RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caught a 21 pound freshwater Drum…recipes???

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Just made the last batch of it. Tried a piece batterfried but it was to chewy. I took the rest and boiled like the 1st 2 batches. I then cut it up and put it aside. I took some beef broth, a stick of butter, sour cream, almond flour, steak and BBQ seasoning, and 2 packets of equal all to a boil. I added half of a chopped up onion, some winter gold squash I already had cooked up, and some peas to it and brought it to a simmer, added the fish, and called it chowder. It tastes great!...and the peas were the only thing has countable carbs so my bowl was a little light on them.

The fish has agreat texture still. It's like chewing little bites of tender steak.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-21-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Smaller drum have a better texture, not as "meaty". Same thing for flathead catfish, over 15 pounds and they tend to be really firm in texture...I prefer 5 pounds for eating either of them.

I eat carp too in spring, it is a really mild fish when under 4 pounds(2 pounders are better). Baked and cooled then pull the meat off the bones. Use the meat like canned tuna. Taste is similar as far as fishy flavor. I also smoke at least a dozen that size, divide into serving size amounts, vac bag and freeze. Great for smacking, making smoked fish dip...

I just ran out of the size 2 owner light Mutu circle hooks. They are as hard to find as ammo apparently. I just ordered an 8 pack of red colored ones off ebay. Hopefully I'll catch a few more fish it gets to cold a d bite turns off.

Just warmed up some of my chowder and melted cheese on top for lunch. Tastes better with age!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-22-2021 at 03:37 PM.

IMO the water the carp are taken from is a factor of how "good" they taste! I have tried some in North Texas that you would have to have someone telling you to eat that carp or I will hit you with this big club. Then decide whether to eat the fish or get clubbed. lol

Boolit Buddy
    Basted with butter and spices on a cedar plank - Throw away the carp - eat the plank.

Boolit Buddy
    Mince garlic put in sause pan, saute garlic for about 3 minutes. Take fillets out of refrigerator put butter over cold fish. Return to fridge for 4 to 6 hours. Barbecue on a fish screen at medium heat until done.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    IMO the water the carp are taken from is a factor of how "good" they taste! I have tried some in North Texas that you would have to have someone telling you to eat that carp or I will hit you with this big club. Then decide whether to eat the fish or get clubbed. lol
    I only catch them for eating in the spring when the water is cold and cleaner. And NEVER eat the big ones, to much mercury/PCB's!

The cold snap has seemed to shut fishing down the last couple days. I did catch a 15”, 1.5 pound perch on a shrimp though! It got filleted and pan fried about an hour after I landed it. The thing looked like a football with stripes!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    The cold snap has seemed to shut fishing down the last couple days. I did catch a 15”, 1.5 pound perch on a shrimp though! It got filleted and pan fried about an hour after I landed it. The thing looked like a football with stripes!
    BIG perch! They are tasty eating. 9-12 inch are common here for keepers. I filet them, simple S&P and flour breading and pan fry. Pile on a bun with tarter sauce for the best fish sandwich you will ever eat.

I just ran out of the size 2 owner light Mutu circle hooks.
    I've had really good luck with these made up with 40-50 pound test monofilament line on a regular hook.
    Where the free end of the lines goes out through the hook, make a 12 inch or so leader with it.
    Then, pull a 'boilie ball' onto the 'hair' with a bait needle.

There's a youtube channel called 'Catfish and Carp' that's really good.
    Also search 'boilie balls' on youtube for recipes for them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Here’s the perch…

Moderator Emeritus

^^^^I caught my first bullhead in about 40 years on shrimp this year and over a dozen catfish. I just ran out of the bag of shrimp he gave me. I have not found unpeeled or non veined shrimp at my local grocery stores. The hard outer plates hold them on the hook. I've wasted 2 bags of peeled and easy peel that have been de veined. They come right off the hook when something nibbles on them...usually small turtles.
    I buy a bag of frozen, uncooked shrimp at Walmart in the frozen section. It usually gets me through 2 years ice fishing. I cut each shrimp in 4-5 pieces and make sure I have a shell on each one. The tails could get tossed as they are the least often bit.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Caught a nice catfish tonight. Then a dogfish. The sun went down and bite shut off accept for the mosquitoes. Fish are jumping everywhere right now but no bites. Might have to grab some dinner and then throw a buzzer.

Moderator Emeritus

Right at sundown toss a nice artificial minnow imitation. Last night I tossed my old rapala silver and black 4 inch minnow(has a zillion teeth marks in it!) right next to the dock at the local lake. Ended up putting a limit of walleye in the freezer. This time of year the walleye are in shallow feeding to fatten up for winter. Just over 10 pounds of fillets! Will go again later this week, I can have 2 limits in possession. May go a few more times to just have fun.

Boolit Master

Try this:

Take fish pat dry and season (dust all sides) with S&P & Garlic Powder. Butter a glass baking dish, place fillets inside. Add 1/4" butter pieces every few inches of every fillet.
    Chop and add a goodly portion if parsley preferably fresh.

Chop a good sized onion into a pan adding a few pats of butter, s&P to taste. Fry just enough to start softening. Place over fish in baking dish.

Now slice a fresh tomato place slices down length of each fillet.

Lastly drizzle with EVOO & bake for 15/20 @ 350 and enjoy.

Scrumptious. You can sub your fav seasoning with initial fillet seasoning but Garlic is welcomed.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    If you ever get the chance, try Asian carp. There are Youtube videos showing how to prep them. They are good.
    I take a 6 pack cooler down to the river and whack the filets off right there on the bank. Then I finish working on the fillets in the comfort of my kitchen.
    Last edited by Charlie Horse; 01-01-2022 at 09:07 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    If you ever get the chance, try Asian carp. There are Youtube videos showing how to prep them. They are good.
    I take a 6 pack cooler down to the river and whack the filets off right there on the bank. Then I finish working on the fillets in the comfort of my kitchen.
    I have never cleaned and cooked them myself but I have eaten them and they are quite good! They handed some out for free at the Illinois State Fair a few years back in their Conservation World area. Trying to encourage folks to catch and eat the invasive critters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    How are you catching them? I've eaten them, and they are quite good. We where snagging them in a spillway.

Boolit Buddy
    Carp are really good when pressure canned. Small ones like 2 to 4 # skinned gutted and cut in 1" slices vertical to the whole fish. pack into pint jars and add enough water to reach your 1/4" headspace and add 1/4 tsp salt or to your liking. Pressure can as recommended for fish. Makes better salmon patties than salmon!

Man, I saw my old post pop up here. lol. I’ve gone to Lake Michigan the last two years and fishing offshore I can catch 10 to 12 pound sheepshead…aka freshwater drum… nonstop. I broke a St. Croix fishing rod and two spinning rails last year horsing them in. lol. Thank God they were all covered under warranty. Anyways, if I went down to shore on the days, we weren’t going out salmon fishing within 45 minutes I would have 15 to 20 if not more 10 to 12 pounds. My buddies thought I was nuts this past summer when I saved 13 of them the first night and filleted them. I used shore, lunch, beer, batter, and PBR in my fryer and had a cookout the second night we were there after I caught 15 more and added it to the pile.lol. All giant fillets! lol. I have to say they taste a million times better out of Lake Michigan out of the clear water! I got to the point filling them during the week of just saving the back straps. All the pelicans and seagulls knew my name because I sat on the shore cleaning them, and they all flocked over nonstop to eat what I didn’t take. I sent home tons of frozen fillets with everybody. I had everyone try them a couple different ways. They thought the shore lunch beer batter was the best. I pan fried some I made them boiled like I did with the first one in this post as well. There were no complaints except for a batch. I did later in the week with somebody’s dirty, skunky, offbrand beer. lol

I see people and posted about carp. I sure would like to try an Asian carp. There were a few jumping here in the backyard a couple years ago and I haven’t seen them since. One also floated by dead a few years ago. I can tell you freshwater buffalo is phenomenal! I batter fried that white meat in it as good as any other quality freshwater fish fillet. I didn’t run into any last year carp shooting just dirty grass carp that I smoked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast