Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contender for White Tail

Boolit Buddy

Contender for White Tail

I will be taking the contender hunting this year for the first time. It's actually the first time hunting in years. Now my question for you is of these four calibers below, which would you choose and why. A ask because I know they will all work great. I am just torn on which one I want to use. Due to the fact that I haven't been in a while, I will keep my shots within 100 yards. My thoughts on each below.

7mm TCU

Same as the 7-30. I know a lot of you has used this what is the average range you try to stay under?

7-30 Waters

Nice round and shoots well. I just struggle because I would really like to try the JDJ's more.

309 JDJ

I have only been to the range with this once and need some practice. I just picked up some Nosler 125, 165, and 180 grain ballistic tips. I think I am going to load some 125 and 165's and see how they do this weekend.

375 JDJ

I feel the 375 is a little excessive but it is the one that I have shot the best. If I use this one I will be using Hornady 220G FP (everything else I have is overkill). Actually, I do have some Speer 235 Semi Spitzers that will work well too.

I'm pretty excited about this trip to say the least. Your comments are appreciated.

Boolit Bub
    Me... 7x30, only because I have no experience with the others you listed, and I know it will get the job done. Not very much help to you, is it? Pick one and run, don't make it harder than it has to be.
    How meaningful can you be, there is only so much to say before you are talking too much.

Boolit Buddy

I do agree. Will get the job done. As far as the help. I do enjoy the discussion.

Super Moderator

I really like the 7x30 Waters, and think that it's a fantastic round for most of the thin skinned game in the lower 48. It's super easy to form brass from 30-30, and has moderate recoil for a handgun. I use it on mule deer, antelope, and have even taken an elk with mine. It also does double duty as a silhouette shooting round. It's hard to go wrong with the 7x30 Waters.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 09-18-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    I would shoot the one I shot best, and enjoy the ride. My personal one would be the 7-30 Waters, excellent round and does the job, my experience with it.

Boolit Master
    I’ve shot several deer with the 7tcu in a Contender. I shot the same gun extensively in IHMSA silhouette for several years. Although very accurate, the 7mm bullets penciled their way through a couple of deer with little or no expansion. I got the deer, but I was very disappointed in bullet performance. I’d suggest either using a caliber with bullets designed to be used in a handgun, or use a larger diameter cartridge. Use the 375jdj, there’s no such thing as “overkill”, dead is dead.

Shot several deer with the 7-30 Waters so it would be my choice , but if you want to go JDJ then pick the one you are the most comfortable with.

Boolit Grand Master
    In the OP you mentioned that the .375 was the one you shot best. I wouldn't think it overkill if that 's the one you shoot best. Don't particularly disagree with the other comments, just noted that you shoot the .375 best. You've got some time to bone up on any of the others, if you like, but I think you answered your own question.

Boolit Buddy

Wow. I knew that the 7-30 Waters was liked but I didn't expect most to go for that one. It is definitely a fun round.

NSB - What is your favorite Bullet - Powder for deer combo for the TCU?

725 - The plan is to take all 4 barrels to the range tomorrow and whichever one shoots the best for the day is the one I am going to work on over the next couple months to get ready.

Boolit Master
    My pet load in a revolver is a Hornady 158g XTP HP sitting on top of a full charge of WW296/H110. In a carbine I usually use a Hornady 180g XTP HP, again on top of WW296/H110. The carbine will give you an extra fifty yards of the same bullet performance you get out of the handgun.

Moderator Emeritus

I love the 7-30 waters but I would shoot the one I shoot best.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    My pet load in a revolver is a Hornady 158g XTP HP sitting on top of a full charge of WW296/H110. In a carbine I usually use a Hornady 180g XTP HP, again on top of WW296/H110. The carbine will give you an extra fifty yards of the same bullet performance you get out of the handgun.
    I was asking what your favorite load was for the 7mm TCU. You said you have taken many deer with it. I thought about a 357 barrel but I have already spent too much on the ones I have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0822.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	288924 .375 JDJ for me,220gr hornady at 2300 fps. i do have a g2 in 7-30 waters also and do like it, but the g2 in .375 just puts a larger hole in them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound689 View Post
    I was asking what your favorite load was for the 7mm TCU. You said you have taken many deer with it. I thought about a 357 barrel but I have already spent too much on the ones I have.
    I didn’t say I took many deer with the 7tcu. I said I took several. I quit using the 7tcu because I couldn’t get the rifle bullets to expand well enough with the limited case capacity and the powders I was using.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0822.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	288924 .375 JDJ for me,220gr hornady at 2300 fps. i do have a g2 in 7-30 waters also and do like it, but the g2 in .375 just puts a larger hole in them.
    Have you ever recovered a bullet from one of your deer? Curious as to what kind of expansion you get out of it?

Boolit Buddy

I didn’t say I took many deer with the 7tcu. I said I took several. I quit using the 7tcu because I couldn’t get the rifle bullets to expand well enough with the limited case capacity and the powders I was using.

ok. Well you have helped with the decision on that one.

Boolit Master
    Here’s what a Hornady 158g XTP looks like taken from the off-side of a deer. Shot out of a six inch barreled handgun, one shot at 35 yards and one at 90 yards. In a carbine the most expanded one in the picture will happen at 90-100 yards. That extra barrel length and velocity really shows up.

Boolit Buddy

Here’s what a Hornady 158g XTP looks like taken from the off-side of a deer. Shot out of a six inch barreled handgun, one shot at 35 yards and one at 90 yards. In a carbine the most expanded one in the picture will happen at 90-100 yards. That extra barrel length and velocity really shows up.
    That’s quite a difference

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound689 View Post
    That’s quite a difference
    It it, but remember the smaller expanded one is still around .50”. Nothing to sneeze at. It just shows how much loss you get out of a handgun in a relatively short distance. Bullet placement is critical, not just ft/lbs of energy.

Boolit Master
    I have used a Contender Carbine in 7x30 Waters for many years. It does a great job with Speer 130 gr. spitzers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast