RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: hacked messages on phone

Boolit Master

hacked messages on phone

does anyone know if instant messages between phones can be hacked? every time my daughter messages me I get strange messages from unknown numbers. I never open anything im not 100% sure of who it came from

Boolit Buddy
    yep...and it's originating from her fone..her contacts, messages, internet habits, could be from
    her friends or circle of friends

-Rock

Boolit Buddy
    In short, yes, there’s vulnerability in iMessage. You need to upgrade to iOS 14.8, however, fact that you receive messages from unknown number doesn’t mean either one is hacked.

Boolit Master

There is also spoofing. I can message anyone i want using what ever number i want. A robo caller could call you with your moms phone number if they knew it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    There is also spoofing. I can message anyone i want using what ever number i want. A robo caller could call you with your moms phone number if they knew it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I got a robocall from MY phone number last year. I know it wasn't made from my phone. And I got several calls this week from numbers that are close to mine in the sequence of numbers. Phone companies can stop this stuff, if they want to. It is getting better, but not good yet. I dumped my land line a couple of months ago because we weren't getting any calls from folks we wanted to talk to, just telemarketers and spam callers.

Bill

What I suspect may be happening is that your daughter is sending messages to you as part of a group message, including people that aren't in your contacts, and when they respond, you're receiving those messages in a group chat you don't know you're a part of.

I had this happen prior to getting a smart phone in that strange dark period in history where old school was functionally acceptable but obviously on it's way out. Because my dumb phone couldn't parse group messages like a smart phone would, I would receive a message for every reply completely separately, and from numbers I didn't have, because the "To" list has all the numbers on it together from each person sending a message. Because you'd just get bombarded with messages in whatever order the 1's and 0's decided to show up, you'd have a mess of context-less nonsense.

Of course, this is all predicated on you having a smart phone that isn't configured correctly/ your service doesn't allow for group messages / you have a non-smart phone that can't properly process/display group messages.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

This^^^^
    You most probably are getting a person in HER group texting another person in the same group. Tell your daughter to STOP group texting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post
    What I suspect may be happening is that your daughter is sending messages to you as part of a group message, including people that aren't in your contacts, and when they respond, you're receiving those messages in a group chat you don't know you're a part of.

I had this happen prior to getting a smart phone in that strange dark period in history where old school was functionally acceptable but obviously on it's way out. Because my dumb phone couldn't parse group messages like a smart phone would, I would receive a message for every reply completely separately, and from numbers I didn't have, because the "To" list has all the numbers on it together from each person sending a message. Because you'd just get bombarded with messages in whatever order the 1's and 0's decided to show up, you'd have a mess of context-less nonsense.

Of course, this is all predicated on you having a smart phone that isn't configured correctly/ your service doesn't allow for group messages / you have a non-smart phone that can't properly process/display group messages.
    exactly.. and some messaging programs HIDE the recipients.. so you see a message from your daughter that in reality is a Blind group message.. when someone replies.. even you.. EVEFRYONE gets a copy.

I kill group messages and do direct replies.

Boolit Master
    id go back to tin cans and string if I could
    certain parts of our society has gotten so pathetic they have nothing better to do than screw around with other people

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    does anyone know if instant messages between phones can be hacked? every time my daughter messages me I get strange messages from unknown numbers. I never open anything im not 100% sure of who it came from
    She has a virus on her phone. Put an antivirus program on there and scan it. Avast is one that works well on cell phones.

Boolit Master
    I'll give you one solution that has worked well for me.

"Don't bother me and expect me to reply to text messages. If it's important enough and I need to know... CALL."

Otherwise it's ten minutes of typing for a 30 second conversation. Most of which, I've found, are just meaningless time-wasters during my day, sent my someone who is wasting their time. You'll be accused of being a cranky old guy, I guess that'll be a burden I'll have to bear.

But at least that dang box in my pocket is quiet most of the time. If it rings, I know it's important.
    (except for the extended car warranty offers, the police donation organizations, the medical bracelet offers, the credit card offers, the social security/IRS scams. Use your head, there is a good way to get those ended also)

Boolit Master

I actually prefer texts due to my work. I work in noisy environments, and during some / most shows can't take calls or have ringers on. I have a smart watch and can get texts right on my watch. a quick glance tells me if it's something I need to handle or not.

Moderator Emeritus

I like tests for a quick referable reference to who was going to do what and where.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Just checked our land line phone today and we received 19 messages from all over the U.S. Getting really bad. I check the area codes so if ones comes up that I do not recognize we just ignore it. Frank

USMC 77, USRA 79

they dont call Alaska Bush very much!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    My boss was a little ticked off at me because he tried calling while I was out of the office and I hadn't set up the "in box" on my voice mail. So I got right on it and recorded this message: "Hello, this is ____. I'd like to talk with you about your extended car warranty. You may have already won a stay at our luxurious resort. At the tone leave your name and number. And thank you for choosing Costco."

When people I know call they think it's hilarious, and when it's a robocall or a sales person it just turns that spam back around on them.