Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Anyone using the Holosun 407C red dot on their pistol?

Boolit Master

Anyone using the Holosun 407C red dot on their pistol?

Finally accepting the fact that I just have to use a red dot in order to get maximum accuracy out of my handguns. That was apparent when doing recoil testing and shooting 3 different Glock pistols last week, with only one having a red dot. It's groups were half the size of the others.

I currently have 2 mid-level quality red dots; the Burris Fastfire III and the Vortex Venom. Love the Burris, but for a carry gun, I need an optic with a "shake awake" feature. Plus, with my astigmatism, the Holosun 407C has an optional red circle reticle rather than the usual solid dot. I'm told the circle is much clearer than the dot. All of my red dots look like exclamation marks rather than dots.

The Holosun is about $100 more than the Fastfire, but hopefully worth it. Anyone using one of these?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I have two of the Holosun HS507C X2 with the 32 MOA circle and the dot. One can use the circle, dot or the circle and the dot. I keep mine on the circle only and use it that way.

Boolit Master

Have used the Holosuns fairly extensively for the last year or so. Like them a lot. They ended up on our agency short list as being among those that are hard to break, and on the two that have thrown us curves, the customer service has been excellent.

We tested the 407 with the 8 MOA "donut" reticle. If all you are looking for is a combat pistol optic for "close encounters", I will say that it is FAST in that role. I don't like it for my instruction and general purposes because it is too coarse for the longer range work I occasionally like to do.

The 507C is basically the same optic with the variable reticle. The 32 MOA circle is basically 4" across at 16 yards - so some guys like it as a different take on the 407's donut.

The 508T is the same functionally as the 507C, but with a titanium housing and a square top. It sounds funny, but I like the square tops because I'm used to resting slides upside down on their sights when I clean them. Can't do that with the round top 407/507C.

I'm currently running a 509T, which has the emitter sandwiched between two pieces of class, protecting it from the elements and making for easier cleaning. The 507 and 508 let you run 2 MOA dot, 2 MOA dot in 32 MOA circle, or 32 MOA circle by itself. The 509T will not run the circle alone, but otherwise the same function.

I've come to run the dot by itself, finding the circle just too much distracting clutter - especially in a night shoot.

I don't have a solid opinion of the optional green reticles, but a lot of guys swear by 'em. One argument being that wavelength doesn't really occur in nature much and you get good contrast; another being it works well with astigmatism (I can't really tell any difference on that score); and another is you should run green for desert and red for greener areas. Worth checking out and forming your own opinion.

ALSO: CHPWS mounting plates, and no other.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Only can comment on the HS507K X2. It's flat out awesome but my next one will be the HE507K-GR X2
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer