RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Looking for 458 Win Mag load data

Looking for 458 Win Mag load data

My Google-Fu isn't working, can't seem to come up with a search string that doesn't get either no hits or a stupid huge number of hits.

Looking for load data for the 458, have a couple of molds, Lyman 457122, an Accurate clone sans hollow point but with a gas check and a NOE silly heavy boolit @ 480+ grains both with and without gas check and hollow point.

Dug through my manuals, found some data for the heavy end of the boolit weight nothing for the 330 grain Lyman. Went to load data, couldn't find much there, at least not as much as I expected.

In one of the listings from LoadData, there was a comment that any 45-70 data would work. Problem is that was from a Handloader article from issue #28.

Is that still valid advice? Handloader #28 was back a fair piece and some of the generic recommendations from back then are looked at now as a bit sketchy.

I would think it would still be valid, just want to check before I find out that advise only worked in certain phases of the moon.

Especially being within 24 hours of a full moon. And a Barley moon at that.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a Ruger #1 in 458 and use the same data as my 45-70's. Most of my loads were 350gr at 1700 fps and 405gr at 1400 or thereabouts. I keep some factory 510 gr ammo just for visitors who can handle anything.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Banned

The Lyman Cast Bullet handbook from the early 70s I keep on the desk has data all the way down to Lyman's 457191, nominally 292 grains. What powder are you planning to use?

I would think that any .45-70 data would be safe in a .458, you may not get the same velocities due to the bigger case capacity.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    I've got a Ruger #1 in 458 and use the same data as my 45-70's. Most of my loads were 350gr at 1700 fps and 405gr at 1400 or thereabouts. I keep some factory 510 gr ammo just for visitors who can handle anything.
    The factory ammo is also good for destroying an engine block.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The Lyman Cast Bullet handbook from the early 70s I keep on the desk has data all the way down to Lyman's 457191, nominally 292 grains. What powder are you planning to use?

I would think that any .45-70 data would be safe in a .458, you may not get the same velocities due to the bigger case capacity.
    I've got the usual suspects, Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, Unique, 2400, 4227, 4198, SR 4759, H/I-4895, Trailboss, 5744, Bullseye, Clay's, RL-15 plus a couple more for cast loads.

Intent is light plinking loads. Not sure if I'll go as low as some of the 45-70 loads I've done in the past. Went down to 4.4 grains of Clay's under the Lyman 457122. That was a hoot to shoot, @200 yards you had to aim 10-12 feet above the dinger.

Now it's just waiting on the dies to arrive. Bought off here, hope to see them end of the week.

Moderator Emeritus

I recently loaded a few "test" cartridges for a friend's recently acquired Ruger M77. My buddy wanted a 500gr boolit, but the heaviest boolit I have is NOE's Lyman clone of the 457483 (393gr RN), so that's what I used for these 458WM. He wanted a middle of the road charge, as that's what I told him would be best for just testing the rifle out. So I choose IMR3031. I found some data in Lyman's CBHB#4 for 45-70. So I choose a load that'd deliver about 1900fps in the 45-70 cartridge, figuring that'd be plenty safe in a 458 cartridge...60gr, is what I believe I used. When we tested them, it was too dark to chrono, I wish I could have gotten a chrono reading.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I've got the usual suspects, Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, Unique, 2400, 4227, 4198, SR 4759, H/I-4895, Trailboss, 5744, Bullseye, Clay's, RL-15 plus a couple more for cast loads.

Intent is light plinking loads. Not sure if I'll go as low as some of the 45-70 loads I've done in the past. Went down to 4.4 grains of Clay's under the Lyman 457122. That was a hoot to shoot, @200 yards you had to aim 10-12 feet above the dinger.

Now it's just waiting on the dies to arrive. Bought off here, hope to see them end of the week.
    Seems 19 grains of Unique is a good start point with most bullets.

This is gonna sound weird, but I've been shooting AA8100 in mine. Dad had a bunch of it he got when it was dirt cheap in the '80s. Too slow burning for much of anything, but he told me it shot well in .45-70. He did it with a kicker charge and I have tried that, but have found best accuracy with the Lyman 500 grain RN, slightly compressed load, magnum primer and pretty heavy crimp. I get a few kernels of unburnt powder, but not much. Accuracy is pretty good and between the lubed bullets and inefficient propellant, the smoke signature is quite impressive.

I need to get back to that rifle, haven't shot it in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I recently loaded a few "test" cartridges for a friend's recently acquired Ruger M77. My buddy wanted a 500gr boolit, but the heaviest boolit I have is NOE's Lyman clone of the 457483 (393gr RN), so that's what I used for these 458WM. He wanted a middle of the road charge, as that's what I told him would be best for just testing the rifle out. So I choose IMR3031. I found some data in Lyman's CBHB#4 for 45-70. So I choose a load that'd deliver about 1900fps in the 45-70 cartridge, figuring that'd be plenty safe in a 458 cartridge...60gr, is what I believe I used. When we tested them, it was too dark to chrono, I wish I could have gotten a chrono reading.
    I'll have to log this one in case my buddy decides he need to kill something with the rifle. He's kind of settled on using unique rifles on his hunts.

This spring it was a Tennessee hog hunt with a very nice English double in 303 British. Was going to be a double in 8x50R but we couldn't get reliable ignition, the brass we were using had out of specification primer pockets that were too deep.

Next week it's an elk hunt with an original Rigby in 300 H&H we got shooting very close to an inch at 100 yards.

For deer season in November he's planning on using a vintage rifle in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. That one we are still fooling with. Haven't had as much success as I'd like, it's running group size about double a noted gun writer got when he owned this rifle and wrote an article for a major gun magazine. His load, plus ladder loads using the exact same components (although new mfg). Certainly good enough to kill any deer that wanders in front of him, just not the same as the magazine article. Bummer, if the dead dude could do it I should be able to

I hope these are legible. A .458 would be fun, the 45-70s and .450 Marlin were when I had them.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I hope these are legible. A .458 would be fun, the 45-70s and .450 Marlin were when I had them.

Thanks, I've got the top Lyman manual, don't recognize the bottom manual. Just surprised how little Lyman 457122 data for the 458 I've found. I would have thought that would have been a popular boolit to load.

There is a bunch of data for the 45-70 using the 457122, guess that's what I'll be using.

It's the Lyman Cast bullet handbook. I'm sorry for the bad pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It's the Lyman Cast bullet handbook. I'm sorry for the bad pics.

I've got one of those too, I'll have to dig it out and take a look.

Boolit Master
    Black powder. Full case.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Black powder. Full case.
    Maybe not in an very nice English gunsmithed Mark X. Chances of rust creeping into that one little crevice you didn't get spotlessly clean and re-oiled is higher than what I want to deal with.

But the smoke cloud would be cool. It would certainly get the boys on the range talking