Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Lyman/RCBS Type Top Punch for a Lee CTL310-158-2R

Boolit Master

Lyman/RCBS Type Top Punch for a Lee CTL310-158-2R

Just because they were/are on clearance for $15, I ordered one of these: https://leeprecision.com/product.php?productid=6740

This will be my first venture casting a rifle bullet and I will be sizing with the NOE push through sizer. I need to find what my top punch options are for seating/crimping the gas check. I think I recall seeing threads were folks have modified a top punch by stuffing/forming the punch with epoxy putty, but I would still need an appropriate top punch to support and hold the epoxy putty. Or am I way off in the weeds again?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I have done the epoxy thing with a large flat top punch. I had a spare and it worked. clean the top punch real good then slap on the epoxy and push in the cast boolit. Turn it to make sure it doesn't get stuck. It may look temporary but it works good and I don't have to look all over the place for a punch that may or may not work.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    This will be my first venture casting a rifle bullet and I will be sizing with the NOE push through sizer. I need to find what my top punch options are for seating/crimping the gas check. I think I recall seeing threads were folks have modified a top punch by stuffing/forming the punch with epoxy putty, but I would still need an appropriate top punch to support and hold the epoxy putty. Or am I way off in the weeds again?
    I think you are way out in the weeds. If you are going to size with a push through sizer, why aren't you installing gas checks at the same time?

I haven't read up on NOE push throughs, but as I understand it the Lee push through dies will install gas checks, so I think the NOE will to.

If they will, you don't need a top punch.

If they won't, and you have to use a Lyman/RCBS Lubrisizer to install gas checks, why even bother with the NOE push through? I realize that boolit is supposed to be tumble lubed, a GC on a TL boolit is something I really don't agree with.

Robert

https://www.castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/Lee.html

Lyman for a C312-155-2R Lyman number "467" ??? And modify it? Wild guess.

I never used one. Interesting.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 09-21-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Internet photo

Boolit Master

243winxb many thanks. Since posting I found an RCBS bullet whose tip looks very much like the Lee bullet and the RCBS #541, 85541 nose punch may work as well. Although the one you provided will likely be roomier, allowing for the epoxy putty to form and fill better.

Again thanks for the time and effort.
    Oley in JAX

edit added: oh WOW!!!, I didn't open your link until just now when I got home to my PC. That link is very helpful and is now saved for future reference. Many more boo-koo thanks.
    Last edited by oley55; 09-21-2021 at 09:28 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    When sizing this boolit I use the RCBS 554 top punch. It fits perfectly (without modifications/epoxy etc.), and it doesn’t leave a mark even on very soft alloys. I tried the Lyman 467 first, but it didn’t work well for me. I found the RCBS 554 to be the most compatible top punch for true spritzer designs like the Lyman 311-414 and Lyman 311-365.

Boolit Grand Master

Agree, the RCBS 554 should be a very close fit.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks