Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don’t have an answer…

Boolit Master

I don’t have an answer…

After a breakfast of blueberry muffins and bacon, my wife and I were planning the day over the last half cup of coffee. I had some tooling and parts arrive yesterday, so I mentioned I needed to fix a couple of issues on two of my Rugers and a Smith.

She made notice of it being a common occurrence that I had some gun “mechanicing” to do. Then she asked the fundamental question. “Why don’t you just buy better guns?”

Let me be the first to admit she clearly has the higher ground here.
    Last edited by shooting on a shoestring; 09-17-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Oops
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Sounds like tacit permission to buy more guns to me!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    After a breakfast of blueberry muffins and bacon, my wife and I were planning the day over the last half cup of coffee. I had some tooling and parts arrive yesterday, so I mentioned I needed to fix a couple of issues on two of my Rugers and a Smith.

She made notice of it being a common occurrence that I had some gun “mechanicing” to do. Then she asked the fundamental question. “Why don’t you just buy better guns?”

Let me be the first to admit she clearly has the higher ground here.
    Well, you could tell her that you love adding value to them by fixing them. Or you just go with it! Good luck!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    Sounds like tacit permission to buy more guns to me!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    That makes perfect sense to me! So it must be wrong!

Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    ^what he said.
    I need to buy better guns, perfectly designed to fit me.

Somehow, I think that will not fly in my house. In fact, I think my wife prefers that I am tinkering in the basement rather than getting under foot upstairs.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have Rugers. They have been tinkered on some over the years and do what I need them to do. I got most of them when times were pretty lean financially. I have Fondled Freedom Arms revolvers. They are excellent. They are priced accordingly. In my world I would rather have a several guns that shoot well with a bit of tinkering than one excellent one.

If you have high end guns and they work for you I am in your corner.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Sometimes it is better just to shut up and walk away. She who knows best need not be provoked to early in the day. Not smart and doing so never ends well for the male gender.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Mine told me if I buy any more guns that she would shoot me with one! I had to do outside the box thinking and found a way around that statement. I just buy all the parts and assemble them. Although in all the assemblies done, some brand new ones may have made it inside...IIRC

Boolit Master

Don't tell my wife, but when I buy a new one, I take it to the garage. Then I take a bunch of the ones I already have out to the garage for cleaning. As long as she doesn't count, I'm safe when I bring the new one in among the other ones. She hasn't noticed,,,,yet!

Boolit Grand Master

My wife told me to sell that old 1968 Chevelle I have ... I wouldn't have to keep monkeying around with it ...
    Wives just don't understand our love for older things and our need to monkey around ... gives us a sense of purpose ... I rather enjoy monkey business and old muscle cars with big V-8's and Cherry Bomb glass packs and 'Classic " old school revolvers .

There's No Business Like Monkey Business !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Pass along a couple of oldies but goodies. A writer back in the late 60's wrote a humorous piece and included were these two gems:
    1. Local furniture store can't get anything right. Every time they deliver a piece of furniture to my wife, someone get s mixed up and includes a Browning, Winchester, or Reminton in the delivery.
    2. Our local carpet store has a problem with deliveries. Every time we take delivery of a carpet or rug, they roll up a shotgun, rifle or pistol in the center of the roll.
    They both are really nice folks and I just cannot bring myself to call them down for their "little" mistakes.
    He also said that he and one of his buddies constantly swap guns around in each others safes so that the two wives have a hard time keeping track of whose guns are whose.
    You just got to be devious these days. james

Boolit Master
    Gee,, it's just better to have a wife that likes, enjoys & wants more guns! Like mine!

Boolit Master
    I agree with one of the posts above. Sounds like permission given for a new firearm to me. My wife doesn't mind me buying a gun as long as she doesn't have to pay for it. I must come up with the $$ myself and cannot be taken out of "general" household money.
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master
    So after considering her question most of today, I realize that in those 3 revolvers I have collectively burned up about 600 primers diagnosing, tweaking, adjusting, firing for function, firing for a baseline, checking accuracy improvement etc…. Then throw in a few hundred dollars in reamers, hones and parts, plus a few pounds of lead and half a pound of powder, a Standard Manufacturing SA ready to run out of the box really isn’t ridiculous at all.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    My wife likes her guns. She encourages me to buy what I want.

She also knows I like to tinker with just about anything mechanical. Over the years it has served her well as I have bought and restored several sewing machines that she has used over the years. She says those machines really belong to me and she is just using them so they get properly exercised We have 10 in the house right now and will add more as I find them. She also likes that sewing machines cost a lot less than motorcycles, cars, trucks, rvs, boats, etc. FWIW, I also sew bags, packs, seat covers, etc for my own use.

Boolit Master

You should have just asked where the checkbook was.

Shortly after she asked the fundamental question, a trail of dust led to the LGS.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yep, sounds like a kitchen pass to go shopping to me and it looks like you've got some trade material to work with.

Boolit Buddy
    As a competitive shooter I can say I have learned to stay away from less expensive handguns. I often shoot several matches per week and many guns are simply not built to handle that kind of use. There are certainly many superior aftermarket parts that one can drop into a Smith or Glock auto to help them hold up but in the end, you still have lipstick on a pig. A $5 part that fails and costs you a win is a hard lesson to accept with a smile. My wife understands that guns are simply a different form of capitol. Sure, most will go down in value with hard use but so will that $40K car in the garage.

Boolit Grand Master

My wife is not into shooting or guns as I am. But, years ago I had (and have) a SIG 236 - a light gun. She had fired it in .40. I had a LeMat delivered and opened the box. My wife picked it up and exclaimed "Now that's how a gun OUGHT to be built!"
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast