RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meteorite

Boolit Master
    That is pretty darned cool
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master

I have one that is about the size of my fist that I found at one of my arrowhead hunting spots.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Is the rate of cooling so slow because the metal is very close to absolute zero when in the deep space?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    My WAG is that the cooling would be so slow because of the vacuum of space. Sort of a humongous
    Yeti cooler.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    My WAG is that the cooling would be so slow because of the vacuum of space. Sort of a humongous
    Yeti cooler.
    This.
    Space isn’t cold or hot really. A molten piece of metal would take a long time to cool sitting in a near perfect vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Reminds me of the Jim Bowie movie with Alan Ladd where his knife was made from a meteorite.
    There was a dagger found in a Pharoah 's tomb (Tut I think) that was made from a meteorite. At the time it was made Egypt was not in the iron age.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    There was a dagger found in a Pharoah 's tomb (Tut I think) that was made from a meteorite. At the time it was made Egypt was not in the iron age.
    This https://allthatsinteresting.com/king-tut-dagger

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    This.
    Space isn’t cold or hot really. A molten piece of metal would take a long time to cool sitting in a near perfect vacuum.
    May I ask why it would take a long time to cool in a vacuum?

I find this idea fascinating. What inhibits the heat energy from leaving the hot metal? Does heat transfer energy the same way that sound does, where it needs a medium to transfer the energy?

I think it would cool and then remain cool until it is in the presence of another energy source which given the wide open void of space, may never happen.

How long would a microwaved potato wrapped in foil remain hot in outer space?

The Earth is in outer space I'm sure there is heat and material loss. But it is also bathed in the solar energy and gas jetting from our sun.

I've heard of quenching steel in dry ice or liquid nitrogen to realign the grain structure as part of a hardening process for making blade steel. I wonder what qualities a knife that could be forged perfectly and then kept at Absolute Zero for millions of years would have. Thor probably eats his steaks with such a knife

USMC 77, USRA 79

i think you should melt it down and make boolits????? Met boolits sounds cool!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Was wondering when those crazy million of dollars pistols were going to get mentioned!

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    <snip> It probably wouldn't have been a star, stars are made of gases that burn, any iron in a star would have been vaporized,..<snip>
    Ummm, maybe not, not if I understand you correctly. All the heavy elements come from stars. It starts with hydrogen and immense gravity which produces nuclear "burning" and as the H2 fuses it morphs into other elements, which work their way up the periodic chart until iron is reached. At that point iron stops the fusion. Get enough of it at the stars core and yes an explosion occurs, but lots of stuff is blown out where it coalesces into more stars, planets and such. And other even heavier elements are made. So ultimately what you have in hand was part of a star at some time. The planet we live on and the air we breathe? All star stuff. But yes, it could also have been part of what coalesced from a star and never made it into a planet. The Oort cloud and the debris between Mars and Jupiter (I think it's between M&J) is composed of such material. Excuse me, my mistake, what you have in hand, should it have come from that leftover debris DID make it into a planet, ours. It just got found and turned into slabs. Becoming part of our planet just didn't happen during the major planet forming phase.

I'm not going to go into where the H2 came from. Other than to say that I do believe the hand of GOD is at work.

Having a piece of a meteor is pretty neat when you think about where it came from.

If you want to see stars that have exploded and ejected material do a search for "planetary nebula".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    May I ask why it would take a long time to cool in a vacuum?

I find this idea fascinating. What inhibits the heat energy from leaving the hot metal? Does heat transfer energy the same way that sound does, where it needs a medium to transfer the energy?

I think it would cool and then remain cool until it is in the presence of another energy source which given the wide open void of space, may never happen.

How long would a microwaved potato wrapped in foil remain hot in outer space?

The Earth is in outer space I'm sure there is heat and material loss. But it is also bathed in the solar energy and gas jetting from our sun.

I've heard of quenching steel in dry ice or liquid nitrogen to realign the grain structure as part of a hardening process for making blade steel. I wonder what qualities a knife that could be forged perfectly and then kept at Absolute Zero for millions of years would have. Thor probably eats his steaks with such a knife

I think a potato heated in anything and wrapped in foil, placed in a vacuum, would immediately boil out all water and therefore take all available heat energy with it.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

I had forgotten about the pressure difference somehow thank you for reminding me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    I think a potato heated in anything and wrapped in foil, placed in a vacuum, would immediately boil out all water and therefore take all available heat energy with it.
    I think so, converting the water to vapor would cool the potato.

When we think of cooling we really think of heat transfer from one object to another. The energy doesn’t just go away, it goes into something else. A hot cup of coffee warms the air around it until it reaches room temp. In space there is nothing around a meteor to take the heat away, so it stays hot.

Banned
    Geez suddenly my little collection of petrified wood and "ringing"rocks gleaned from my river rock landscape material seems kinda puny!

Nice rock!

Boolit Master

My Iraq Pics

Moderator Emeritus

there are a LOT of fake meteorites on ebay, Chinese seller is a huge red flag... when you sell 10,000 at $3 each... and your cost to manufacture is low...

Boolit Master

Granted, but I don't know how anyone could cook soft olivine crystals inside molten iron like a plum pudding.

The fakes on eBay are usually regular rocks, glass or slag from iron foundries - nothing like this at all. This one coming from China - yep, I am always anxious to see what arrives but in this case I'm satisfied it's legit, based on what I've seen of other Sericho samples.
    Last edited by AndyC; 09-18-2021 at 08:19 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I think so, converting the water to vapor would cool the potato.

When we think of cooling we really think of heat transfer from one object to another. The energy doesn’t just go away, it goes into something else. A hot cup of coffee warms the air around it until it reaches room temp. In space there is nothing around a meteor to take the heat away, so it stays hot.
    Heat from an object leaves if by three possible ways, conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction and convection requires contact with a cooler substance. If the substance in contact is a solid conduction occurs, if it is a liquid or gas then convection occurs. In a vacuum heat is transferred by radiation, that is how we get warmer/hotter when standing in the sunshine. Conduction is what warms our feet when standing on hot pavement and convection is what causes air movement as in wind.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

meteors are cool, no doubt, and I too would like to have one. Here's something else I think is very unique. The megladon.
    https://www.fossilera.com/fossils-fo...egalodon-teeth
    https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/sharks-rays/megalodon
    Deplorable infidel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast