MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sight White

Boolit Man

Sight White

What's a good sight paint to refresh the dots on my Star Firestar 9mm? I noticed the other day, while shooting in some tree shade, the dots have turned very dull. I'd like to freshen them up so I'm looking for recommendations on a good bright white paint. I don't think I need the luminescent version but if there was a recommended one that was still nice and bright white, that could work. Thanks

Boolit Master
    I would like to hear others' opinions on this also.
    Especially something that would be somewhat equivalent to tritium paint.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Before you add paint, you'll want to clean and degrease the old color. With that step, you may find your problem gone. I would pull a point on a Q-tip and use alcohol.

Whenever I need to paint a sight, be it white rear or orange front, I always head to the model airplane store and buy enamel paint. Other than enamel won't last long.

DG

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I use appliance touchup paint.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I have used fingernail polish for many years and have been very satisfied with the results. My favorite color for front sights is bright yellow without any metallic additive in it. Repair touch-up and even removal is easy with polish remover.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    That's an interesting product! I need to look into that a bit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Before you add paint, you'll want to clean and degrease the old color. With that step, you may find your problem gone. I would pull a point on a Q-tip and use alcohol.
    That always works for me also
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    That's an interesting product! I need to look into that a bit.

It's a forever kit...……

I bought my kit very long ago (when it was first introduced), and still have enough to coat many more sights.

(I've done dozens of sights, over the years)

A tip, learned the hard way:

Before using any other color in the kit, clean the sight, then apply a coat of the white paint first, letting it dry before applying the desired final color - it will markedly make the finish color brighter.

For me, typewriter correction fluid, whiteout.

Alcohol based, easy to clean if you get a blob.

Takes a sharpie black dot very well. I have found a small black dot in the right spot on the front sight an aid to keeping my focus on the sight.
    Right eye takes front, left does the rear and the target might be a touch fuzzy but its easy enough to align sights and hit. YMMV
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread - but how many of those that offer suggestions use their firearm as an everyday carry?
    As in holster and body sweat and practice?
    Do these treatments hold up?

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all the replies. Even tho my sights are clean they're still dull so I'm definitely leaning to hitting them with paint or something. ++ on the dot suggestion. My Springfield 911 has dots inside the rear rear white dots and they help me line them up quickly. Any additional recommendations are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread - but how many of those that offer suggestions use their firearm as an everyday carry?
    As in holster and body sweat and practice?
    Do these treatments hold up?

IME, any sight paint will need maintenance, just like the rest of the gun does - why my kit came in handy.

It all goes with gun ownership/use...……………..

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Whenever I need to paint a sight, be it white rear or orange front, I always head to the model airplane store and buy enamel paint. Other than enamel won't last long.

DG
    That's exactly what I used for the rather tiny sights on my Beretta 92. Good adhesion to a clean surface, easy to touch up about once a year. Initially clean the surface with Brakleen. Acetone would do as well, (but it doesn't come in spray cans). Ideally you'd use a primer for steel, but I didn't, and it hasn't peeled.

Another good possibility would be the yellow paint markers they use in steel warehouses and machine shops. Look and act like an ordinary Magic Marker, but with a special paint in them that adheres very well and stays bright. They have xylene solvent in the paint formula which cuts through any oil on the surface. You could keep one in your range bag. I don't remember where I got mine, but Amazon is sure to have them.

Yup:

https://www.amazon.com/Forney-70822-...A%3D%3D&sr=8-4

Amazon told me that I bought mine in 2015, and it still works perfectly. (I actually mark steel with it, but not very often. I'm just a hobby machinist.)
    Last edited by uscra112; 09-25-2021 at 01:51 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use white fingernail polish from the $1 store. I can see my shotgun bead clear as day…at dusk. Tried other colors but white is best.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-26-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    I used automotive touch up paint on my Beretta 92FS and Browning HP. Frank

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    I use white or red fingernail polish that my spouse has discarded. No need to clean first, just slap it on and it lasts a long time.

Repeat.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mac118 View Post
    What's a good sight paint to refresh the dots on my Star Firestar 9mm? I noticed the other day, while shooting in some tree shade, the dots have turned very dull. I'd like to freshen them up so I'm looking for recommendations on a good bright white paint. I don't think I need the luminescent version but if there was a recommended one that was still nice and bright white, that could work. Thanks
    For quite a while I have been using White Out typewriter correction fluid. I rub the area first with an alcohol-dampened Q-tip. Then, I dip the point of a sharpened, but then used a bit -- a scribble or two to round the point -- #2 lead pencil. I (important for me) make a teeny pencil dot first exactly where I want the white dot to be; dip the pencil point in a smidgeon (technical term ) and quickly but firmly apply. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhiteOut.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	295019
    The stuff never yellows; stays bright; and may be readily chipped off with a fingernail if you decide something else...
    geo

Boolit Master
    +1 on the simple nail polish, the wife went thru several colors and settled on a Kelly green for now. Easy to change and refresh as needed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast