Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: sporterized M1903 Springfields scope and safety interference

sporterized M1903 Springfields scope and safety interference

For you guys that have sporterized Springfields: One thing I notice with Dads rifle, there is no way to mount the scope far enough forward or backward that it does not interfere with the safety. Any of you have the same problem? If so is there a way to deal with it?

I think I will start a different thread about this issue. Here are a couple of pictures:

Safety ON

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0177.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	289002

Safety OFF

Name:	IMG-0176.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	289003

Name:	IMG-0175.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	289004
    Romans 10:9"...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."

My trading feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post3092680

The scope kind of needs to be mounted where it 'fits' with proper eye relief.
    Back when O3s were everywhere, a few companies made a aftermarket safety that was low enough to clear a scope.

Brownell's might still have one available, or you might get another GI one and start carving on it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Your No. 1 photo looks like the safety wing is raised high enough to work. But, I guess it doesn't? Anyway, there are similar safeties available, like the Mark II safety. There were a couple of manufacturers of "low scope safeties", and I think a couple of them were Buehler and Dayton Traister. I have an '03 sporter, and the Mark II safety is located on the right side. It is a bit tricky to install, as it requires cutting a slot in the right side of the bolt shroud to retain the safety in place when it's in the off safety position. Another solution is modification of the bolt shroud for a Win. Mod. 70-type safety. This is best done by a gunsmith familiar with the conversion as it requires a milling machine and some special tooling. Better solution, I think, to search for a compatible scope.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Your No. 1 photo looks like the safety wing is raised high enough to work. But, I guess it doesn't?..........Better solution, I think, to search for a compatible scope.

DG
    Yes the safety wing is raised up high enough to work. It is just kind of awkward. A compatable scope would be a better choice for sure, just don't know what it would be. Something with enough eye relief to allow mounting forward of the safety would be nice.
    Romans 10:9"...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."

My trading feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post3092680

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Changing the safety from the bolt shroud/cocking piece to the trigger is certainly another approach, albeit somewhat expensive. Essentially those are the two methods of how safeties work-- blocking the cocking piece or blocking the trigger. Personally, and it's probably just me, but I've always preferred the first method. One less thing to break, malfunction, wear out and cause an accidental discharge. The trigger safety adds another link in the chain. But, many use them with satisfaction.

The "finding the right scope" thing can be maddening. There are so many possible combinations of scopes, mounts, and rings. Long scopes, medium scopes, short scopes, long eye relief scopes, etc., etc. There is always the Scout Scope option, which can solve the eye relief problem, but can change the balance of the rifle, and takes some practice to be able to rapidly acquire the sight picture. High scope mounts will sometimes solve a problem like yours, and sometimes "see through" mounts can be a plus, allowing you to use the iron sights in a pinch without having to remove the scope. Goodness knows, I've got boxes of scopes and mount/ring combinations that just wouldn't work out. A good way to start your search would be to determine what the correct eye relief/distance measurement is for your existing scope, then read the specifications for eye relief distance for prospective scopes, looking for something longer. Also, be aware of the different shapes and diameters of the bells of prospective scopes. Good luck--sooner or later they can all be scoped.

DG

Boolit Master
    Think I might have a "low swing" safety in my misc parts box. Let me check.

I would put a low swing safety on it. Is the scope image clear with the focus adjustment almost unscrewed like it is? That's a good looking rifle your dad left you.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Found it, made by Buehler. PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I would put a low swing safety on it. Is the scope image clear with the focus adjustment almost unscrewed like it is? That's a good looking rifle your dad left you.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I love it. I should post a picture of the whole rifle. Strangely enough the scope is clear and focused. Sure looks funky however.

Sweet!

Boolit Buddy
    Since it's an heirloom and not something your really concerned about the "resale value" or "investment in it" I would put a 2 position Winchester style safety on it, that's the best solution. Spend the money and do it "right".

Boolit Bub
    Wisner's two position safety is available here:
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-prod9916.aspx
    This does require the modification (milling) of your bolt shroud.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m pretty sure there are scope mounts that raise the scope higher. I had one on a 222, but forget what the rifle was. I think it was used for the bolt clearance. The scope was definitely higher. It took a little getting used to compared to other scopes.

Got the low swing safety installed! Thanks Rich!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    The scope kind of needs to be mounted where it 'fits' with proper eye relief.
    Back when O3s were everywhere, a few companies made a aftermarket safety that was low enough to clear a scope.

Brownell's might still have one available, or you might get another GI one and start carving on it.
    Brownells, Numrich, or Sarco may have a safety.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin