RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman 450 Generations

Lyman 450 Generations

I’m looking at Lyman 450 lubesizers. I’ve found them painted both Orange and Gray. I assume the gray ones are older, but maybe not. Are there any things to be aware of when buying a used 450? Are old ones better or worse than newer ones? Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I would actually assume the newer ones are grey.

My grandpas 45 sizer was Orange but my 4500 is grey so I would venture to guess the newer ones have the grey color. Just a guess though, I’m sure someone on here will be knowledgeable of the facts.

Boolit Grand Master
    On used ones, if you can check alignment. It is much better to have the ram come down straight and in line with the die bore.

As to colors, I think they started with orange, went to grey, then back to orange. I think every different ownership group had a slightly different color.

The 450 is a decent lubrisizer, not as heavily built as an RCBS Lubamatic; but they both work, and use the same dies.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have 5 450's and all are different on the linkage but the overhaul is the same. I overhauled an older orange 45 with 450 o rings. Be sure it has all the linkage. On a used one check to see if there is rust in the lube cylinder. It has to be smooth or it will eat o rings.

Banned

I have a 70’s vintage 450 (gray), a 2006 RCBS lubimatic and new Redding/Saeco lubrisizer! The Lyman still gets the most use. The RCBS is good cause the dies and nose punches are compatible with the Lyman and vice/versa! The Redding/Saeco is the most expensive to use as their sizing dies and nose punches are incredibly expensive! The only thing I’ve had to replace is the O ring on the bottom of the lube reservoir(3 times in 47 years is pretty good service I’d say!

Moderator Emeritus

while I am not a fan of the 450, if you are set on the 450, the one big difference is the handle. Some have a tuning fork handle and some have a improved straight rod type of handle. The straight rod handle is a big improvement.

Also, the 450's ram is known to wear. If there is any sloppiness to it, avoid buying it. While it may be OK to size pistol bullets, the wobble will bend long rifle bullets every time.
    Here is an interesting thread about "rebuilding" a 450.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Sizer-Rebuild
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    while I am not a fan of the 450, if you are set on the 450, the one big difference is the handle. Some have a tuning fork handle and some have a improved straight rod type of handle. The straight rod handle is a big improvement.

Also, the 450's ram is known to wear. If there is any sloppiness to it, avoid buying it. While it may be OK to size pistol bullets, the wobble will bend long rifle bullets every time.
    Here is an interesting thread about "rebuilding" a 450.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Sizer-Rebuild

When I click on the link I get an error, file not found message.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    [/B]

When I click on the link I get an error, file not found message.

Slim
    Did you read the thread to the last post?
    Because, the last post has a link that works
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I use several 45's, most for lubing or sizing 1 or 2 thou at most, soft alloy.. I prefer the RCBS product for real sizing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I use several 45's, most for lubing or sizing 1 or 2 thou at most, soft alloy.. I prefer the RCBS product for real sizing.
    Why?