Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Spanish reformato.

Boolit Master

Spanish reformato.

I have both a carbine & long rifle in 43 SPANISH REFORMATO. I shoot 43 SPANISH in them and they fire form, almost a straight case. I load them with 27 GRS of IMR-4198, with a 45 CAL. LONG COLT bullet, thumbed pressed into the case on top of drier lint to keep the powder against the primer. so, in stead of using up my 43 cases, what case can I use to form them out of? the 43 SPANISH cases I make out of 348 WIN. after a lot of fileing on the drill press, till they chamber, then fire form them.

Boolit Master
    My conversion manual says to make them from regular 43 Spanish. That said, I see the Reformado rim is .015 thicker and the case head is a little bigger than the original Spanish round. That may have been intentional to keep people from shooting the newer round in the older rifle. The diameter of the case in front of the rim at .525 is the problem. Thinning cases in that area is fraught with danger as if you get it too thin in the wrong area you can get a cases separation. I looked at the more common cases that I could think of and have not found a good candidate. I'll think on it a bit more to see if I can come up with a better solution.

Perhaps someone here has a good solution.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Do you also have a regular .43 Spanish? If so, I can understand your reluctance to "use them up" in making the Reformado case, but if you don't have the regular .43 Spanish then what you're doing is the easiest way.

DG

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Buy a box of 20 from Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company and skip the reform hassle … they are lathe turned
    https://www.rockymountaincartridge.c...uct%20List.pdf
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Do you also have a regular .43 Spanish? If so, I can understand your reluctance to "use them up" in making the Reformado case, but if you don't have the regular .43 Spanish then what you're doing is the easiest way.

DG
    yes, I have 7 regular 43's both rifle & carbines. so I an reluctant to shoot them and fire form in my REFORMATOS both carbines & rifle's.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Buy a box of 20 from Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company and skip the reform hassle … they are lathe turned
    https://www.rockymountaincartridge.c...uct%20List.pdf
    at $ 94.00 for 20 of them, I don't think so! that is why this is a forum to make a case from a parent case, if possible. wait till you have to balance your social security, and a hobby & chose one.

Boolit Master
    can 45/70's be shot in a 43 SPANISH REFORMATO, as is with a 45/70 load with a .405 GR. bullet to fire form as a parent case? any one tried it? and will it work? I don't know if it has been tried in a regular 43 SPANISH GUN? any one?

Boolit Master
    If I had a 11 MM Spanish or Refermado and couldn't find any suitable brass or something for direct conversion I would take some 300 Win mag brass or similar and find a way to push the shoulder back or cut a case so that the breech block would just close on the case, prime it load about 10 to 12 grains of Bullseye fill with cornmeal and a wax wad and fire form the case. I would then trim to the proper length and load with black powder and seat a proper diameter bullet so that the bullet engaged the rifling to keep the case from being driven in and try it. You would have to pry the cases out or use a rod to knock it out but I believe it would work well enough to at least shoot the gun. There is a way to swage a rim on rimless cases but it requires special dies to do so. I was going to make a set of dies but found the 11 Mauser cases I needed so gave up on that idea.

Just my $0.02 worth. On second thought it may not be worth that much.

Boolit Master
    thank's for the thought. I figured that mabey some one may have tried shooting 45/70's as loaded, of course with lead & BP. in the REFORMATOES? any one got a thought on it?

Boolit Master
    If I were going to try 45-70's in any Spanish rolling block I would wrap a layer of aluminum tape around the case in front of the base to keep the swelling down as much as possible. Many years ago a kid I knew got a rolling block that he was told was 45-70. Of course it wasn't. I don't know what caliber it was but most likely an 11 MM of some sort. When he fired a factory 45-70 in it it swelled up to the point that it was a wonder it didn't split. A better solution than tape would be a piece of brass tubing of the correct ID, OD and length slid down to the base of the case. I'm not sure if tubing of the correct dimensions exists. Depending on the groove to groove diameter a .457 - .460 bullet may be a very tight fit.

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Arms has Reformato brass in stock that has been converted from 50-110. The 50-110 brass is much cheaper, but of course it is out of stock.

Boolit Master
    ain't that always the case?