Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting hunting bullets for a 270 Handi Rifle. Best mould for the job?

Casting hunting bullets for a 270 Handi Rifle. Best mould for the job?

I have this prepper project I need help with. Ive never been fond of, or owned a 270 my entire life. Ive taken deer with various rifles. I own a 280, 7x57, 30/06, etc. So I've never had a need for a 270. But with current actions of our government lately, and the decline of civility in our nation, i decided it would be a good idea to have at least something that shoots that caliber, as it is quite popular for hunting in my area and others. So i got an NEF Handi rifle at auction. Its used and came with a simple tasco scope.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D046FC7B-DBBD-4A92-BD0D-6CBFA71473F9.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	288899

I have the dies for it and I’ll get brass from the range. I might buy a box of non-cast bullets to tinker with but really don't want to spend more money on this project than i have to. To that point, i figured if i get a good bullet mold that works well for taking meat, I should be set. So please make suggestions. If you have recipes to share, please do. And thanks.

Boolit Master
    I have three molds for my Mod 70 - 270. The rifle shoots the boolit from the Lee mold very well but my favorite is the NOE mold boolit. With iron sights, both shoot 2 MOA at 100 with the NOE boolit a little better which could be just me on testing day. The Lee boolit drops from my mold and my alloy at 140 gr w/o gas check and the NOE boolit drops at 129 gr from my mold. Mid South seems to be out of that Lee mold at the moment but NOE appears to have its in stock.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm looking to gear my 270 up for cast also. So far I'm looking at the LBT 150 Grain but watching here to see what you come up with.

Heres a thought. I have the rcbs 7mm silhouette mold. Can it be sized down enough for the 270”? It needs to be .278” minimum, right? That way i can just use the 7mm gas checks. I here .277 gas checks are hard to find. To that point, are the silhouette bullets good for hunting?

Boolit Buddy
    Gas checks https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/270-6-...or-gas-checks/

I've been thinking about the 7mm molds also. You go first!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mkj4him View Post
    Heres a thought. I have the rcbs 7mm silhouette mold. Can it be sized down enough for the 270”? It needs to be .278” minimum, right? That way i can just use the 7mm gas checks. I here .277 gas checks are hard to find. To that point, are the silhouette bullets good for hunting?
    I've only dabbled in cast with the .270 and haven't gotten very good results yet.

Did kill a deer with cast in 7x57, not too much bigger. If I were you, I'd get the heaviest bullet that would shoot well enough and either hollow point it or cast it with a soft nose.

Has anyone paper patched up 6.5 cast bullets and tried them in .270?

Well ill have to get a .278 sizer anyway so i can try the 7mm first. Then orry about a .277 mold if necessary. Its really just to take deer so nothing fancy needed.

I use an old Ideal #280412 (132gn) with good results.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Not a 270 but here we go .

I have had excellent results with the NOE 279-124 it casts 129 gr and is just over 130 ready to shoot . I've run it 2200+ in a 1-10 twist .

I have a 280??? pointed bullet with a long check shank , it was an old ,old Pope and Squibb design , it's fine under 1200 fps , by 1600 it's really anybody's guess .

I did try a 7mm-168 SIL RCBS that was under size on the nose for every 7mm available neither the MSR nor the Bolt gun in 6.8 SPC would take it . A worn 270 might .

I have the 27-130 FP the bolt gun hasn't been tried but the MSR shot it well , it just didn't feed for beans .

I have a new to me 27-150 RNFP I intend to shoot in the bolt gun and patch for a brand new 7×57 but as of yet it hasn't been cast . It was a 6-7yr passive search to get so good luck in the current market .

Paper patch from a 6.5 ........ The 6.5 I'm working is .270 and needs a .272 so this may or may not be of any use . I sized a 266469 down to .265 and patched it back to .272 . I'm going to be honest I have a poor relationship with Loveren types , I get full profile holes about the time the groups start to close , followed by significant leading . Lube doesn't change things , sized or as cast doesn't matter nose or base first for checking doesn't matter ........ What a surprise here it may we'll be the bullet for this ....... It only casts at .268 . If however you happen to have a fat 6.5 like the NOE 270-140 it will likely work well with powders like 4350 and 4831 where you run out of case before you hit pressure limits . You'll need/want at least a .270-.272 as cast dia for the paper patch .

I don't have a 7mm/.285 Loveren type , see above , mould but I do have several 130 gr in 7mm and I don't think any of them with size .278/9 due to the nose dia . The Lee "soup can" would probably be the best shot there unless you have another in like .

For whatever it's worth at 2150 fps at 4000 MSL the 279-124 will carry the Nevada big game required 1000 ftlb @100 yd .

I think that covers what I have to offer .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    I use an old Ideal #280412 (132gn) with good results.

What cartridge is this?

270 Savage (250/3000 necked up) with no other change.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I would rechamber it to 338-06, 35 whelen, or 375 whelen...but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Lots of 270 casting going on!! 3 different threads in the last 2 weeks. Ill be the first to admit being overzealous on this cartridge. Maybe its because its my first centerfire, first rifle, first rifle used for deer. Whatever it is, Im glad to see others enjoying it. Mk, I have had much luck with Red Dot in lower velocity loads (1400-1500fps) and W748 in loads around 2000fps. I used the Lee 135 grain boolit for a bit, but have found better accuracy with the heavier boolit from RCBS 270-150RF. It also drops a little fatter at .279-.280. The grooves should be .277 for the 270Win, I have found the .279-.280 to be just about right for my rifle. I did try powder coating, but the nose of the boolit was too fat with it to chamber. I have used Lyman Orange Magic but am currently using White Label Carnuba Blue with excellent results for me. For me that means less than 2 inches at 100 yards, some groups at an inch depending on the day.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have this prepper project I need help with. Ive never been fond of, or owned a 270 my entire life. Ive taken deer with various rifles. I own a 280, 7x57, 30/06, etc. So I've never had a need for a 270. But with current actions of our government lately, and the decline of civility in our nation, i decided it would be a good idea to have at least something that shoots that caliber, as it is quite popular for hunting in my area and others. So i got an NEF Handi rifle at auction. Its used and came with a simple tasco scope.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D046FC7B-DBBD-4A92-BD0D-6CBFA71473F9.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	288899

I have the dies for it and I’ll get brass from the range. I might buy a box of non-cast bullets to tinker with but really don't want to spend more money on this project than i have to. To that point, i figured if i get a good bullet mold that works well for taking meat, I should be set. So please make suggestions. If you have recipes to share, please do. And thanks.
    As a prepper, I took a different take on calibers. I had a .25/06, 270, two .308’s, and .30/06. I picked the .308 to standardize on as I had a lot of brass and is a NATO caliber. I sold the .25/06, .270 and .30/06 and now have three .308’s. That simplifies inventory. If a rifle were to fail, I can use the same ammunition in the other guns.

If I have to resort to shooting cast bullets, I decided the .30/30 was a better fit. Brass is easy to get, it shoots cast well and if the government comes after the AR’s, the rate of fire of a lever action is a plus for self defense. I have three .30/30’s I acquired cheaply. Also, the .30/30 is popular in my area so I may “liberate” some ammunition or use reloads for bartering.

I will likely never shoot cast in the .308’s as I have 2000 jacketed bullets that will last a lifetime, and the .30/30 is a tad more frugal on powder. Makes little sense to load .308’s to .30/30 levels unless I run short of .30/30 brass. I can use the same GC’s in both calibers so only need one GC maker.

The four calibers you have overlap in performance and add complexity with little added value. It is unlikely you will “liberate” many rounds of 7x57 or .280, or that they will serve as popular barter items. Having two .30/06’s and two .30/30’s would provide your preps with simplicity and redundancy.

With four calibers, you will want a jacketed load for each caliber and a cast load for each....8 loads. Three molds and sizers and three GC calibers.

Reverting to .30/06 and .30/30 will require a jacketed load for the /06, maybe a cast load for the /06, and a cast load for the .30/30...two or three loads. One mold, one sizer, one GC.

I am a big believer in KISS.
    Don Verna

Thank you Don for insight. You have a similr mind set as my brother in law. I tend to be more of the collector in the family with several milsurps as well ss the afore mentioned standard calibers. I keep standard ammo and firearms to the front of the safe. Everything else stays to the rear, out of the way. I reload for all. Its my hobby. I am getting closer to casting for all. An extension of my hobby. Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thank you Don for insight. You have a similr mind set as my brother in law. I tend to be more of the collector in the family with several milsurps as well ss the afore mentioned standard calibers. I keep standard ammo and firearms to the front of the safe. Everything else stays to the rear, out of the way. I reload for all. Its my hobby. I am getting closer to casting for all. An extension of my hobby. Thanks again.
    I understand the collecting and hobby part as I was the same way for decades. Prepping changed my perspective and made me realize that collecting was not the same as prepping. Last night was a good example. A friend was moaning about the availability/cost of ammunition. He has a .270, .300 Savage, .308 and .30/06 but very little ammunition. He asked me to load some .270 for him as he is down to less than a box. WHAT!!!! He has about $3000 in those four rifles and less than 150 rounds combined! When times were good, he could have bought 500-600 rounds for the cost of one of his "toys" and have enough hunting ammunition for over 15 years.

I am not perfect...LOL...and still have too many "toys"; but I sold many of them to put up a substantial inventory of bullets, powder, primers, .22's etc. I do not miss the "toys" at all, and it is comforting to know I am prepared for the worst. The current shortages have let me cash in at below "scalper" prices and realize a comfortable return on investment. When things get back to normal I will stock back up; but if not, I am going to be OK. With my current level of recreational shooting, I have enough to last over 10 years, and a lifetime if the SHTF. Of course, at 71, a lifetime is not that long anymore....especially if it a true SHTF and not just stupid regulations/controls.

Good luck with your search for a .270 mold and load.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you are on a budget, definitely get a Lee mold, if one is available to start with. They are gas checked, but you can shoot them without, if you’re not pushing them too fast. Powder coating is a plus. Now you just need to find one for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    If you are on a budget, definitely get a Lee mold, if one is available to start with. They are gas checked, but you can shoot them without, if you’re not pushing them too fast. Powder coating is a plus. Now you just need to find one for sale.
    There is only one Lee 270 mold, correct? Ive been keeping my eye out. Any idea if powder coating that bullet causes problems with the nose being to big to chamber correctly?

Boolit Buddy
    I think that any of the bore riding nose designs have the potential for chambering problems with PC added.

Boolit Master
    Definitely get that Lee mold for the 270 if/when they become available. The NOE mold I have is a custom not listed in the NOE catalog and is designated 279-124. It has two cavities, one for plain base and one for gas check. I received it as a prize at the Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot. The gas check boolits shoot great at about 1900. The real surprise is that the rifle also loves that plain base boolit at an MV of 1350 fps with standard Lee Alox and Red Dot powder making it incredibly economical to shoot for small game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast