Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: credit card compromised

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Banks' databases get broken into all too often, and so do major retailers', its just an annoyance that they haven't fixed and are probably not going to, sadly.

Boolit Master

I have had the exact same thing happen. The lady at the bank told me that there are devices readily available online that allow someone to get your card #'s without getting too close to you. The last time it happened to me every card I had in my wallet got hit. I got me a billfold with rfid protection and carry 1 card with me. I've started carrying cash for small purchases, where I used to use my debit card I now use cash.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Moderator Emeritus

I went to cash for grabbing fast food if I am out and about. Haven't had my debit card hacked in 9 months...

Boolit Master
    I suspect that my card info was stolen at a nearby fast food joint last year. We used to go there every week or two. When I went back after my card was stolen, there was a completely new crew in the joint; service was better too. I don't think it was a coincidence.

Everyone should watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsMydMDi3rI

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

Having your credit card number stolen is no big deal. You aren't responsible for any charges, you get a new card and carry on. Credit cards are by far the safest way to purchase anything. That is, of course, if you have the disciple to manage your spending. I especially enjoy the thousand or so dollars we get back every year in rewards. We have never paid any interest charges as the balance is paid off each month.

One thing that can help is to not use cc where it leaves your sight. Restaurants where they go to the back and scan leave room to write down everything...... don't need a skimmer and they can way more easily get things processed

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Mine got compromised three times running, each of three
    replacement cards was compromised, within days. I did not even activate the third. Turned out Citi Bank had either been hacked or had an employee that was involved. I changed banks and that solved the problem. My current card company issues unique numbers for each internet purchaser, which seems to work. If compromised, there is only one vendor that has that number.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

I admit that I haven't read the entire thread...

A few years ago my card was hacked to the tune of $13k+. A new card was issued and today I discovered that I bought car parts to the tune of $840. I called the card bank and told them it wasn't me. New cards are on the way.

What I did after the first time was to make sure the cards couldn't be used out of country, then I had the CC bank tell me everytime the card is used without a physical presence. That's how I found out today and canceled the cards within hours and I hope the bank was able to cancel the charge.

The biggest hassle is that I have to change all of the autopay accounts. That's a bite in the butt. I have things on order that haven't shipped yet or been charged.

edit: What I'd like to know is how do the low lifes get the CC info?
    Last edited by BJK; 09-20-2021 at 11:47 PM.

My credit union's security folks will deny any charge outside where I am i.e, if I am home and someone in New York or Nevada tries to use it to fill their gas tank, they will be denied.

Means I do have to warn my bank before I travel fair deal that tho.

BJK, I imagine someone hacked into your bank's computer to get that info.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    I admit that I haven't read the entire thread...

edit: What I'd like to know is how do the low lifes get the CC info?
    Read the thread, folks have discribed several ways it is done.

I seldom used my debit card, CC seems to be way easier to dispute any unauthorized charges. It has been a long time since I have had any card issues. I don't make tons of purchases these days, I have accumulated about everything I need.

Seems crazy that you can track down the source of the compromise and the police do nothing...have heard that more than just here.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Moderator Emeritus

My preference is pay with paypal, any fraud there is easy to dispute and I have een a member there so many years/ran so much money thru them that they give me preferential treatment on disputes. Business account too helps...

Some years ago, an author friend moved to Colorado Springs, while working on her book's next revision she had issues for about 6 months, the idiot publisher was changing her pdf file master copy she'd turn in to be published - things like removing her copyright acknowledgements and so on...

Do you want to get sued? Cause that's a good fast way to arrange it.

I visited and helped fix that. But she needed income so was on welfare temporarily - They had at that time, folks on welfare come into the welfare office and help with the paperwork, some of whom were photocopying peoples' identity paperwork, she was quite unimpressed with the lack of brains there! Identity theft central, basically.

Got her unstuck at least

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Wife had card # stolen a couple years ago from an illegal scanner on a local grocery store machine. The Mexican gang running the ring printed up a fake card and bought six $2K gift cards at Sam's club down the street. I found out because my satellite bill bounced. Now I have minimum purchase alarm points ( just a few hundred) set on all my cards. If I buy anything over that amount, my iPhone is buzzing before I get my card back in my wallet!!!!! A VERY valuable and FREE tool to help you. The clowns that perpetrated the theft are now in the fed pen. Discover sent new card and I worked with the city police, county sheriff, the FBI, and even the local Secret Service called me!

You are not responsible for any charges on a stole card. Just have min purchase limits set and watch your accounts.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    got a call from the bank today. did you make such and such a purchase. answer was no. so. my card is cancelled and i will be sent a new one. problem is that it is the third time since may of this year. anyone got any ideas? i think that i am SOL and will have to live with this.
    is it capitol 1?
    I had that very same issue with a cabelas card not once but twice
    they did however not hold me responsible for the charges
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Had someone get my card # earlier in the year. Got a call from the CC company about questionable charges, so they cancelled the card and issued my a new one. Called in to activate the card and then called the company about 10 min later. There were already two unauthorized charges on the new card!!! Cancelled that one one and the gal said they would expedite me a new card (had a business trip coming up).
    Day before I left, new card still wasn't in (week later) and when I called, the lady on the phone said there is nothing showing me having a new card re-issued Took two more weeks to get a replacement in

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Had someone get my card # earlier in the year. Got a call from the CC company about questionable charges, so they cancelled the card and issued my a new one. Called in to activate the card and then called the company about 10 min later. There were already two unauthorized charges on the new card!!! Cancelled that one one and the gal said they would expedite me a new card (had a business trip coming up).
    Day before I left, new card still wasn't in (week later) and when I called, the lady on the phone said there is nothing showing me having a new card re-issued Took two more weeks to get a replacement in
    Always good to have a spare card you never use, just in case.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    My preference is pay with paypal, any fraud there is easy to dispute and I have een a member there so many years/ran so much money thru them that they give me preferential treatment on disputes. Business account too helps...
    I like to use PayPal when it is offered, just to avoid putting in my credit card information. Ive only had a single dispute in all the years I’ve used them. It was settled in my favor, but it took two months before I had my money back. Credit card disputes have been settled much faster.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Use PayPal where and when we can to pay.
    We have found Restaurants, (delivery) where you give them the card number. More so now with the (Civid stuff)
    Doordash....
    Self Check-outs (Walmart)
    *** Gas n Food store

other half has the cards on lock-down any transactions she gets messages

we have one card with a "low" credit limit that we use more than any, it has
    been compromised no less than 6 times. mostly car rentals, flowers, books,
    a "Mac", what they do is make a purchase under 2 bucks most of the time
    just to see if it goes through. One they are still "trying" to use in Florida. I read
    somewhere, that there are Agreements between the Credit Card provider and
    Retailer, where they get the card nfo quicker than you, sometimes before you
    even get the new card. I know people who have had "charges" on the replacement
    card before they get it and had to dispute them.
    Our cards with high limits don't really get used that much only for larger purchases
    mostly in person transactions. Bank cards, linked to accounts..never..

Cards & Accounts get "hacked" more so now ... and they take their time
    to notify you in most cases. Then emails that look legit people open.

-Rock

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Around here, everyone established their credit with a Sears Roebuck card.
    Thanks for being as old as i am. That Sears or a Gulf Gas card
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast