RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy new or buy pre-owned or buy vintage?

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Why buy new if you can find a good used one and save money is my thought. Vintage matches me so i don't care how old as long as it works well. most of my molds are 50 years old or more so are my sizers are well used old stuff. Dies i buy the best made and many new because my calibers are newer.

Banned
    I had a Battery Commander that would not use a pencil that he had not seen sharpened for the first time. Of course he was spending the government's money. It takes a lot of eggs to make and omelet.

Boolit Buddy
    It really depends what it is, prefer old stuff, "most" cases built better. Easier to work on,
    most things today are made with the "throw it away" Mentality, difficult to tear apart, basically
    assemble once..never tear apart.

Take an old Muscle car pop the hood...all motor, a few hoses...simple and easy, like the old
    mechanics used to listen to the motor and could tell you what was wrong.

I don't "chase technology" you will go broke. Don't buy the latest / greatest, it may be today
    but tomorrow not so much.

Still have all my old vintage "high end" audio equipment. Vacuum tubes, R2R, Cassette Decks
    most is worth more than what I paid for it.

Old Calipers, dial gauges, some machinist tools, electrical tools, old power tools, blacksmith tools
    hand tools, hit / miss engines, etc.

New stuff once in a while, depends what it is.

-Rock

Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    Like you I buy experienced stuff. I have never owned a new car. I even got my wife used! She came with two second hand kids.
    Foesgth, Send Me all Your reloading supplies or I'm gonna tell Your wife what You said. Har Har

Good Shooting

Lindy

Boolit Buddy
    I like old and the new. I like going to the flea markets and spend the day to see what kind of deal I can get on things I could use or deals on old rifles. I also can go in to the gun shop and buy that new firearm.
    I enjoy mix even trading for good deals.
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought a new truck when I retired, first new thing I ever owned and the last!

Banned

I have never had a new car or truck. Have bought a couple for the wife over the years.

You mentioned a washing machine, about ten years ago, bought a new set up, front loader (bad idea) water conserving, very quiet. Thing cause several problems, started leaking a few months ago and I'd had enough, went to Sears in town and bought the simplest looking top loader they had, looked like it jumped out of the '70s, but I think it's gonna hold up a lot better.

Older, simpler stuff is often just better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slohunter View Post
    Bought a new truck when I retired, first new thing I ever owned and the last!
    I usually bought used from family or folks I knew and then Carmax. I did buy a new 2000 Tundra which was a good decision. We’ve got two Carmax cars right now.

Boolit Master
    I have a friend like the OP who has to buy the latest and greatest of everything that comes out.
    Seems he sell them with in a few months and buys the next newest. Crazy I guess but to each their own.
    I’m also a mixed guy. I like saving money reloading so all used gear. Firearms mixed bag.
    Small things for the home we buy new, but if parts were still available I’d still have most of my old kitchen appliances. Air fryer and microwave are new. ( got to make the wife happy)!

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

I bouight most of my reloading equipment used - but that was before the current craziness with prices. This is generally stuff that doesn't wear out, a little lubrication and it's back to usefulness. I have several sets of 310/TrueLine dies and two and a half TrueLine presses. I have a Brown Bair and a Grizzley Bair that I bought used, and a Hollywood Sr.ut a bought used. All of the above in regular use.

Most of my molds were purchased new - but a few were used and work just as well as long as they were well cared for. Guns are a mixed bag - most used but a couple new - Uberti and Pietta copies and my 41Colt were all purchased new.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

All Depends. I've purchased three vehicles in my life that were new. And was gifted a new Ford Ranger in 1993. New TR-7 senior year of high school in 1976. New Kia for my wife in 2001. New F-250 in 1997. The numerous vehicles in between and since these have been used in one form or another. I think 11 others in my 47 years of driving. The Kia made it to 100,000 when I sold it, the F-250, to 197,000 when I sold it and the Ranger I had over 250,000 on that little 4 cylinder when I sold it. Should have bought two more of those. I purchase cash my last truck which I still have F150 215,000 miles and still going, a miata which I killed about this time last year that had over 240,000 miles on it, and my Mazda cz5 2016 model I bought last year used with 25,000 miles on it. If you buy new, you pay for a lot of new smell that disipates at about the same time as the value. I bought that like new mazda at roughly $5,000 less than a new one. And at 25,000 miles it is new.
    Now guns, I mainly buy new, but not all of them.
    For appliances in house, new, but I have no issue if I ran across used at the time I need it. (not Refridges)
    I've got the computer I'm using now that was a refurbished, I refurbed my old laser printer, my lasers are all new.
    But I've got two 1940 era Radial arm saws that I refurbished and use in my shop along with a 1970's radial arm drill press that I saved and put back together and a 1970s era wood lathe.
    Oh, also a 1960s powermatic planer that I put back together and use.
    I've refurbished a table saw from the 40s and a band saw that I have sold in the past. Fun taking an old tool and making it work like new.

New is good when it was originally a very good item and is worth rebuilding.

Boolit Master
    It depends. I know from nothing about auto repair or electronics, so unless I know the previous owner and usage, and it’s cheep, I buy new. And use it till it crumbles to dust.

The exception to this is that once I get the Version 3 or 5 or whatever, I resist all frantic e-blandishments to get the NEW!! Version 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, whatever; with all the exciting new Apps I don’t need and the extra complications attendant to using the stuff I do want to use.

Other things I rarely buy new, if used and in good condition is available. Older stuff is generally better made, easier on the eyes and, unless abused, at least as useful as new stuff.

I find that bench vises are particularly bad in this regard. A good pull on the lever of an old vise holds the part in a death grip. On a new vise (of the same cost as the old, used one), I can put my whole weight on the lever and the part will twist or sink in the jaws at the first file stroke or whatever.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    In my lifetime I’ve had good and bad experiences buying used as well as good and bad buying new. You normally have to put more time and effort into finding something used in good condition and there’s normally more risk of problems. However, used stuff can be a good deal if you know what you’re buying. I recently bought a Lee mold on the internet. It looked like new. The Boolits it cast were too small for me to use. Not close to what it said on the box. I was casting pure lead too, so it couldn’t have been the alloy. I waited too long to try it, so I couldn’t send it back. It wasn’t too expensive and I have bought used Lee molds in the past that worked fine. Pay your money and take your chances.

Boolit Master

For the last 25 years or so, I've bought new vehicles and appliances. The cars have all been kept at least 10 years. A 1998 F150 I kept for 15 years. Two Toyota Avalons were 10 and 11 years respectively. I've had the present Tundra 8 years and expect it will last me the rest of my life unless it gets totaled. The present Avalon will have had 5 years come end of December. If I last another 5 years, I'll get another new one(maybe).

Most of my reloading/casting equipment has been used. I trust reloaders/casters for the most part and haven't been disappointed. Of course the mil-surps have been used. In most cases they have worked out better than I expected.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I've bought new and old. Just depends on what you are talking about. Guns, knives, cars, reloading equipment, dies, molds, ad nauseum. I have old H-G, Saeco, Ideal, Lyman molds that I just love. I have purchased molds from NOE, Lee, Mihec, and some other vendors on this forum. It just depends on what it is, price, need, condition and availability of funds. I have presses that are new and used. 310 sets, all used. But I enjoy them all. Some new things I've seen, wouldn't waste a penny on, A lot of bells and whistles on them just waiting for failure.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Read an article on a business website recently that farmers are paying high prices for midsize used tractors that have no computerized systems. Seems the new computerized tractors in the similar HP range are not as reliable, cost like crazy new, and can only be worked on by the dealer who has the computer analysis equipment. Makes sense to me. The guy who cuts hay on my place, who I know could afford new tractors, uses older JD and Case tractors with his hay equipment.

A friend whose brothers are big time grain farmers in South Dakota says they search the farm sales for good used older tractors that suit their needs too, and would only buy new as a last resort. A few years ago they had to pay a hight price for a used JD combine, but have gotten good service from it since.

Boolit Master

I buy both new and used. But always look for the best deal.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

I buy mostly used although the last two cars my wife bought were new. We do buy new food and toiletries. LOL! The vast majority of everything else is used, even some clothes. Our house was also built in the early 1920s, All of my presses, lube sizers and powder measures were used. I have bought a few new dies and other trinkets though. I like the experienced stuff, usually depreciated and broken in.

Boolit Master

Mixed for me. IMO Most new consumer products are tech-loaded. Great until it stops working and you need a PhD to fix it. Modern appliances & electronics are designed to fail and be too expensive to repair so you are coerced into buying another newer model. Automobiles are computers on wheels nowadays. I have to admit they seem to last longer but heaven help your bank account if something goes wrong after the warranty expires. I’ll buy a new vehicle and keep it 4-5 years. Mainly because I don’t want the wife breaking down while driving alone. Tools last forever, most of mine are 35-50 years old. I purchased 75% of my firearms used, all good prices and in near new condition. I usually buy fishing gear new but my two ‘luckiest’ most productive rods were used ($5 for one, $25 for the other). New or used doesn’t matter much, as long as it keeps working.

Boolit Master
    Over the past year or so I bought a K38, a Super Blackhawk and a 24-3. All used and all great shooters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast