MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: scrap yard SELLING prices

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post

... Last time I bought any was about 15 years ago; bought 400 lbs.... $1.25 a pond
    That seems like awful lot of money to pay 15 years ago. 2-3 years I was paying 65 - 70 cents/lb for any type of lead and then it went up to a dollar. I bought bags of hard lead shot, linotype, solder, WW. Now the owner lets me have discount on WW 70 cents/lb but I negotiated a deal to buy all his linotype for $0.70/lb 5 buckets of lead, over 500 pounds. I also bought a pig once, pretty sure it was linotype, tested 24 - 26 bhn. I also found bars that says linotype on it, they are connected but break off easily.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The last car battery I took in was worth $9 to them.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

So I went yesterday to get the agreed upon lead, it turned out to be mostly lead sheet with a few pieces of lead pipe thrown in. He had wanted $1 a lb but the lead pipe had a bunch of crud in it and the traps(?) had the lids still on them so he discounted those. In the end it turned out to be .83¢ a lb, which should yield well over 100 lbs of almost pure soft lead once made into ingots. I had been calling a few recycling places around here and none had any for sale, one told me they no longer accept lead, I asked why and he told me in an incredulous tone "because it's hazmat", had to stifle my laughter since last time I was there the whole place was an EPA nightmare. The place that sold me the lead turned out to be a one man operation in a garage size building, which luckily for me hadn't got the memo about the dangerous lead.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Negotiate. Sellers will ask any price and try to foist zinc or other things on you. I have learned my lesson.

Buck a pound has been pretty much the stable scrap yard price for selling me lead for a long time. Have gotten some deals at less for buying a whole roll of sheet lead that a few of us split. Have paid a bit more for some premium alloys such as a barrel of mono type.

On the minus side, they know what forms of lead I will find especially valuable and sometimes charge a touch more. On the plus side they keep an eye out for those forms of lead they know I will be most happy to purchase so I get some good finds. Like organ pipes that are 40% tin. They set aside in a small bin knowing I would buy it all and saving me from digging it out from under a bunch of other lead.

Price tends to be .40 for "hard" or "dirty" lead such as wheel weights. $1.00 for clean lead. Last good sizable score was a few hundred pounds of flywheel lead that tested at 4% Sb and 96% Pb. Sort of COWW's on steroids. I have the tin to bring that all to a nice 3/2/95 alloy like WW's of old.

Stuff sort of fooled me with how hard it was and how the grain showed when it broke. Thought it might be an even better alloy that 4% Sb.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub
    .64 to 1.00 per lb in Ky. If you can find it. Iv bought just about all the pure I find in scrap yards near me. Wheel weights from tire shops if they will sell is running now 50$ per bucket. Which is way to high

Boolit Master

I just paid $.25 for WW and $.40 for clean. I scored 3 partial 50/50 bars, about 5 lb of unknown solder, probably 50/50, still on a reel, and a 1 lb pure tin bar.

Boolit Master

I just found linotype at a scrap yard for a buck fifty a pound. It's outside in a bin.. Very slightly oxidized... I bought 17-18# ( filled a large #10 coffee can ) smelted and cleaned it..got 16# 15oz good lino ingots and just a small pile of dross... Going back with 2 5g buckets tomorrow...

Boolit Bub
    Called today in my location, 1.00 # for WW. They claim it is true lead WW. I’ll have to go there next week and put some eyes on it to be sure. It seems high now, but like everything these days, I’ll probably kick myself for not getting some in the coming months.

Paid .60 a lb this morning. Mixed lead theres usually some solder mixed in the bin I always grab. There were 3 bags of #9 shot i was tempted to grab but passed.
    Don't tread on anyone.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The last I bought was about 5 years ago . I paid 30¢/# for 155# of RB and corny ingots with about 25# of 38 WC and 3 10# rolls of 4" flashing .

I don't have a clue any more .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Last week got 196 lbs of WW. I culled 9 lbs of trash, zinc and steel weights from it to get 187 lbs. Price was 20 cents a lb for dirty lead. Sometimes they charge 30 cents but not this time.

Month ago got 450 lbs of lead cast into bullets, sinkers and ingots. So almost no loss / trash. There was 15 lbs of some odd looking almost electrode shaped pieces that are lighter than lead and very hard. Haven't figured out what it is. Paid 65 cents a lb as it was considered clean lead.

Quote Originally Posted by JedYonkers View Post
    There were 3 bags of #9 shot i was tempted to grab but passed.
    I'd go back. All the shot I've picked up was a real hard Lead alloy.
    It's a bit of a hassle to stir, and get it into the melt, but makes great rifle boolits.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Paid .60 a lb this morning. Mixed lead theres usually some solder mixed in the bin I always grab. There were 3 bags of #9 shot i was tempted to grab but passed.
    Around here shot is approaching $50.00/bag. Grab it, sell it, and buy more lead. Sleet shooters love #9

Around here shot is approaching $50.00/bag. Grab it, sell it, and buy more lead. Skeet shooters love #9

Boolit Mold
    Just bought some - southern Indiana -.40 for mixed wheel weights & .80 for soft lead. Debating to go back for more.

Boolit Buddy
    Go back for all the wheel weights they have. Then consider buying the soft lead.

Boolit Master

$1 a pound yesterday for dirty lead. Had 2 barrels about 1/2 full, mixed wheel weights, lead sheath phone cable about 5/8" diameter. May have had other below the surface.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Lead sheath.... Nice. I had some that had some low % antimony in it.

For wheel weights I'm paying between 20-30 cents per pound. Last week bought 158 lbs at 25 cents per pound. Running about 10% trash, zinc, steel, etc.

There is a guy that every couple of weeks turns in around 75 pounds of sorted WW with the clips removed to my scrapper. I have a bucket with my name and number and they dump them in the bucket and I go by once a month to pick them up. Since they are sorted with clips removed i have to pay clean lead price of 65 cents. But, it is all lead and almost no dross when smelting. Over the past year I've got around 2,000 lbs of mostly WW from this scapper and mostly paid 10-20 cents but now it's 20-30 cents.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 11-18-2021 at 04:00 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast