Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Svarog Slugs...

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for that. Perhaps I will swap the pins to the long ones, cast some more, and try that. Would the brush wads be better than cutting the petals off the 12SO wads I have and screwing those on? The brush wads dont come with pilot holes do they.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure how well the Paradox slug will screw to a brush wad due to the long HB cavity but they offer the pin so it should work.

No the brush wads don't have a pilot hole. IIRC Blood Trail posted that he puts the wad and slug in a hull then drills through the slug so the wad is drilled on center. You should use a drill press, not a hand drill unless you make a jig to align the slug and wad exactly.

If you look back at Petander's post #68 you can see the brush wads he has used.

I have not used the 12SO wads before so not sure if they have a beefy enough cushion leg to avoid distortion at firing. I have tried cutting the petals off other trap wads with no success. The cushion legs were just not robust enough to return to reasonable shape and alignment after leaving the bore. Recovered slugs had distorted cushion legs. If you look at the brush wads and the proprietary wads they look like a Gualandi style cushion leg used on their DGS slugs. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try cutting petals off your 12SO wads then screwing the 12SO wads onto the slug. All it will cost is a bit of time and burning some powder and primers. If it works, great! If not then not much lost.

Another concern is that with the HB Paradox slug the wad may try to push into the HB cavity. The Zveroboy and similar slugs have solid flat bases. I'd be inclined to put the screw throiugh then center it and fill the cavity with hot melt glue or other filler to make sure the top deck of the wad can't get into the cavity. Some trap wads will jam into Lee Drive Key slug cavities so with a big open HB cavity that could be a problem.

The proprietary wads work well but the main reason I don't like them is that they are proprietary so only available from Svarog or AS-Molds. That's just me.

I was given some Paradox slugs with the proprietary wads and they shot not badly but no better than some of my Foster style slugs with no attached wad. That is from smoothbore.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    It is a big cavity, I was thinking glue filling as I fill the Lyman slug already. I will try a couple and see. If no good I will order some brush wads. They are pretty short so will give me a chance to cut down some old hulls and make some short shells with the brush wad on the powder. Try fold and Roll crimps. I only have Unique, WSF, and our AP70 powders to work with.
    Thanks again for the info.
    Keith

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure if the Paradox slug is enough weight forward to drag stabilize without an attached wad. They have a fairly thick skirt but I haven't checked balance point with a bare slug.

You might try glue filling and cutting off flat then drill and put the screw through the brush wad.

Longbow

Boolit Master

I have a Saverog mold. I haven't cast it in a while. Getting the slug completely attached to its wad is difficult.

I like the AS molds a bit better these screw to there molds. I posted a couple Videos today.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I last bought a heap of stuff from BPI 2 years ago. Just tries to log in to get some Brush Wads and my Password would not work. Sent them a message to ask what was the problem and got a reply saying that "In light of conversations with our international couriers we have halted all International sales"
    Why do they need Couriers?. Cant it just be sent by post.
    So , thats that.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can't buy from BPI then maybe try a European outfit like SIARM:

http://www.siarm.com/index.php?cPath=2_24_31

The "BPI" wads are Gualandi wads so should be available from other outfits and European vendors:

http://www.gualandi.it/en/products_p...allettoni.html

I'd be surporised if there isn't a Gualandi dealer downunder!

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. Good idea. I googled it and found a dealer that sells Gualandi wads. so sent a message asking if he has the BRP 20.
    See what happens.
    Keith

Boolit Buddy

Seating Wads to Slugs

I have the white wads and like others cant get some to go all the way on. The Reloaders Network has a jig that presses them together. I messaged asking if I can buy one but no reply. So I spent an hour this morning making my own.
    One bit of aluminium tube for the outside holder, another to cut and split for the bracing for the wad. I had a compression die I made years ago and screwed that into the press. It goes into the wad cup and the nose of the slug sits on the bit of steel plate that sits on the shell holder.
    A fair bit of force is required but it seats the wad all the way into the slug. Some photos I have see have a small gap between the end band of the slug and flat portion of the wad. This eliminates that. Bit basic but it works.

IMG_2813 by Keith Cree, on Flickr

IMG_2814 by Keith Cree, on Flickr

IMG_2815 by Keith Cree, on Flickr

IMG_2816 by Keith Cree, on Flickr

Boolit Buddy
    I tried it without the outer sleeve. Just make the two half circle bits a good fit and hold them with your left hand while pulling the lever with the other. Seats them just as well.

Boolit Master

I cast some up the other day.

https://rumble.com/v2ntv28-the-savrog-slug.html
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    GONRA's not sure wots goin' on here, but maybe a small HOSE CLAMP would help? ??

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I have a Saverog mold. I haven't cast it in a while. Getting the slug completely attached to its wad is difficult.

I like the AS molds a bit better these screw to there molds. I posted a couple Videos today.
    The newer Sharon slugs are beveled at the base to fit perfectly in flex seals or brush wads.

BTW, flex seals work great. Most accurate wad you can attach to these Russian slugs, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345