MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: Broken brass

Broken brass

Hello everyone, a friend who does not have access to the forum has a problem.
    His marriages are broken here,

and he doesn't know what the problem is. His weapon is a weatherby 308 submoa, his load is around 43 grains of RL 15 with jwords.
    The problem is that he leaves him stuck without being able to continue shooting.
    He told me that he never did annealing, which I think is a problem.
    if anyone has seen this problem before ...
    Thanks

PS: I do not know if this is the best subforum to ask, but I did not find any more suitable

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Wow. Does this happen with factory ammunition? Maybe he should have the gun inspected by a competent gunsmith.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'd shoot some with known good, fresh, and/or annealed brass.

If that doesn't fix it, I'd take it in for a chamber cast or some other 'laying on of hands' by a gunsmith.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    What's left of the shoulder looks pushed out and rounded. I'd check the chamber and verify it's the correct brass.

Boolit Master
    That looks like some very work hardended brass what brand is it and how many firings has it had ?

Buy new brass.8

Boolit Grand Master

Could be the photo but the necks look a bit long for a 308W?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Had the same thing happen with a single .308 round about 6 weeks ago. That finished the shooting for the day. Could not find my stuck case remover - so had to buy another - then the original showed up in the same plastic box I had looked in several times.

Any way; in my separation the case was a foreign manufactured 7.62x51 case that I had acquired several hundred of a decade ago and had been put in deep storage. I suspect that the case necks were poorly annealed when manufactured. All these cases had been reloaded only once when the failure occurred. I had used these cases for full charge loads using my swaged 175 grain copper jacketed bullets. I have since relegated them to low pressure cast boolit use - hopefully that will mean a good 5 to 20 loads before I dispose of them.

Of interest; over the last year during the height of the ammunition shortage and supposed 24/7/365 effort by US Manufacturers to produce ammo - I have had 6 or 7 different occasions where other shooters have approached me about factory fresh ammo that has had neck splits, body splits, and a single neck separation like the one above in "Factory Fresh Ammo". My problem 6 weeks ago was a decades old Quality Assurance problem. The failures that shooters approached me with are "Current Manufacturing (last 12 months) QA issue.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Thanks for answering, the gun belongs to a friend, and if it had been just a case, we would not have given it importance. But it is the second case to which this happens.
    I have not measured the total length, but I will ask my friend to measure it, and also to measure a case shot this weekend at the range.
    There are no signs of overpressure in the primer.
    I have to tell you that the rifle in question has caused three shots to enter the same hole at 150 meters.
    Yesterday he got some lapua brass and he couldn't resist