Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Having issues with consistency loading 357 maximum.

Boolit Buddy

Having issues with consistency loading 357 maximum.

I have recently bought an MGM tc encore barrel in 357 maximum ant it is an awesome barrel. Immediately I tried to use some loads in 357 max I had made for my tc contender pistol.
    Well, while the tc pistol don’t any issues chambering the round, the MGM did not.
    I decided to get my unfired Remington 357 max brass and the brass fit the chamber fine.
    I started reloading and testing the chambering to see how it was doing. I had again same issue as before.
    I trimmed the brass to 1.595” and tried again and also sit the sizing die to almost touching the shell holder.
    It worked.
    After seeing the accuracy results I was thrilled with the good groups at 50 and 100 yds.
    Tested other loads and I started to get hit and miss issues with the tight chamber. At this point I am thinking that perhaps my 38/357 mag carbide die is not fit to do a good consistent sizing.
    It is a Lee carbide what I have now. Is there a recommended Lee carbide die or something else better suited for the 357 maximum?
    Thanks.
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have two MGM bbls in 357max and one Win Low Wall. None of these barrels had any trouble with brass. In fact, it’s very unusual to have to trim brass for this cartridge. I think your problem is with your bullets, not your brass. You don’t say what your bullets are: diameter, weight, cartridge OAL. More info would be helpful.

Being it's a rimmed cartridge, the die set is likely a roll crimp. Try a taper crimp die. I was in the same situation one time. two pistols, one load, one would chamber and one would not. I bought the Lee taper crimp die and my problem was solved.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy
    The bullets I am using are:
    Speer 158 gr (.357”)
    Hornady 180grXTP (.357”)
    Speer 180gr JFP (.358”)
    Lee 357c-200-rfp. (.359”)
    Hornady 170gr jsp (.355”)

Sometimes they chamber just fine and sometimes they don’t or get in partially in and tighten up.

Yes I am using the seating die built in roll crimp. I am flaring the mouth for easy loading and I thought the die was not straightening it as I seat the bullet. I have adjusted a few times and it suddenly works but next time it does not.
    That is what I had been experiencing. In the other hand, the same ammo that has issues in the mgm encore barrel, they fit just fine in my contender pistol.

I will buy a taper crimp die to see if it improves.
    Camba

Boolit Buddy
    By the way,
    When I was able to load those rounds ok, they print nice semi-ragged holes at 50 yds and near an inch at 100 yds. Even the .355” bullet.

Boolit Master
    You’re over expanding and then using too much crimp. There’s nothing wrong with a roll crimp on either the .357mag or the .357max. However, it’s easy to over crimp. A good crimp doesn’t jump out at you. If you can easily see that the end of the case is rolled inwards, you have too much crimp. A good roll crimp is very, very slight. It doesn’t take much crimp to hold the bullet in place even with heavy recoiling loads. I’ve been loading the .357mag and the .357max for many, many years now. I’ve probably loaded and shot well over 100k rounds over the years. I’ve owned two different .357mag semi-auto handguns as well as quite a few revolvers and several rifles. The only time I had trouble chambering a round was way back when, when I didn’t get the crimp right…..too much of it. One other thing, if your chamber is crudded up you’ll have some problems inserting your bullets also. Back off the crimp and only expand the absolute minimum to get the bullet started.

Boolit Buddy
    NSB,
    Thank you. That would explain some of the issues I am having.
    I had been increasing the crimp to the point it bulged the case.
    I need to set the sizing die and the seating die correctly.
    I may have to buy a new carbide die to have it dedicated to the 357 max.
    I will try loading some tonight wit the advice I am getting.
    Don’t hesitate to provide more advice and experiences. I do like to lear more stuff.
    Thank you

Boolit Buddy
    NSB,
    I started using a neck expander die for the 38 special and made a little flare than what I was using before.
    I measure my cases and lowered the seating die until touching the case and the I gave it a small turn in to make the flare.
    I started reloading my 204 gr Lee cast Boolit (.359 dia.) and the just dropped in the chamber nicely.
    I think it was me all along. I had been reloading for 30 years and I thought I knew it all.
    Thank you friends!
    Camba