WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Go Pro video

Boolit Master

Go Pro video

does anyone use a go pro camera? my nephew makes camping and hiking videos and reviews outdoors stuff and puts it up on youtube and
    he says I should get a go pro 7 black and make videos of some of the stuff I do, he seems to think some of the stuff I do is some pretty cool stuff. well I'm not so sure if anything I ever do is cool or would even be interesting to others. there seem to be endless videos by "experts", whatever that might be, on youtube about reloading and shooting and hunting and everything in between. Now I did happen to see a couple videos by this guy named Paul Harrel And thought they looked pretty simple and he seemed to know what he was talking about.
    but anyway got to thinking maybe It might be fun to get one of those cameras.
    He says that if enough people watch your video they send you money. Hey, I would not mind having more money. I can put up a tent out back in the forest, make a fire, shoot a groundhog or rabbit, squirrel or something, clean it and cook it on the fire maybe just as good as any of those others that have million plus views. LOL, just thinking out loud here
    First I guess I would have to get one of those cameras and learn how to use. If its too technical I just might have problems.

Boolit Master
    I bought the Go Pro 9, back in the spring. I use it with a handlebar mount on my motorcycle. Also for still pictures in the field, and train watching videos. It took awhile to figure it out. I’m going camping next week, and it’s already in the camper. It is small, but powerful. I’m glad I purchased it.

I would look at the Insta360 OneR series. It can do all the same things that a Normal GoPro can, but it's a modular unit. You can swap between Fisheye lens, a normal lens, or a 360 lens in all of 30 seconds depending on what you want to do. They can be bought a number of places with whatever lens combination you want.

I used GoPro's and Insta360's to shoot training footage back when I flew the Texan II, and the Insta360 has better native resolution (5.7K vs 4K for most GoPros), but the software to process the footage into something you can edit and use is WAY better on the Insta360. They're both equally durable.

I would comment on battery life, but I didn't use a normal GoPro, just the 360 video version, but the Insta360 was better in that department as well.

For editing software, the best free option to edit the footage you shot into a video would probably be Hitfilm, although Adobe Premier and AfterEffects technically are a better product, you have to pay a subscription to use them.

I will say there's a reason that shooting and editing film is a full time job. It's pretty time intensive, but if you enjoy it, it makes a great hobby for sure.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master
    just looked the insta 360 , out of stock, at their online store anyway. $528.
    looks like nice set up the way its modular and comes with two lenses
    GoPro 7 on sale and available with dive housing, been a while since I strapped on scuba gear, and extra battery $249
    saw on news if your even considering getting anything electronic with a microchip in it better do it now cuz major worldwide chip shortage could be 2 years to straighten out and they predict Christmas shopping will put most everything out of stock

Generally speaking, the Insta360 is a little more expensive, but it's also a lot newer than the Hero 7. It's more comparable to the Hero 10 in price and capability.

Not sure what lenses the Hero's are using now, but for me it was worth it to not be stuck with a fisheye. Granted I was trying to see other planes at 500+ yards, which it's not ideal, but inside of 50 yards they're not bad.

Alternately if shooting nice video is something you want to do, modern digital cameras are going to be much better tools for than action cameras are at the same price point. It's much easier to frame difference scenes when you have multiple lenses to do that with. Like I said, film and editing is a heck of a rabbit hole.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all