Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: ceramaic car wax

Boolit Master

ceramaic car wax

anything special about these waxes over a standard good wax?

They are much better, provide more of a sealant, protect against UV better and they last much longer.

Several years ago, a buddy on another forum worked for NASA, and they used it for all sorts of different things.
    This was before it came on the retail market.
    He bought a big barrel of it from the vender, re-packed it in smaller bottles and sold it to us
    on the forum labeled as 'Dave's snake oil'.

It is magic stuff!! I waxed my boat with it.
    That boat was slicker than a New York City politician that owns a used car lot!
    And it lasted almost a year outside in the Texas sun.

You could equate to to something like a Teflon coating and regular wax would be more like hand lotion on our skin.

Do a quickie search for 'ceramic car wax'. Several good articles about it pop right up.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-20-2021 at 02:36 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    can't help, lets put it this way, for me anyway. its rain out right now. my trucks getting washed!

Boolit Master

They are much better in my opinion. On the down side your prep should be really up to snuff. Thorough washing, clay bar and polishing of paint imperfections before applying. It's worth it though.

Boolit Master
    All I use on my truck and motorcycle for the last 2 years. Easy to apply, and lasts longer than wax. Spray onto glass and chrome also.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't put anything on your car that can not be removed. Having owned a body and restoration shop, I have turned away more than a few customers who had paint sealants applied to their vehicles, and teflon was possibly the worst.
    Can't repair and paint without removing all the sealant, as the primer and paint will not adhere properly. When sanding back teflon, it chips back leaving a ring around the repair. Other coatings such as ceramics, high silicones, armorall, are all nightmares to deal with when painting and repairing car bodywork.
    Just use plain old turtlewax or similar product, and wax more often, its more cost effective in the long run.

Boolit Master

Ceramic wax can be removed with certain detergents designed for it.

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm lost in the past not knowing about these coatings, last vehicle I waxed was a motorcycle with carnauba wax long ago

it must be pretty tough stuff if prepsol or laquer thinner won't cut though it and take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Don't put anything on your car that can not be removed. Having owned a body and restoration shop, I have turned away more than a few customers who had paint sealants applied to their vehicles, and teflon was possibly the worst.
    Can't repair and paint without removing all the sealant, as the primer and paint will not adhere properly. When sanding back teflon, it chips back leaving a ring around the repair. Other coatings such as ceramics, high silicones, armorall, are all nightmares to deal with when painting and repairing car bodywork.
    Just use plain old turtlewax or similar product, and wax more often, its more cost effective in the long run.

Boolit Buddy
    I rinse my brass in it after it comes out of the tumbler wash. Time will tell if it slows down the darkening process.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    This is what scares me about a lot of the fancy finish products! If silicone gets to the metal paint will never bond properly. The same thing applies to guns. If wood is ever contaminated by silicone you'll never be able to finish it again. Now that I think about it, cars are throw away products now days.