Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the ultimate 38/357 die setup for cast boolits?

Boolit Master
    Thanks Mal!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Carbide for me

I wanted a RCBS set but couldn't find them anywhere in stock. So I settled for Lyman.
    I have used various brands of dies but for loading cast bullets in handgun/straight wall cases I actually prefer Lyman.

Boolit Master

I've read that the RCBS cowboy die set is nothing more than their normal die set prettied up.
    Yep

I have Lyman, RCBS, Redding, C-H dies. Even 2 sets of Lee I was gifted and a .32S&W that I bought.
    For Lead bullets in Handguns the Lyman M-Die Expander is the Best , Period. Just about any Good seat/crimp die will work for seating/crimping a Keith bullet.
    The Lee fcd is An Abomination. It will size down the seated bullet and make it rattle through the bore like a penny in a glass pickle jar.
    If ya wanna a Perfect roll crimp, get a Redding Profile Crimp Die.
    Just about any Taper Crimp die works OK, I like RCBS or Lyman the best.
    As far as sizing goes, Tungsten Carbide is good for speed and lack of mess.
    The Lee TC sizer die goes too far.
    I get a bit better accuracy from cases sized in a steel sizer. But only if ya wanna squeeze the last bit of accuracy out of a cartridge.

If I were to buy a new die set for Lead bullets,
    I'd start with Lyman.
    Last edited by Walks; 09-22-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    The proprietary set in the SDB.
    +1

The SDB just cranks out good ammo, with no drama.

Boolit Grand Master
    I realize this thread might not go anywhere since a lot of people think a set of dies are pretty much a set of dies. But I figured I'd make it anyways.

I'm looking for the "best" die setup for my 38/357 reloading. Right now I'm using the LEE dies and honestly cannot stand them. The expander die is utter trash and the factory crimp die is somewhat of an on/off switch. Time to graduate to better things...

So what is your opinion of the best setup?

Right now I have a set of Lyman Carbide 3 die setup on the way and I've read on the S&W forums that people seem to think the Redding profile crimp die is so good that it's worth ordering by itself...
    IMO, you are overthinking it. I certainly would not invest in the Redding crimp die unless I found an issue with the Lyman die...and that is very unlikely. I started with Lyman and the set I had worked well, but that was nearly 50 years ago.

I do not have Lee pistol dies so no experience if they are "trash" but if you got a bad set they will make it good.

Are you having accuracy or chambering issues that are causing you to invest in something better?
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I don't need anything special as far as dies for loading 357 magnum or any handgun caliber. My cast bullets are sized the same as jacketed for the caliber or maybe .001" larger. I have used RCBS and Dillon dies with success. I do use an "m type expander" purchased from member lathesmith. I like "easy".

Boolit Master
    My first 357M/38SPL die set had a Lyman carbide sizer. I didn’t like the fact that a carbide sizer reduces the whole length of the case above the solid case head. Creates weird looking wasp waisted finished cartridges.
    I have since discovered Redding Dual Ring Sizing dies and now use this type for 357M and another for 38 SPL. The dual rings size like solid steel sizing dies.
    Redding recommends case lube with these dual carbide ring dies, so knowing what I know now, I bought Redding old fashion solid steel sizing die sets for 45 Colt and 45 ACP. If I must lube the cases I may as well use the cheaper solid steel die sets. Lubing the case made sizing much easier in the carbide die sizer. I load on a single stage Lee Classic Cast press.
    So to answer the OP question I think the Redding Dual Ring Carbide sizer die with a micrometer head retrofitted to the Redding bullet seating die along with a LEE collet style Factory crimp die make a great eclectic die set. For some unknown reason the Redding crimp die always likes to shave off a hair thick ring of brass from the case mouth.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 09-29-2021 at 07:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    I generally purchase Redding dies, carbide if I can get them. They have been uniformly high quality, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set for a bottlenecked cartridge. I have never been that pleased with the crimp/seat die for 357mag though... the seating is wonderful now that I put a micrometer stem in there, but the crimp part seems to either do nothing or shave little hairlike lines of brass off of the case. Given the fact that 357mag brass seems to never wear out, that really bugs me.

I just picked up a Lee Collet Crimp die, and I don't think I will ever use the Redding die to crimp again. I don't usually worry about maxing out my production rate since I enjoy the single stage process, so eliminating frustration with a separate step is no big deal to me.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I have used the RCBS dies for many decades and have never had a problem with them. You can use your Lee dies to seat the bullets and the RCBS to crimp in a separate step.
    RCBS has always been good for me! And now their expander dies have an "M" style step for easier boolit seating.
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123