RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late model Handi-Rifle worth it?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Late model Handi-Rifle worth it?

Hey folks. I'm currently bidding on a really nice NEF Handi Rifle in .45-70. It has the wood stock and the serial places it as being made in 2005. I realize these rifles don't go for $200.00 anymore, but how much would you spend if you wanted one? Anything to watch out for? I have an NEF shotgun and muzzleloader already and they are just fine. Anybody know if the Handi gets along with the Lee boolit designs? I have the 405 grain hollow base mold with some already cast.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    I bought a handi 45/70 with a 22in barrel 4 yrs ago for $200 with two boxes of shells and a red dot scope. Had it been the long barrel version, it would probably have gone for $400. I was amazed that I got it so cheap. I think the one I bought would probably go for $350 or more now. I also think that prices will come back down in the future. but What do I know.

I was about to order a brass frame Henry, but stumbled upon this one so figured I would see if I could get it first.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Just for what it is worth, in 37 years of gunsmithing/mounting scopes/zeroing rifles, I have never saw a H&R/NEF handi rifle in .45/70 that was not a shooter, and saw them outshoot Marlin 1895's and Ruger #1's in the same calibers, many times. I would suggest putting a good recoil pad on it if you get it.

Boolit Grand Master
    What Kroger said. Also, agree w/ recoil comment. In addition, I put a mercury recoil dampener in the through bolt in the stock. Made it a really ***** cat to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master
    The only thing I know for sure to watch out for on an H&R or NEF break open gun is what they call the striker and lifter assembly. It is what goes between the hammer and firing pin for a new and improved safer model. Yeah right.

Every single one I have had and shot very much has broken. Its not all that hard to replace, but it is time consuming and the gun is down hard until it is replaced. It is pretty cheap, the last one I bought was something like six or seven dollars.

I much prefer the older style with no block. I received an H&R Model 58 in .410 for Christmas in 1975 and grew up shooting that shotgun with zero problems, (no block). I must have put a bazillion rounds through it, but the newer ones I am careful to have a replacement part on hand before shooting it much.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have 4 Handi rifles and I think I shoot my 45-70 the most. They are all great guns. I have two different loads in 45-70 with two different bullets and the 500 grainer I load pretty stiff. But being the big bullet and it still is slower than most the recoil in it is really no that bad and e generally don’t like recoil.

With no more Handis being made I think $400ish is the ballpark these days even without the panic buying. Are they worth it? The four I have in 45-70, 44 mag, 22 hornet and 25-06 I would easily pay more than that. Some of the other calibers I would not.

Boolit Buddy
    Had one in 45-70 and really liked it. Shot well, recoil was harsh with heavy bullets /loads but not brutal. Had a friend ask me what to take with him kayaking in Alaska, sold it to him. I had 6 other 45-70's so did not miss not.

Overall a great rifle that you did not have to worry about.

Don

IMO any handi rifle is worth 250 to 450$ depending on caliber. The more rare the caliber the higher the price goes.

One of my most treasured possessions is a Handi rifle barrel in .45 colt that I bought here for 400$. Worth every penny.
    I paid 300$ for a combo .30-30 and 20 ga in like new condition, and I felt like I stole it.
    Pawn shop offered the guy 100$ 2 days earlier. Which shows you what they are looking for for markup. They normally offer 20 to 40% of what they think they can sell it for.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Mine is a handi rifle (45-70) I bought for $200.00 5yrs ago estate sale (never fired) it is my go to CF rifle for killing stuff to 190 yds with a 2x7 Leupold using a 350 gr NOE 460 FN sized to 459 over 26 gr of 2400 /1/2 grain of dacron . It recoils like a 30-30 (maybe) and bangs/flops anything shot in the correct spot ./Ed

Sounds great, thanks guys. If I get the rifle I will probably feed it the Lee hollow base 405 grain at trapdoor velocity. Anybody try this boolit in a Handi?

This is the rifle, sure hope I get it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix583845592.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	289080

I hope you get it too.
    Best wishes on your procurement.
    Don't forget to try paper patching Keith SWC's!

Boolit Buddy
    If the bid fails...look into a CVA Scout 45-70 in stainless steel. Before Biden Time, [BBT] I bought a new one for $350. I've had a "blast" shooting 300 gr coated cast boolets.
    !0 gr of Unique is quite accurate and with that load, 700 loads out of a pound of Unique is easy money per round
    The Flag is flown upside down as an official distress signal that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness has been compromised.

Hmmm. The NEF .45-70 is up to $376.00 with a day and a half to go. If I got it for that price plus shipping and transfer it costs about the same as a new blued Henry single shot. So, right now I'm leaning towards letting someone else have it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Hmmm. The NEF .45-70 is up to $376.00 with a day and a half to go. If I got it for that price plus shipping and transfer it costs about the same as a new blued Henry single shot. So, right now I'm leaning towards letting someone else have it.
    If you can get the Henry...that is the way I would go. Henry's are better rifles. And they will appreciate in value more.

Found another 2000's Handi Rifle with more finish wear than the first. Offered the seller $300.00 for it, hopefully he will bite.

You can always stub a 12 gauge Topper to 45-70. Just saying

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

My issue with the 45-70 I had was no throat. The rifling severely engraved the bullet, so much so, that it was hard to close.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

i would hold out for used tc encore, i have three and they were bought localy used for three to five hundred. the 5 hundred one had a older 4x leupold on it and it still is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast