MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Vihtavouri N110 and/or N32C in cast rifle loads

Boolit Buddy

Vihtavouri N110 and/or N32C in cast rifle loads

Hello,

Anyone used these powders in Milsurp cast bullet shooting w/ any success? N110 is real close or the same burn rate as IMR4227 and the N32C is their version of Trail Boss.

Our local Scheels gets in IMR4227 on occasion and has gone up to $41.99/lbs and an 8 lbs keg is $259.99. They get a lot more Vihtavouri powder in all the time for about the same price.

What say you?

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Difference between TB and N32C is that TB starts with a fill of 70% and works up.
    Same pressure with N32C dictates, start at 50% fill and work up carefully. Pressurecurve is like a hockeystick.
    Suddenly a little goes way high. *

While these are fast pistol powders N110 is considered a breach between very slow pistol (magnum) powder and very fast rifle powder. I use N110 in heavy 44MAG and 357MAG + moderate 45-70, 45-90 and so forth. Light ones (45-70, 45-90) i use N105 and that goes well with whicked 357 and 44!

* Saw an old geezer at the club changing from BP to N32C. He was told that it was a cowboy powder but in no way a 1:1 BP substitute. No matter what he filled to the brim and compressed as he'd done for the past 50+ years. 4'th shot split the cylinder and bent the top strap of his original 1873 (1886 year) SAA 45LC. Went from $5000 worth to zero in a trigger pull!

So with these powders a little goes a long way in regards of pressure but as they are both "low energy" powders speed lacks and leads folks into trouble!

Boolit Grand Master

N32C in no way compares to TB in load density. To think so is to invite disaster.

I have done extensive pressure testing of N32C in most all cartridges used in SASS shooting including the 45-70. It is a very fast burning powder sometimes close to RedDot and sometimes like Trend of. N32C is not really that bulky either.

No way would I ever load any milsurp cartridge at 50% with N32C for a start load.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I haven’t tried those, but the other Vihtavuori powders I’ve used have worked really well for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Roger. Just spitballing. However, I think the N110 may be a viable alternative.