Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the ultimate 38/357 die setup for cast boolits?

Boolit Master
    When I started reloading many years ago my mentor told me to get Lyman dies for pistol cartridges and RCBS for rifle. At the time I didn't understand why (and he didn't explain), but after loading a ton of cast bullets in various pistol cartridges I now understand - it was because the Lyman dies came with the M-die.

Like Nueces, I've put together a couple of mixed die sets for particular purposes, however, if I were buying off-the-shelf die sets I would (and have) gotten Lyman for pistol cartridges and I've used RCBS, Lyman, and Lee die sets with satisfaction for rifle cartridges as long as I have an M-die added to the rifle sets for cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    I've used a lot of Lee dies as well as some Lyman and RCBS.

I agree about the 'old' Lee FCD die for the .357. It is just another roll crimp die, IMHO.

But, they now have a collet type crimp die. As soon as I can find one I will buy it. The same type die works very well for rifles.

Sizing dies. If it is a carbide type then I'll use it. Don't really care which brand.

I use a Lee expander simply because I expand and charge powder on same station and the lee expander allows that. NOE has 'powder through' expander bushings shaped like the Lyman M if you are partial to that.

Lee seating die is nothing special. I'd pick a brand that is easy to clean if you are using lubed cast bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know if it's the BEST setup but in 1971 I bought a Ruger Blackhawk in 38 special/ 357 magnum and when I asked for reloading dies the shop owner gave me a set of RCBS marked 38 Special / 357 Magnum / SWC and I'm still using them with complete satisfaction . Steel sizing die does require lubrication but I don't mind that . Bought a Lee Carbide sizer but prefer the RCBS steel sizer .
    I have loaded both 38 special and 357 magnum with the RCBS ... a few years ago I did buy a used old Lyman AA Turret press at a flea market and it came with a set of Lyman All American dies in 38/357 ... I set the Turret Press up as a dedicated 357 Magnum reloader with dies adjusted and set .
    My other RCBS dies I keep set up for 38 Special .
    I don't have any problem with the Lyman AA Dies , the set has a carbide sizer and it does just fine ... better than the Lee Carbide sizer ... but I don't know if the new Lyman Dies are like (as good as ) the older Lyman All American dies .
    Just go with RCBS ... they should still be just fine !

The problem I have with the old Lee Carbide sizing die is it over sizes the cases down too much ... much too much for my needs ...it's like extra small base sizing die .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    What do you mean? You guys are really starting to make me wonder what I'm missing with $100+ Dillon dies.
    I like the how the dillon inserts swap. no need to readjust the die or remove it to swap from RN to FN etc. just pull a locking pin, swap the insert, and load on. Very easy to clean the dies without messing with the adjustments.
    I've been really surprised that in 9mm. Loading my RN and HAP/XTP can swap with no die adjustment. maybe I'm just lucky with 3 profiles that happen to work well together I guess.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    The 357 collet crimp die is good for full length brass.

I really want one designed for 38 special. Lee precision told me that it's not possible, that the collet fingers need to be a certain length to function.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You’ll pay through the nose but CH4D dies are the best one can use
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    For .38/.357 loading, I think I have about three die sets (Herters, CH, RCBS) plus extra dies for a total of somewhere around 11 or 12 dies. They have all been used at one time or another.

I don't load on a progressive press any more, the closest I come to that is when I load up the Lyman turret press, and then I just run it like a single stage with the other dies already set up for load development.

If I were to start all over I would buy a set of Lyman dies (mainly for the M-die) and a separate Redding Profile Crimp die.

My most used bullet seating die is a CH Speed Seater since most of my boolits are flat nosed.

The sizer is usually either the carbide CH or RCBS.

I do not like the Lee powder through expander die, it may make sense on the Lee progressive presses, but I have never liked them.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    If I were to start all over I would buy a set of Lyman dies (mainly for the M-die) and a separate Redding Profile Crimp die.

Robert
    That is exactly what I have read on other revolver sites. I think this is the route I'm going to try (for now).

Well I got the Lyman carbide dies on the way and a single Redding profile crimp die.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I've read that the RCBS cowboy die set is nothing more than their normal die set prettied up.
    Except they are tailored to accommodate Lead Bullets which tend to be larger than jacketed.

I like the RCBS Cowboy Carbide sizer and expander but use a Hornady seater.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Except they are tailored to accommodate Lead Bullets which tend to be larger than jacketed.

I like the RCBS Cowboy Carbide sizer and expander but use a Hornady seater.
    Mal, I have never checked, do you know if the carbide sizing die is larger in the cowboy set? The expander is. I have the set but haven’t loaded with it in a couple years.

Stopsign32v, I have the redding profile crimp die. It’s a fine idea, taper crimp then roll, but I don’t find it any better than a roll crimp die. The big advantage is that it is separate, making die setup a little easier. Dies are not magic, if you want the best ammo you need to sort your brass and trim to a consistent length. I’m not a good enough shot for it to matter.

Boolit Master

I use the RCBS 3 die carbide set that came in the gray box with the spacer.
    I roll crimp all my 38-357 rounds.

Boolit Master
    i started with Lyman steel dies now i use lee with carbide sizing die ,both work well .just use the seat/crimp die no need for an extra crimp die.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Mal, I have never checked, do you know if the carbide sizing die is larger in the cowboy set? The expander is. I have the set but haven’t loaded with it in a couple years.
    The sizer was supposed to be larger but it was still a couple thousandths smaller than I wanted so I lapped it with diamond. RCBS was probably correct with their original size but I wanted to reduce the sizing to where the expander just belled the case and only confirmed the inside diameter where the bullet sits. The idea was to reduce over working the cases. I was getting about 30 reloads out of the cases. I have at least 25 more loads on 3,000 cases to tell if it worked.

Pistol brass seems to have about .002" elastic deformation, where it snaps back. Beyond that is plastic deformation where it stays that size less the elastic deformation. Hope I said that right.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 09-21-2021 at 10:31 AM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have Lee, Lyman and RCBS - a variety of dies because 38/357 is the cartridge I load most. All have worked just fine for many years for my cast - I load both BP and smokeless. If I could only have one set, it would be my RCBS - they have both a RN and a flat nose seating stem - I use them on a single stage press for batch loading - I have my Lee and Lyman sets set up on different turret plates for my Lee 4 hole turret.

That said - I seat and crimp in two different operations - BUT - regardless of what brand I use, I use the Lee FCD - I use them on all of my pistol calibers. I have never had an issue with the Lee expanding/powder thru die and I use it on my turret press with an adapter to mount a Lyman 55 measure to drop the charges - works fine - when loading on a single stage, I use another Lyman 55 mounted in a stand to drop the charges.

Everyone has their own preferences - there is no "best". As far as the Lee dies go - I own a variety of sets - my 38/357 set has loaded thousands of good cast rounds for many years - and like a Timex - they just keep on working.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I have the money, REDDING.

RCBS offers 650 special order die sets and 350 case form sets in the special order catalog. RCBS offers more than 1,000 other calibers, reloading die sets and case form sets. http://www.huntingtons.com/store/home.php

Boolit Grand Master

The proprietary set in the SDB.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve got Dillon, Lee,& Rcbs dies in .357/.38 I prefer the Lee set (with the standard crimp die not the factory crimp) a lot. The Dillon set is almost as good for twice the price (their crimp die works really well on cast bullets without a crimp groove).
    RCBS dies are on the shelf and readily available normally and that’s about all that they have going for them.

Ok....you asked for it....38 Special is my all time favorite of mine with the 357 close behind. I use a number of dies for different purposes.
    I load nothing but cast bullets.

Sizing dies: 1956 RCBS FL sizing die (steel) for 38 Special and 1961 RCBS FL sizing die again steel.

Expanding dies: Lyman 310 expanders (with thread adapter) in .357 and .358. RCBS special long .3585 expander for HB wadcutters and a RCBS .356 expander I had modified on a lathe longer reach for solid base wadcutters.

Seating dies: Lyman seating die with RN seating plug and another that I have turned dead flat for use with a WC or SWC or any other bullet with a flat spot on the nose.

Crimping: A RCBS seating die with the seating plug removed. Another RCBS taper crimp die and for fun an old Belding and Mull hand seating die.

I have never found one set of dies that meet my needs.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast