it was cracking subgauge tubes.

Green Dot isn’t bad, especially in sub 1oz loads. 13-15 grains will get the job done with low recoil in 3/4 and 7/8oz. 20/28 is one you should look at. International in 3/4oz is pretty fast with fairly low pressure, but in 7/8 it’s up close to 11K if IIRC.

We have a BUNCH of light 20ga with Unique in the house for the wife’s SA. Dirtier than most other powders, but it WORKS.

If you can get your hands on Unique, 1, or Green Dot, 2, right now, BUY IT.

Lastly, get over to Shotgunworld.com, hit the reloading section, and familiarize yourself with reloading straight wall and tapered hulls. There is more overlap in the real world on hulls than many will think.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Check Powder Valley's site periodically. They have been stocking a surprising number of powders. I order 5 lb of Longshot and 5 of Win WSF a couple hours ago. Also a 8 lb keg of H335.

This should give you more options. I am new to shot shell. One thing I'm learning quickly, having options is critical. It's not like metallic reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    It's not like metallic reloading.
    Just look at the thickness of metal in the barrel of a shotgun compared to a rifle!!!!

Boolit Master

Bottom left on page 59 for Longshot and 7/8 oz load in Remington hulls.
    http://www.tsn.biella.it/armi/Manual...c%20Manual.pdf
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I want a gizmo you shoot and sends a tin can up in the air, sounds like fun, and I empty spinach and tomato cans often, do you know what the thing is called or who its made by?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast