Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: credit card compromised

Boolit Master

credit card compromised

got a call from the bank today. did you make such and such a purchase. answer was no. so. my card is cancelled and i will be sent a new one. problem is that it is the third time since may of this year. anyone got any ideas? i think that i am SOL and will have to live with this.

Try to figure out where you have been and used your card just before it gets hacked each time like the barbershop? There has to be a common thread.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I had been losing one about every 15 months. You can't close all doors, since commercial websites are often hacked and customer info stolen, including any credit card info used for making online purchases. To limit my exposure to this sort of thing, I often choose a paypal checkout, as I think paypal has better security in place. However, around here, many of the compromises have been occurring at pay at the pump stations along major highways (thus offering easy escape). We all know about scanners applied to the pump, but it's also possible for crooks to sit in a nearby vehicle and bluetooth read your transactions (or so I've heard). I avoid gas stations on mayor roads.

I pay cash at restaurants and convenience stores. I got a AAA credit card that interfaces with gas pumps by holding it up to a panel on the pump face - no key entries required and this is used for gas only. My last loss was in Feb 2021, so we'll see how well all this works.

Boolit Master

I have one card and one card only that my wife and I use on line. It has a horrible interest rate but really good online and theft protection. We pay it off every month so the rate doesn't matter but the protection has bailed us out a couple of times as we did not get stuck with fraudulent charges.

Vendor Sponsor

I'd suspect your computer is compromised and every time you get a new card you give the data to whoever is backdooring your system when you make a purchase online.

Another popular way is to install a sniffer on a gas pump that sends your card data to someone listening nearby they then sell your data to another "broker" who uses the data or sells it again.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

We got hacked twice. Both times shortly after my wife purchased something on ETSY. She doesn't go there anymore.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine was compromised last month. I’ve narrowed it down to 2 places: one of them was online DMV transaction, another one was daughter used other card, on same account, on some gas station.

Boolit Grand Master

I got hit twice within a couple months, both times after using it at a local restaurant. I told the manager why I wouldn’t be eating there anymore.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    i like the idea of my computer being "hacked". i'll be going to Best Buy to have it "cleaned'

Banned
    The restaurants are the worst place as most of their staff work hard but it only takes one and they can create a lot of headaches for senior citizens who prefer to dine out. I have seen this happen to a lot of my friends I only use cash now when out don't care if its fast food or a nice sit down place.

Boolit Master
    I used to have the same credit card number long enough to remember it.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I'm pretty sure that when I was a kid, the only credit card anyone had was a gas card -- such as "Flying A". jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    I'm pretty sure that when I was a kid, the only credit card anyone had was a gas card -- such as "Flying A". jd
    Around here, everyone established their credit with a Sears Roebuck card.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Around here, everyone established their credit with a Sears Roebuck card.
    Yup, you're right. That was my first one in probably 1974.

Sears was quite a store in those days. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Fast food is another venue for card hacking... local Arby's got me twice, I calle thed manager and told him what was going on and he fired half the day crew who were in on it. They had little readers in their pockets that could read the stripe if it was swiped over the outside of the pocket... like they were cleaning the card off to try it again... college town and one of the guys had a super memory so he memorized all the 3 digit security codes...

Boolit Master
    This is exactly why I have`nt had a credit card in almost 50 years,nor ever had a debit card.Don`t want either one.
    Quit credit cards after a local butthead(preachers kid)broke into house and stole it along with a half a book of checks.No checking acct either.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

I got hit 3 times in about a year and a half. Wife convinced me to switch banks.

In the last 5 years I have been notified to call fraud prevention 4 or 5 times, all purchases of mine.

No one has actually gotten my money. A few may have tried and failed.
    Seems to me like my wife made a good call. All banks are not created equal.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I have one card and one card only that my wife and I use on line. It has a horrible interest rate but really good online and theft protection. We pay it off every month so the rate doesn't matter but the protection has bailed us out a couple of times as we did not get stuck with fraudulent charges.
    Share the name of that card with us.

thanks

I only have a debit cards. Bank and a credit union. I had both hit in less than two weeks by bogus transactions that the banks caught. Obviously they only had the card number, maybe expiration but not CV code. Nothing went through. New cards for both. It had been over 6 months since I had used the credit union card. Who knows

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I got a txt from my Discover credit card about a Gas purchase in Georgia at 7:30AM est.
    I had just purchased egg n cheese biscuits for the guys in the shop at 6am cst. 1 hr time difference here. So I called them because I thought the txt was a scam, sure as can be someone tried or did purchase gas with my card at a gas pump (no info needed) and I told them I was at work in Nashville,Tn and no way could I get to Ga. that fast. So they cancelled that card and sent new one out.
    I went around to the guys n gals and told them beware of drive thru at Hardee’s near our company that my card info was stolen and 3 others told me their card info was stolen in the past few weeks but they didn’t know where from cause they had many purchases all over but had Hardee’s in common. So a call to the police ( did nothing) and a call to the store manager.
    No clue if the culprit was caught ! Card company told me call police and file report.

Glad I used my credit card and NOT my debit card attached to my checking account.
    ALLWAYS watch the person at the drive thru with your card or use cash.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast