WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Pulling GC boolits

Boolit Man

Pulling GC boolits

Any advice on how to pull a loaded cartridge that is using a GC boolit? My impact puller leaves the GC stuck in the case and no amount of strikes knock it free.

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    You usually need to poke the gas check turning it sideways so you can either grab it with a needle nose pliers or slip a piece of wire with a U shape bent on the end in the case to pull out the gas check . I hate doing it .

Boolit Man
    Awesome. Good advice, thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    I've tried that but too often end up pushing the gc into the case and then the brass is lost along with the primer (powder is saved). I usually just shoot the gc out. Lose the primer and powder but save the brass. Even overcharges are ok to shoot with a 5 grain gc over it. They make a pop that is quiet enough to shoot in the yard.

Boolit Master
    My experience with .30 cal. cartridges is that I have about a 50/50 chance that the GC will come out with the boolit when pulled. Of the stuck GC's I estimate that 90% get pushed down into the case with the powder. After dumping the powder I've had a 100% sucess rate of inverting the case and grabbing the edge of the GC where it has fallen to the base of the cartridge neck with a set of thin needle nose pliars. Having said that, I can see where that might be a tough propositon with a .22 cal. cartridge.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

You can also expand the neck to the next size and it will fall out. I have also use a crochet hook to get them out.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the needle nose pliairs ... if you have access to surgical locking foreceps , you can find some that have a thin small "grabbing " end that can get a hold to and then be clamped/ locked on and then pull the check out .
    I bet nowdays such foreceps could be ordered on line ... my wife worked for a Vet and they operated on animals ... so I asked the Dr. to get me a couple sets for such stuff and he did .
    They work great for holding small and thin stuff .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I have a hemostat that works well at reaching into the case to grab a loose gas check when it is necessary.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    You usually need to poke the gas check turning it sideways so you can either grab it with a needle nose pliers or slip a piece of wire with a U shape bent on the end in the case to pull out the gas check . I hate doing it .
    Paper clip spread open. Turn the case upside down, insert hook, pull and turn. Easy.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

Pushing them in is best if the case doesn’t have a compressed load. If the load is compressed, even tipping them can be a chore.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I have a hemostat that works well at reaching into the case to grab a loose gas check when it is necessary.

^THIS^

jd

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Put a plug of cotton in the case and shoot the GC out …
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I've found this to work quite well for those pesky gas checks.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

I use small forceps to fish out the Gas check.

I've got some long tweezers I use. Same as pretty much everyone else, I tip it over and pull it out with the tweezers. It is a pain, but so is everything else about pulling boolits...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Pavia, do you size the Boolits after or perhaps during installing the gas checks. I haven’t pulled that many, but my gas checks have come out with the Boolits. They are usually crimped PCed boolits and maybe they get a better grip. Perhaps it’s because I’m not seating boolits that tight. Otherwise, turning them and grabbing them with needle nose pliers sounds best. Shooting them out should work to, but you are giving up your powder and primer.

This works for me, I've got a piece of baling wire bent just to pull on gas checks. I've gone down as far as 6.5 and had it work, although the 6.5 took a little finagling to get it to work.