Boolit Master

scrap yard SELLING prices

This is what the scrap yards are paying in JAX:

PRICE PER POUND
    Lead
    $0.48 - $0.54
    Lead Wheel Weights
    $0.08 - $0.09

A question for you folks who have bought scrap lead from a scrap yard, what prices are you paying?

Note to self: the $25 I have been paying for a 155# bucket of wheel weights from my tire store seems like an awfully good deal for the tire store and perhaps not so much for me.

Also, I have been contemplating posting an ad on Craigslist for buying roof stacks or other soft lead, but am uncertain what would be both reasonable and/or enticing for the seller.
    Last edited by oley55; 09-20-2021 at 01:43 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    ive paid anywhere from 20 cents a pound to a dollar a pound, depends on scrapyard and what your getting

Like gasoline, wood, all metals, etc. Commodities float up & down every day.

Scrap yards are a 'for profit' business.
    What they pay, and what they sell for-- if they can sell to the public at all, are two very different figures.

The yard I used to go to sold stuff- by weight, for about 150% of what they paid for it.
    Another local yard at the time thought all his stuff was solid Gold when you wanted to buy it.

Just watch the market, shop around, and make your best deal.

I used to get the Lead roof stacks from Home Depot for free when the manager decided to have a clean up
    and there was a few that kids had smashed up too badly for them to sell.

Another source is to let everybody know you're looking for Lead.
    I've scrounged it from roofers, Plumbers, and the local independent tire shops.
    As the refugees come here from the coast, I've been given, and found at garage sales lots of those
    big salt water fishing sinkers. Some of them 2-3 pounds each.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-20-2021 at 02:10 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

I bought a 62lb ingot of lead from my local scrapyard last week, it was $0.15/lb $12 total, Got it all cast into ingots and ready to go.

Tom

Boolit Master
    I have a bit of knowledge about the scrap business. there are basically two prices that scrap yard sell for, its known as truck load, usually somewhere around 50000-60000lbs, depends on container or trailer size and if its going overseas or not, and then there is the less than truckload price.
    for an example, keep in mind its depending on the size of the scrapyard and the buyers they deal with, a scrap yard will fill lets say for example a 48 foot gondola scrap trailer filled with steel, not white good appliances that's a whole other thing, they layout the money buying from people bringing junk in the yard. the scrap yard might make a gross profit of $100 to a $200.
    but if a scrap yard will sell to the public to jokers like me they might be buying lead, paying the public lets say 50 cents a pound and then sell to me to buying only one 55 gallon barrel full for a dollar a pound even though if they can fill a truck they will get 85 cents a pound and if its less than truck load they sell to wholesale buyer they might only get 65 cents a pound. I made these numbers up but I think you get the idea.

but regardless if you have a scrap yard you can deal with and they will sell stuff to you you're lucky. buy what you can and as a yardstick to figure if price it would be nice not to pay more than the current kitco price. even though that is price for clean processed material. and then again you can look at what it would cost from rotometals.
    Last edited by farmbif; 09-20-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Selling price is about ten times their buying price. Last stuff I bought (last year)was 75cents/lb, but I am sure its at least a buck a pound now

Boolit Buddy
    So the last stuff I purchased from a scrap yard was $.50 a lb for scrap lead and $.40 a lb for mixed lead (wheel weights). That was less then a month ago in southern Ca.

Boolit Grand Master

None of the scrap yards around here will sell to the public.

Boolit Master

I paid $.85 a pound for some lead pipe here. Then I happened to hear them tearing up the street a few houses away from me and got some pipe for free. I like free better.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

About 2-3 months ago I asked about buying lead when I took soda cans in to sell. They had about 4 lb ingots for $1.50 per pound and "dirty" lead at $1.00.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    The local scrapyard here will not sell lead to the public. Here in the middle of Nebraska, one can still find lead in other places, though.

Boolit Buddy
    Most of the big scrap yards I've been to do not sell to the public. I have had more luck at small locations but they usually do get much lead in.

Boolit Buddy
    My local scrapyard has sold lead to the public at the same price for a long time--maybe a decade or more. It has always been $1.50 per pound. They dump all of it in big bins, and they treat all "lead" the same. They usually have good, clean sheet lead that is pretty soft, but on occasion you will also find unused bars and rolls of solder in the bin. And it all sells for $1.50 per pound.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    The two yards I used to buy from, the price was $1 per pound in one place, anything in the lead barrel was that price, ( including a pig of Linotype), second yard was $1 for dirty lead,( they had a 700 pound boat keel, first one I had ever seen) $1.50 for clean lead. Good luck in your searches, guys. If you live in SE Texas, PM me for the addresses of these two yards. ( no, I don’t work either yard, lol)
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

They dont sell much lead out here @ scrap yards. Just be aware that the clip ww you get are not likely going to be lead so if they let you sort, great price under 25c / #.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Funny, I just agreed to pay just under $1 a lb from a local scrapyard, sheet and other soft lead. Pick up 100lbs or so on Monday.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    This Friday I found another 26 lbs of cww about 2.5 lbs ended up being zinc and about 10 lbs of sheet lead all for $.40 a lb. I forgot to ask what they pay for lead. The guy said they don't get much lead throughout the month.

The O.P.s question was what do they BUY it for. Sometime this fall I'm going to find out what batteries are worth. I've got about a dozen piled out by the barn. Probably not much by our standards.

I've never sold any other kind of lead to a scrapyard. Last time I bought any was about 15 years ago; bought 400 lbs more or less of X-ray room shielding that I paid about $1.25/lb. for, if memory serves. Had to load it myself, too. Took a while to reduce it to ingots, as I didn't have anything but my 20 lb Lyman pot back then. Still don't.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Call a few of your local scrap yards to check the prices. You probably will be surprised what they will bring. See if they will buy brass cartridge cases as well. Some prices fluctuate quite a bit.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=uscra112;5268188]The O.P.s question was what do they BUY it for.
    That was just the beginning of his post his actual question was...
    A question for you folks who have bought scrap lead from a scrap yard, what prices are you paying?
    I will also plan on scrapping about a dozen car batteries and a few trucks batteries this fall as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast