Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Svarog Slugs...

Boolit Man
    12 gauge card under the 12 gauge wad (between powder and plastic wad).

Boolit Grand Master

Okay... I would have thought that would damage the lips of the gas seal.

Ajay used to recommend an over powder card wad under the plastic wad too but I am pretty sure he went with a small gauge so it fit inside the gas seal.

Anyway, good info and something I will have to try. I have had some wads that showed gas seal failure so that over powder wad may solve it.

Thanks.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Oh I forgot:

On the video, he is whacking that mold so much ...

There's no need for that. After cutting the sprue, you can turn the slug loose by hand turning the pin, then put the slug/pin combo in the other (pin removal) position and again, no need for whacking & banging around. Just remove the pin.

Then open the mold and the slug falls out.

I always use a clean mold, no release agents whatsoever.
    I could never release the slug by hand turning without damaging the slug or it just not coming out at all.

I’d love to see how you do it if it’s easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s another video that may show it a little better (for those who have Facebook):

https://www.facebook.com/leon.guthri...8716278539966/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Fills better with a full pot, more pouring pressure.

Still some bad ones. But many good one,too.

Boolit Grand Master

Those look very nice to me! Plus the blue PC looks good and seems to suit slugs.

Now we need to see a range report with pics of destroyed ballistic gelatin, wet phone books or newspaper, or whatever you've got!

I guess an accuracy report would be good too... you have to be able to hit it to destroy it!

Longbow

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

Ah yes! I hadn't even noticed. The blue ones have a little of that too now that II look harder. That small band looks like it is a problem to fill out.

Assuming the mould is good and clean I'd say more heat in both mould and lead and especially the core pin should help. Core pins are hard to keep hot unless you can cast quickly and steadily. At least for moulds I have though none are quite like this. I pre-heat my moulds until the sprue plate lube just starts to smoke and the core pin has to be pre-heated as well.

Not sure how fast your pot squirts lead out but that is one of the reasons I went back to ladle pouring for large slugs and boolits... I couldn't get the lead in the mould fast enough for good fillout using my Lee pot. My ladle holds about a pound of lead and I can pour it as fast as it will go through the sprue hole. That worked for me.

Is the mould well vented? Seems to me from pics I've seen they are so not likely a venting issue but worth checking that vent grooves are clear.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I might try ladle one day, it"s been a while.

I have maxed out the volume from Pro Melt, it works best when the mold is touching the valve. Pot full. Max heat.

But of course this is no Mihec, gotta accept the fact. I'm spoiled withe Micec, NOE etc...

Anyway, the reject rate is acceptable now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post

Anyway, the reject rate is acceptable now.
    I have to disagree with myself after all.

I took a look at my 12 gauge "Zveroboy" slugs from a couple of years back and they are perfect. This 20 Zveroboy is my fifth Svarog mold, there has been no problems before.

Too many rejects.

Boolit Master
    An update:

This mold just needed the longest break-in ever. I'm getting good fillout now, after some 15 casting sessions. I did the preheat cycles too and good cleaning. That grease really sticks.

But anyway, it's working now.

Petander: what is teh diameter of the driving bands on your 21 ga Slugs? before and after PC?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Petander: what is teh diameter of the driving bands on your 21 ga Slugs? before and after PC?

Randy
    As cast the front band is .629" and the two rear bands are .620. PC:d front band is .633 with Smoke's Carolina Blue. Pink gives me .631".

I have not loaded any yet, I may be getting suitable wads from Siarm one day. They are on their way.My friend is working on these and a rifled barrel 870. Size looks right.

But this particular Svarog is for smoothbore really, we have the AS version ordered , it has wider bands.

My alloy is bullet alloy here, I only have one pot (why ?) and I didn't bother to change to pure for these. Not yet. Only 870 and cyl / IC maybe. Must check the feel. These can not be pushed through any of my older double gun 1/2 chokes. Not to mention full.

But this mold really made a record breaking in time. Now it is good.

Last edited by Petander; 10-31-2021 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Add pic

How about OD of the 12 ga slugs? "21" was a typo.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    How about OD of the 12 ga slugs? "21" was a typo.

Randy
    Oh I thought you mean the 20 gauge Zveroboys I have in this thread.

My fullbore 12s are generally .729-730, I only have one 12 gauge, a cylinder Benelli M3. 18" rifle sights. Why do you ask?

This is one of the few slugs I am interested in. It is pretty obvious that it would make a mess out of whatever it hits. And there in lies my interest. I have Lee slugs, Mihec/Lyman, Round /Balls and some Russian Paradox slugs yet to be loaded. I also have the STI Sabot Slug with both lead and brass inserts which has proven to be the most accurate one out there.

If these were accurate in a rifled barrel I could use them as Defensive Loads. or for Classes.

Randy

Boolit Master
    I see. Someone here must shoot Zveroboy in a rifled 12...?

AS molds have a wider belted version,too, the ,"sh-sh"... ,(some names!) It's not exactly the same as Svarog Zveroboy.

I ordered AS Grizzly ( 20 gauge ) for my friend's rifled barrel because of its wide belts.

So many choices...

Oh: I get decent accuracy with my "economy RB:s" in my 20 gauge ,870. My friend's similar 870 hates that load... often the only way to know is to try.

Boolit Grand Master

Randy:

Check with BT, he has said good things about the Twister slug which is similar but seemingly "The most lethal model of our slug molds!" is stated on AS-Molds site. There are 3 or 4 slugs of similar design:

- SH-SH (same as Zveroboy I think)
    - Grizzly shock
    - Twister
    - Botfly

Now I am thinking BT said good things about the Botfly slug... or maybe Botfly and Twister... I'm confused! In any case these are all pretty similar design so if fit to bore is good and they all screw onto brush wads I'd figure they would all be similar accuracy.

Looks like the Botfly is the lightest of the bunch.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Let me add to the confusion:

Amongst other little differences,AS slugs SH-SH and Twister have two bands while Zveroboy has three.

My Zveroboys here,got two pins.

Boolit Grand Master

Right you are! I hadn't noticed that detail but then I haven't really looked at the Zveroboy slug much.

I had originally thought AS and Svarog were the same moulds sold through different vendors but apparently not. They just have similar slug designs.

Does anyone know why there has been so much interest in slug designs and slug mould production in Russia?

Longbow

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast