Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data

Thread: triple 7 in a 1861 open top colt(.36 cal.)

Boolit Buddy

triple 7 in a 1861 open top colt(.36 cal.)

has any one shot a .36 C&B with triple 7 powder? I"m about to try it. my tube throws 19 gr's of it. it turned my .44(1860 open top) in to a mag. and does any know who sells different length powder tubes?
    Pat

I shoot it in an 1862 Colt Pocket Police ...20g 777 FFFG ..Nitrated curler paper cartridges .. .375 self cast lead round balls then dipped in 75/25 bees wax/olive oil ..primers both factory and my home made primers primed with 3 each cap gun "dots" ALL fired

The factory 1075 RWS percussion caps, CCI #11 and Remington #11 all INSTANTLY ignite 777 ..the homemade percussion caps have just a nano second of "delay" as compared to any of the 3 factory primers I have

You will have NO problems shooting 777 in your pistol as you likely will be using loose powder n ball where I was using the powder charge encased in paper and "cap gun" caps for ignition

Have a ball!

Bear

Boolit Buddy

Try Track of the Wolf for different sized spouts

Boolit Master
    Stick to the suggested loads from Hodgdon identified in the manual that hpbear101 linked to in post #3. Stuffing a chamber full of 777 and cramming a ball on top of it can have really undesirable results. If you want a 357 Magnum, buy a 357 Magnum. As alluded to above, Track of The Wolf, aka TOW, is one of our Black Powder Shooter "go to" places. Dixie Gun Works (DGW) is another.
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 09-19-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    What are you referring to when you say "powder tube"? Are you referring to a powder flask spout? If so, they come in a variety of sizes and are available from Track of the Wolf and other suppliers.

If you are going to be shooting BP - then I would recommend that you buy an adjustable powder measure so you can adjust the measure to the charge that shoots best from your particular revolver - they aren't that expensive and it allows you to work up a load by volume - not guesses.

I have never used Triple 7 but my understanding is that it would require a reduced load over traditional BP. I have always used DuPont or Goes in my revolvers over the last 55 + years. Whatever you use - it's no different than smokeless powder - CHECK the manufacturer's data.

An old gunsmith who taught me how to shoot BP almost 60 years ago using his grandfather's Colt 1851 Navy gave me some very sage advice . . . . "when shooting black powder, use enough to get the job done, but not so much so as to waste any".

A cap and ball revolver - whether it be an open top Colt or a Remington with a top strap - is no different than a smokeless powder revolver - work your load up until you get the desired results - and if you are using a BP substitute - follow the manufacturer's loading data recommendations.

Good luck and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenbear View Post
    I shoot it in an 1862 Colt Pocket Police ...20g 777 FFFG ..Nitrated curler paper cartridges .. .375 self cast lead round balls then dipped in 75/25 bees wax/olive oil ..primers both factory and my home made primers primed with 3 each cap gun "dots" ALL fired

The factory 1075 RWS percussion caps, CCI #11 and Remington #11 all INSTANTLY ignite 777 ..the homemade percussion caps have just a nano second of "delay" as compared to any of the 3 factory primers I have

You will have NO problems shooting 777 in your pistol as you likely will be using loose powder n ball where I was using the powder charge encased in paper and "cap gun" caps for ignition

Have a ball!

Bear
    I agree with what has been said !!!
    To clarify ..I should have noted I am using a 20gr spout on a flask ..when I fill the spout I am in fact displacing a fair amount of space as my fat finger indents into the opening of the spout so I am in fact dispensing 17/18 Gr of 777 per round ..unless one were to place a flat surface across the opening of the spout when inverted and filling it (most awkward) I would expect others to achieve similar results as I do when using a flask in the normal "finger manner" as i do

Bear

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenbear View Post
    To clarify ..I should have noted I am using a 20gr spout on a flask ..when I fill the spout I am in fact displacing a fair amount of space as my fat finger indents into the opening of the spout so I am in fact dispensing 17/18 Gr of 777 per round ..unless one were to place a flat surface across the opening of the spout when inverted and filling it (most awkward) I would expect others to achieve similar results as I do when using a flask in the normal "finger manner" as i do
    Trying to hold a cap tin lid on the spout when filling it is a disaster. Lid goes flying away then rolls out in front of the firing lane or under another shooters foot to be crushed immediately - as if the fate gods ordained it. I once tried to trim down a larger spout to throw 20gr when my technician finger (thin and nimble and perfectly toned) was held over the top of the spout but that was an exercise in futility since finger pressure varies. I now just put my finger on the spout and deliver what is dispensed which is somewhere near 20gr of powder. It works just fine and doesn't waste any powder like all those times my cap tin lid went zinging away.

Since I am the only BP shooter I have seen on our local range, I thought I was the only Cap Tin Lid experimenter out there. Thanks to Bear I now know I am among brothers.

Watch your top knot!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not familiar with that gun, but the general rule is don't shoot 777 in a brass frame revolver. It will stretch out the frame in short order. Steel frames are OK though.

Can't say anything about 777 because I've never used it but this powder measure is great for working up a load. I believe several companies make them but this is the one Dixie carries.
    https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...Powder+Measure