Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: I better start digging....

Boolit Master

I better start digging....

On the big auction site there's a single cavity Lyman 452423 that's currently sitting at $213.50

That's just crazy nuts.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    Looks like 2 bidders wanting it really bad. If you look at sold items they topped out at around $75. I might have to do some digging also.

Someone probably scribed "EK" on the bottom.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Wow. Time to do some liquidating.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That is really crazy. You could have a custom made mold for much less. Maybe the bidders just don’t want to wait. They must have more money than time.

In all seriousness if any of you guys have some 44, 45, or 358 older molds you want to sell I will pay you guys good money for them. I'm new to this and love collecting these old molds!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    In all seriousness if any of you guys have some 44, 45, or 358 older molds you want to sell I will pay you guys good money for them. I'm new to this and love collecting these old molds!
    You might know this ... but Al Nelson over at NOE Moulds has re-created a number of the discontinued Lyman moulds ... what I paid for a single cavity Lyman mould on ebay ... I recently purchased a copy from NOE except it was a 4 cavity aluminum .
    If anyone is looking to cast boolits with the mould ... I can tell you a 4 cavity beats a 1 cavity for casting Seven Ways To Sunday .
    Now if your collecting Lyman moulds that's another story ... even though I have the 4 cavity 358432 from NOE ... I keep the Lyman 358432 for my "Collection" .

The "bidding/bidders" on ebay has just become stoopid krazy ... I don't even go there any more to look .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I dont get it but some people just like spending money. I would sell mine if I had it for that price & just buy a 4cav copy from Accurate for about half.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    You might know this ... but Al Nelson over at NOE Moulds has re-created a number of the discontinued Lyman moulds ... what I paid for a single cavity Lyman mould on ebay ... I recently purchased a copy from NOE except it was a 4 cavity aluminum .
    If anyone is looking to cast boolits with the mould ... I can tell you a 4 cavity beats a 1 cavity for casting Seven Ways To Sunday .
    Now if your collecting Lyman moulds that's another story ... even though I have the 4 cavity 358432 from NOE ... I keep the Lyman 358432 for my "Collection" .

The "bidding/bidders" on ebay has just become stoopid krazy ... I don't even go there any more to look .
    Gary
    As dumb as it sounds I like the history/nostalgia of the old Ideal/Lyman dies. But yes single cavity molds are painfully slow! Really makes you understand 60 or so years ago people really must have had time on their hands.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Stopsign32v - as much as I hate to admit I'm getting old - I have been casting for very close to 60 years. I can guarantee you that living on a farm, my Dad made sure I didn't;t have a lot of time on my hands! LOLMy first new mold was a Lyman 575-213 - still have it and it has cast a LOT of Mine balls. With the idiotic prices that some molds are bringing now, I know I could get 4 times what the mold and handles cost me so I guess some would call it an "investment".

I agree with you - the old molds have a lot of charm and are fun to cast with. I have found though that for the last few years, I seem to be "collecting" NOE molds. Al makes a good mold and now that I'm retired and supposedly "have more time on my hands" - I really enjoy Al's 3 4 and 5 cavity molds to be able to drop more in less time. I also like that he is duplicating some of toehold designs.

Good luck in your collecting - just remember that there are a lot of old Ideal and Lyman molds sitting around out there so if you miss out on one, another one will eventually show up. I admit that there have been some that I really wanted that I paid a bit more for even before all this craziness started, and sure as shooting, after I purchased it, another one showed up in very little that was a fraction of the price I paid.

Enjoy and have fun!

Boolit Grand Master

Just going to a double mold from a single makes a big difference in production.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Just going to a double mold from a single makes a big difference in production.
    It almost doubles it!

Boolit Master
    Sold $250.50

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Sold $250.50
    What a steal!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Sold $250.50
    Unbelievable!

Boolit Master

During the pandemic I saw that, but not recently. I auctioned a BROKEN Lee 6 banger. Fully disclosed that it was heavily used and the sprue screw was snapped off. Thing sold for $105 + shipping. Sold a couple 2 cavities I had sitting around for years also. Think they brought close to $100. People are crazy.

Boolit Master

Looks like they relisted it immediately. Most likely the buyer realized their insanity.

Beware of things like molds on that "big auction site". A lot of the things there are suspect in quality and may have issues that the owner couldn't rectify. I have bought some die sets there and they looked good from the pics but when I received them they were not in the best condition on the inside.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!