MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Tin

Boolit Buddy

Tin

I have never used the modern lead free solder. I see it is mainly tin, but has copper in it as. Well. Can I use this solder to add a little tin to my lead, or is there something in it to make it unsuitable.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, you can use it. The odd 5% of other stuff won't hurt anything.

Boolit Master
    I've used it. no problems, way I look at it if there is a bit of copper, good, it might just add a little hardness to the mix

Boolit Master

as lightman said the amount of other (copper or whatever) is so diluted as to be closer to non-existent. Assuming 5% copper in your tin solder is mixed at a rate of 2% with the 98% of your lead alloy, the percent of copper would be something like .1% of your total alloy or another way, 99.9% alloy plus 0.1% copper. (I think...?)

Pretty sure my math isn't accurate, but it's close enough to help visualize it don't matter at all. Anyone with basic math skills want to check my math?
    Last edited by oley55; 09-19-2021 at 07:34 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

Thank you, fellas. That’s what I needed to know.

Boolit Master
    I have an old roll of 95/5 solder where the non tin 5% is antimony, though I think the copper versions are newer and more common.

Lots of casters get their tin from pewter, which often contains copper at a 1-2% concentration. No effects on alloy characteristics that I know of other than the aforementioned minor increase in alloy toughness.

So the only downsides I know to using lead free solder as a tin source are that some contain acid or rosin fluxes that have to be dealt with, and that it's hideously expensive if bought retail.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    5% Cu adds a bit of "toughness" to your melt....does not hurt at all. There are much cheaper sources of Sn that lead-free solder. But if that is all you can find, go for it. Just make sure it is not acid core!

95/5 was my 'go to' source for Tin in the old days when a 1lb. roll of it was $6. at Home Depot
    and my Plumber buddies would give me several partial rolls that were dirty from floating around in their truck tool boxes.

Now days, the same roll is around $30-35. and the Plumbers seem to be somewhat more 'conservative' with it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Have found 95/5 at flea markets twice in the last 6 months. $1.00 a pound or less.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.