Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: low cost scope

I recently purchased a Burris Fullfield II 2-10x42 and cost was my primary motivator . I think it was $160 delivered , not especially crazy about it considering the fact like the Vortex and Primary Arms offerings all of the Burris scopes now seem to be made in Asia . I just couldn't justify spending $499 for a Leupold VX-III HD this close to the holidays. The reason I purchased the Burris is the outstanding customer service they have. The last time I had to use the Burris warranty turn around was 7 days on the repair and shipping it back to me .
    Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    Check Natchez for Weaver deals. Older scopes, some lifetime warranty and replaced with higher priced models.
    Bought 3 Nitrex line 3-9 years ago. I even called Weaver tech support to verify before I purchased. Great scopes!
    thats one good thing about all the mid priced scope manufactures. They have a heck of a warrantee. Id sure love to buy a new truck with a no bs anything goes lifetime warrantee. Even if you smash it. Only scope manufacture thats given me grief is Bushnell.

Redfield is now owned by Academy Sports.

Natchezss.Com has decent prices on a few scopes. Check the Bushnell Nitro 30mm tube variables.
    Last edited by 1006; 10-30-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JLF View Post
    Those Leupold Freedom scopes withstand heavy recoil?
    The old vx1 2-7 held up on my 375 RUM just fine. It was $179 new at the time. I have three of them and they are ALL brighter and clearer then the more expensive vx3i’s that sell for mid $500’s. I just sent back a vx3i for the 4th an final time with tracking issues this time. First three times back was for dirt stuck to the crosshairs that came NIB, wrong crosshairs installed when I received it back, third time back it had a long piece of copper wire inside the scope going across the crosshairs, fourth time it looked fine but wouldn’t track. This scope replaced an old friction vx11 I bought new around 90’ that I had tracking issues with and the lens coating wore off. Leupold sent me back a VX5HD the 5th time around. It will sit in the box till hunting season next year before I test it. I’ve already googled VX5HD issues and there are a lot of issues customers are having with the $1000 optic. You would think for that kind of money it would be bullet proof. Use to be a big fan of Leupold but imo there are way better optics out there for less money. Haven’t decided if I’ll keep the 5 series or sell it off for another brand. Just because it has a lifetime warranty doesn’t mean I want to have to use it ….or keep using it. All my older leupolds accept for my friction adjustment optic work great. It’s the last couple of years Leupold quality had fallen by the wayside. Their glass quality has never been to notch imo. I have Nikon pro staff optics that have clearer and brighter than my $1600 leupold MK 1V’s. I know leupold went into a price increase. I believe it’s from adding the CDS dials to just about all their scopes. I’m sure the CDS system will be gone in a season or two to come since their scopes don’t, and never have, track reliable.

I’m holding my breath to see if midway USA gets in a 2.5-10 viper for the $249 price they currently have it “listed” for. I’m sure the price will change when the scope is on stock. They had it for $399 with a pre order option. Three days later when I went over order it they dropped it to $249 and listed out of stock but click the “ notify” button.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-30-2021 at 10:32 AM.

Just got my bushnell trophy xlt 3-9 back (lifetime warranty), non repairable ( turrets don't move the reticle) from Vista. Basically a store credit of 22$ for a new 120$ scope. New ones made in S Korea, old one made in Philippines. Lifetime 'warranty' appears to be until it breaks. Yes, it had a unlimited lifetime warranty!! I already replaced it with a Vortex 4-12, appears to be same quality, not the greatest but will work. Don't know where the break point is but consider anything in the under 200$ as a throw-away. I dropped it off at the KC store (20$) to ship it, only 2 cars in the lot at the facility. Basically, Vista Outdoors will NOT honor the warranty anymore, just a warning.
    Last edited by popper; 10-30-2021 at 11:05 PM.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Just got my bushnell trophy xlt 3-9 back (lifetime warranty), non repairable ( turrets don't move the reticle) from Vista. Basically a store credit of 22$ for a new 120$ scope. New ones made in S Korea, old one made in Philippines. Lifetime 'warranty' appears to be until it breaks. Yes, it had a unlimited lifetime warranty!! I already replaced it with a Vortex 4-12, appears to be same quality, not the greatest but will work. Don't know where the break point is but consider anything in the under 200$ as a throw-away. I dropped it off at the KC store (20$) to ship it, only 2 cars in the lot at the facility. Basically, Vista Outdoors will NOT honor the warranty anymore, just a warning.

That’s weird, I was sent a replacement Tasco scope for a 2.5-10 varminter last year. They sent me a a 6-24 sportsman by accident first and I was told to keep it and they sent me another varminter. I had an old golden antler that was bought in 1995, way before bushnell bought them out. I was told they would either fix or repair it. I received the old scope back saying the repair cost exceeded the repair. I called and was told that the scope was not warranted even though I gave them the serial number and date before I sent it in. I had to grind on them a little since they told me to send it in and I paid almost $15 for shipping out of pocket. They ended up telling me to toss out the scope and I basically got a choice of a few scopes to pick from. I ended up with a world class 4-12. No where near the glass quality of the old 4x German cross hair golden antler. It will go on one of my plinking rimfires or my sporter lee enfield. I have to say that sportsman they discontinued is crystal clear all the way to 24x! The 2.5-10 varmint scope is the same way. Every once in a while they make a great cheap scope. I just only use them on plinkers, rimfires, and air rifles. Not going to trust an economy scope for a big game hunt.

If it were me I’d call them back and raise some heck. They will end up sending a replacement optic.

I paid $115 for the new Academy Redfield 3x9x40 scope. I like it so far, very clear and passes the box test.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I need to try a Redfield one of these days. I remember the ads in outdoor life and field and stream back in the 70’s. Always thought they looked classy with the gloss finish.

Boolit Master
    I wound up buying a vortex. When i got to the bass pro to pick a scope the counter guy told me he set up a rifle for a guy to go elk hunting with and the airlines wrecked it. He gut called Vortex from the terminal and sent them a picture of the damaged scope and Vortex sent a new scope to the outfitters and it was waiting on him. The vortex was super clear and seems to track well. The little ar it is on got rained on and had to wait till my next range trip to get zeroed but its sighted in and shoots very well.
    Last edited by ebb; 11-03-2021 at 05:57 PM.

I replaced a bushnell 3x9 (anther story) with Vortex 4x12. Noticed that off 'center' @12, target gets fuzzy. Most just use the center of sight pic so it still works OK, just goes out of focus in the periphery. Difference between high $ lens and low$.
    PS: I just sent an email to Vista, unhappy they would offer a new scope to me for their wholesale price. So much for their lifetime warranty.
    Last edited by popper; 11-06-2021 at 10:32 AM.
    Whatever!

My next scope will probably be a Vortex viper 2.5-10. Waiting to see if they ever come in at midway discounted from $400 to $249. Just got my $399 refund check in the mail from Nikon. Had a NIB monarch 2.5-10 with a stripped turret screw. Nikon refunded me since they could not repair or replace it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    they did the same to me. I bought two of the 1.4x4.5s a couple years ago and mounted one on my 44 carbine and it spit the front lenses out on the 3rd shot. put the second one on it and after about 20 rounds i started missing. So i resighted it and it shot a 10 inch group for the next 3 shots. Sent them both back and they gave me a 50 dollar credit that my local gunshop wouldnt take. They are to scopes what lyman is to reloading gear.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123