Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meteorite

Boolit Master

Love the Avatar fastdadio...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    meteors are cool, no doubt, and I too would like to have one. Here's something else I think is very unique. The megladon.
    https://www.fossilera.com/fossils-fo...egalodon-teeth
    https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/sharks-rays/megalodon
    Neat!!
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Love the Avatar fastdadio...
    Thank you Sir.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

Used to do some searching in the Arizona desert for meteorites with my metal detector. Never found one. Found lots of meteorwrongs, though.

Also found some cool petrified wood...

Attachment 288933

If you love rocks, fossils, gems, meteorites, etc. then you have to make at least one trip to Quartzite, AZ for the annual gem show in January. Just an amazing selection of cool stuff at great prices.

You want giant dinosaur leg bones? They have them. Want millions of fossilized shark teeth? They have those, too...

Attachment 288934

Attachment 288935
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Reminds me of the Jim Bowie movie with Alan Ladd where his knife was made from a meteorite.
    I'm pretty sure it was called The Iron Princess tho it could have been The Iron Maiden. Aint seen that show for 35 years. I couldnt find it on you tube but maybe someone better than me can find it

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was called The Iron Princess tho it could have been The Iron Maiden. Aint seen that show for 35 years. I couldnt find it on you tube but maybe someone better than me can find it
    It was the Iron Mistress. A friend of mine made the knives that were used in the old TV show.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    It would be interesting to hold for sure. I have held a couple of other worldly objects...on first dates and last dates ;^)
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    I found this meteorite in the Mojave desert near a place called Rice. It is the area where Patton trained his tank corps for the invasion of North Africa. It is made of iron and weighs six ounces. The earth is hit by thousands of meteorites everyday. I saw a man on TV who lived just below Tucson, Arizona who had made a great deal of money picking up meteorites and selling them to the Japanese.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Neat!!
    AndyC,
    Did you ever check it with a Geiger counter?

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    AndyC,
    Again with the critical thinking!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Again with the critical thinking!
    Please explain how, asking if OP had checked his meteor with a Geiger counter, be considered critical thinking?

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Please explain how, asking if OP had checked his meteor with a Geiger counter, be considered critical thinking?
    Well you had a good idea for how to spot the scammer who is trying to sell the invisible Henry rifle, call the neighbors and see if the building is vacant. That idea never occurred to me.
    Now looking at meteorites you bring up the subject of checking them for unusual radiations. Also another very good idea.
    How terrible would it be to purchase a stone on eBay that was picked up from an underground nuclear test site?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

AndyC,
    Send me one and I will.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    Makes me homesick for Krypton.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Now looking at meteorites you bring up the subject of checking them for unusual radiations. Also another very good idea. How terrible would it be to purchase a stone on eBay that was picked up from an underground nuclear test site?
    I didn’t think of that and I really know zero about meteors. Just curious if it had been exposed to nuclear fusion or fission while being formed or traveling here. Isn’t everyone?
    I know steel & iron processed after 1945 are traceably radioactive because lingering radiation and residual fallout from nuclear bombs and tests attaches to iron ore and incorporates into the finished steel, even today. That’s why pre-1945 steel is highly desired for certain applications. I’m told Geiger counters are adjusted to chirp when detecting radiation levels in excess of the amount commonly present all around us.
    Just wondered if a meteorite was radioactive.

Boolit Master

Interesting question. After the japan '45 bombings, people were collecting the molten sand/glass, called 'trinitite', I believe, and were making jewelry out of it. Years later, they discovered that it was indeed radioactive! If meteors did come from a star, I would think the radioactivity question to be sound.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

I guess that coming from China, OP’s meteorite piece wouldn’t have made it through US customs inspection if it were highly radioactive. At least I hope not.
    Must be super cool to hold something that started off as debris from a stellar event and travelled untold millions of miles before slamming into earth. It certainly has every right to glow in the dark, IMO.

I guess that coming from China, OP’s meteorite piece wouldn’t have made it through US customs inspection if it were highly radioactive. At least I hope not.
    Must be super cool to hold something that started off as debris from a stellar event and travelled untold millions of miles before slamming into earth. It certainly has every right to glow in the dark, IMO.
    ^^^ Like ^^^
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    If that was tested with an XRF gun would it only show iron ? I guess this thread has got my interest.

Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123