Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milsurp that just won't shoot cast

Alloy (and any hardness treatment) should match the chamber pressure of your load.
    Velocity matters, for stabilization and lubrication.
    Your load makes a ton of difference.
    Bullet diameter is often best with body one-thousandths over groove diameter and nose close to bore diameter (especially important with a long nose in a bore-riding bullet).

And you don't tell us much about these important characteristics. So, every thing here is really a wild guess.

A moderately fast rifle powder with a hardened wheel weight bullet (16-20 Brinnell hardness) that is heavy for caliber (compared to jacketed) loaded to around 1900 FPS is where I start with most of my mil-surps, including 1903 Springfield and several 8mm Mauser 98 designs.

good luck, garrisonjoe
    Last edited by garrisonjoe; 10-01-2021 at 05:25 PM.

And sometimes blowing a lot unburned ball powder out on the ground is just the thing to whoosh those wheel weights like Clark Kent flying out of a phone booth.

Boolit Grand Master

Three things that I look for right off the bat .
    1.) Barrel must be smooth , not pitted , not rough and not dark .
    2.) All the metal fouling must be removed ... all of it , the old cupro-nickle jacket fouling is the worst .
    If you have too ... lap the barrel untill it is smooth and clean .
    3.) The Crown ... usually every old military rifle could stand a re-crowning , they may be lop sided and or have dings that ruin accuracy . Check the first inch of rifling ... if worn from cleaning from the muzzle , consider cutting the barrel back two inches .

I have a model 95 (or 96) 7 x 57 Spanish Mauser that I lapped the sewer pipe barrel , cut the old barrel back to 20 inches , had it re-crowned and new Williams open sporter sights mounted ... that turned it into a decent shooter ... not the best with cast boolits but good enough to take Hogs and Deer and would shoot old 175 grain RN Remington factory ammo surprisingly well .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Three things that I look for right off the bat .
    1.) Barrel must be smooth , not pitted , not rough and not dark .
    2.) All the metal fouling must be removed ... all of it , the old cupro-nickle jacket fouling is the worst .
    If you have too ... lap the barrel untill it is smooth and clean .
    3.) The Crown ... usually every old military rifle could stand a re-crowning , they may be lop sided and or have dings that ruin accuracy . Check the first inch of rifling ... if worn from cleaning from the muzzle , consider cutting the barrel back two inches .

I have a model 95 (or 96) 7 x 57 Spanish Mauser that I lapped the sewer pipe barrel , cut the old barrel back to 20 inches , had it re-crowned and new Williams open sporter sights mounted ... that turned it into a decent shooter ... not the best with cast boolits but good enough to take Hogs and Deer and would shoot old 175 grain RN Remington factory ammo surprisingly well .
    Gary
    Funny think about point #1 on your list is that I have a few rifles with dark bores and they still shoot cast great.

Boolit Master
    Some shoot cast bullets great right from the start.Then there's one that needs a larger diameter bullet or a longer or shorter seating depth.

Experiment and keep a little record of what you try.
    I wish you success!
    Try everything .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12