Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

I require another red dot sight. A have a few Holosun hs515cm sights and I like them a lot. So yesterday I shopped around and they are all selling for the same price everywhere. Except one place "Honor something or other" has them for $70 less. I put one in my cart and to pay for it they require Zelle (I don't even know what that is), or Paypal. There were other options that didn't interest me. So I contacted them for their Paypal contact and was asked to send the $ "friends and family". Huge red flags went up. I thanked them and said no thanks. Then bought one where I have buyer protection for the $70 higher price. Of course I would have liked to save the $70, who wouldn't?

So what would you have done? It was an awfully good price! (Good bait?)

I'd be cautious too.

Saving $70 sounds great............ At least until you get ripped off.

And with internet sales sites---- there's A BUNCH!! of that going on.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

It's best to stick with well known places these days. There is a lot of rip off sites pop'n up recently.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    Zelle is through Bank of America, I think not for sure.

Personally, if a business doesn't take standard forms of payment (even if it is a credit card) that is a big red flag to me. I don't need to remember how to use seventeen different forms of payment just to shop from home.

Robert

Walk away ...no.. RUN away ..and ditto to all the above

Bear

Boolit Master
    Try primary arms, they run sales all the time.

I did look at Primary Arms I can't remember why I passed them by. Maybe out of stock? But everyone has the same price on it, even they did. I did a lot of 'net shopping and I just can't remember every store I looked at. But it's a done now. I have one coming in.

That is a scam, 100%
    It's becoming pretty common, unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I remember a lot of bootleg Chinese Bushnell sights a while back. I go with a reliable source.

I ordered a book about internet scams. I still haven't gotten it yet!

ACC

Boolit Grand Master

Zelle is a legit payment option but......anytime you are shopping for an item and find prices in the same ballpark several places then run across a sight that has a giant discount it's most likely a scam unless it's a place you know and has the item on discount or clearance especially if they are a business and specify Paypal F&F. Remember the thread here of someone that paid for a, I think, DeWalt circular saw or something like that at a site that had it for 25% of the price elsewhere.

I'm also pretty sure that Paypal's fraud thing will not reimburse you if you send money F&F so that seller is pretty cagey to ask for money like that.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    I did look at Primary Arms I can't remember why I passed them by. Maybe out of stock? But everyone has the same price on it, even they did. I did a lot of 'net shopping and I just can't remember every store I looked at. But it's a done now. I have one coming in.
    PA has pretty good stuff for a decent price. Not top shelf but not bad, I have a scope from them and it's a value pretty much in line for the price I paid or maybe a little better.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    I ordered a book about internet scams. I still haven't gotten it yet!

ACC
    Did you mean to use purple font?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I stick with Amazon these days for most things. Yes I could save some money going elsewhere. But is it worth the hassle? For me no, your answer may vary.

The exception is my fishing line I buy from Ebay. 4 strand braided spectra I can get 1000 yards for what I'd pay locally for 100 yards of spiderwire or similar brand name. Plus I like it better, I like the color, its limp, easy to work with. And it has held up very very well for my river fishing.

Caught a 35 Lb plus Channel cat this june on it. Not bad for 20 lb test line.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

A lot of the fake manufacturers sites use Zelle and have no option for credit cards. I know there is a knockoff Sig site which looks very legit until you get to the payment and the fact they have a lot of stuff in stock. I called Sig and they knew about them but nothing they could do. Said at least post a warning that those sites are not you on your home page. Be careful.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have often used PayPal to pay a "business" for a product, but have never had a "business" request "F & F". If they are a "business" and accept PP, then the PP firs should be figured into the profit margin of the product they are selling - you should not have to give your buyer protection away.

While a $70 savings might sound like a "good deal" - is it a "good deal" to have no buyer protection and run the risk that the people you are dealing with are a sham operation and you end up losing the price you paid? There are way too many shams being run by those that are very willing to do anything illegal to take another's money.

It pays in the long run to deal with reputable companies - you did what most folks with good common sense would fo. When you get what you ordered, use it, enjoy it and don't don't double guess about whether you did the right thing or not - life is too short to fret about such things. Enjoy!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I stick with Amazon these days for most things. Yes I could save some money going elsewhere. But is it worth the hassle? For me no, your answer may vary.

The exception is my fishing line I buy from Ebay. 4 strand braided spectra I can get 1000 yards for what I'd pay locally for 100 yards of spiderwire or similar brand name. Plus I like it better, I like the color, its limp, easy to work with. And it has held up very very well for my river fishing.

Caught a 35 Lb plus Channel cat this june on it. Not bad for 20 lb test line.
    If you can't land a 35 lb plus fish on 20 lb test line then you need to take some fishing lessons.

Back when fishing was good and I lived in the PNW I used nothing but 3 lb test for steelhead fishing. It wasn't uncommon to land 15 lb fish on 3 lb test line.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Any online retailer that won’t take a CC is suspect to me. Zelle is a warning. No way to contest the charge or get your money back.

I’m also in the market for a red dot. I have a Vortex Strikefire on one Carbine. Pretty happy with it for the price. The dot size could be smaller IMO, and I have a general disdain for batteries that may or may not be dead when needed.
    Now I’m looking for something in the $200 to $300 range for another pistol caliber carbine. I see some of the Sig Romeo models have solar auxiliary charging and ‘shake to wake’ power on features. Anybody have experience with the Romeo with solar red dots?
    Last edited by Bmi48219; 09-19-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Back when fishing was good and I lived in the PNW I used nothing but 3 lb test for steelhead fishing. It wasn't uncommon to land 15 lb fish on 3 lb test line.
    There's some club I think in Florida that uses only 20 lb. line.
    The fella may have had a couple miles of it on a Penn International reel, and fought all day, but their club record on 20 lb.
    is something like a 8-900 pound shark.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Any online retailer that won’t take a CC is suspect to me. Zelle is a warning. No way to contest the charge or get your money back.

I’m also in the market for a red dot. I have a Vortex Strikefire on one Carbine. Pretty happy with it for the price. The dot size could be smaller IMO, and I have a general disdain for batteries that may or may not be dead when needed.
    Now I’m looking for something in the $200 to $300 range for another pistol caliber carbine. I see some of the Sig Romeo models have solar auxiliary charging and ‘shake to wake’ power on features. Anybody have experience with the Romeo with solar red dots?
    I got one of the Romeo's recently but have not mounted it on anything yet. I bought it based on some comments on the forum. From what little I have played with it out of the box I think I will like it. I also have a couple of the Bushnell TRS 25's and have been happy with those as well. One is about three years old now and I have yet to replace the battery in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast