Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ballard Offhand Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    It’s your thread, Vall. AFAIC, you can take it anywhere you want, subject to moderators’ whims.

You are absolutely correct in the interpretation of my question… I’m trying to find pictures of rifles adapted for the sport of target shooting 22s in offhand (standing), kneeling or sitting (depending on era), and prone. The shape of the stock had to work in all three disparate positions. The various positions used in Creedmoor style shooting are also interesting, but as you surmised, not the “position” I had in mind.

I know that you knew that Vall, but I thought I’d better explain myself to everyone before your thread went further into the weeds. Congratulations again on your latest find!

Best regards,
    Froggie

No problem Charlie! I often take my own posts way off topic, so I enjoy the discussion of position rifles, and the explanation or defining what they truly are. Only one I ever owned was an old Win. 52B that I shot adult smallbore with. I always wanted an old Ballard setup for adult smallbore, but never found one, and didn't have an action I wanted to use to build one up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, Vall. I often start threads and am amazed at where they go... even when I try to "guide" them!

My buddy Dale53 took pictures of a pair of Ballard position rifles built by CC Johnson for himself and his son and currently owned by his grandson Jerry, but lost the file in a computer crash. I'm not sure why my little amphibian brain took off in this direction but what's happening is this;

I'm thinking the barrel I got from Jim Borton at Etna Green years ago and used in the infamous Franken-Ballard was perhaps made for such a purpose. Of course Jim got the rifle for the action to build a schuetzen rifle, so didn't need the barrel. It was made by an Ohio gunsmith named Cheek and is about the weight of a Model 52 bull barrel, but a little longer, I believe. I'll be curious to see what turns up in my search for the "proper" stock for this. If I can't make a proper position rifle out of it, the heavy barrel will probably lead it to be a bench rest rifle... also a deserving fate for an orphan Ballard action.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12